Swype/Shapewriter issues

Mongoose

Reaction score
Let me preface by saying that I already KNOW that Swype is not developed for the Droid.

Both programs seem to truncate or leave out significant portions of SMS/MMS/email text on my phone. It's a hit and miss type of situation and I have found no consistent pattern so I am unable to duplicate the condition.

If these programs are unreliable then spending money on them might well be throwing it away. I know there was another person who experienced this type of issue but I can't find the entry.

I like both programs. The Shapewriter keyboard redesign is so small that I can't read the "shift" symbols or use it effectively so I am leaning more towards Swype, but both seem to have this problem of leaving text out of the message.

The only consistently accurate performer has been the DROID OEM keyboards.

Has there been a solution to this or has anyone else experienced the problem ?

I had earlier said that I was more than willing to pay for the programs/apps but I am reluctantly coming to the conclusion that while excellent in concept...the execution is faulty and thats putting me on the fence...and I really dislike that. It could be bad if these were a part and parcel of upcoming phones but they were unreliable...comments and suggestions please...:icon_ devil:

Last edited:

Guurzak

Reaction score
Both programs seem to truncate or leave out significant portions of SMS/MMS/email text on my phone.

I don't understand what issue you're trying to report. Exactly what are you doing when the problem occurs, and exactly what do you observe as it happens? Are you saying that words you've already entered into the text field get deleted while you're entering more words?

OP
Mongoose

Mongoose

Reaction score
Sorry that wasn't clear to you. What I am saying is that when the SMS/MMS/email is rec'd by the other phone or computer...it may come out as garbled nonsense. It is definitely NOT what I typed. A portion is rec'd but not the entire message as I entered it...for instance, If I sent the message:

"Let's meet at Red Robin at 2:00p"

The recipient might get:

"Lets...Roin...p"

As previously mentioned....there is no consistency to this.

I hope this clarify's what I'm trying to say.... :icon_ devil:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry that wasn't clear to you. What I am saying is that when the SMS/MMS/email is rec'd by the other phone or computer...it may come out as garbled nonsense. It is definitely NOT what I typed. A portion is rec'd but not the entire message as I entered it...for instance, If I sent the message:

"Let's meet at Red Robin at 2:00p"

The recipient might get:

"Lets...Roin...p"

As previously mentioned....there is no consistency to this.

I hope this clarify's what I'm trying to say.... :icon_ devil:
That's odd. If you enable the stock Android keyboard as the main input... do you still have these issues?
If you leave Swype or Shapewriter as your default on screen keyboard, and then send a message typed on the physical keyboard, do you have the same issue?

OP
Mongoose

Mongoose

Reaction score
Hi Martin
I do not have the issue when I use the original DROID keyboard.

I currently have all 3 virtual keyboards enabled and select which one I am going to use based on the complexity and importance of the message I am sending/responding.

I enabled all three when I began having this difficulty...I wonder if I should just keep one enabled. It seems to happen most with Swype...but I use Swype the most because the Shapewriter keys are so tiny...

I havent tried the actual physical keyboard...unhhh...I'm embarrassed to say it never occurred to me because it is soooo slow (for me) compared to the virtual ones...:icon_ devil:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would just keep one enabled. If you're entering text and need to switch input methods... Long Press on the text entry field and select 'input method'. This will allow you to change from Swype to stock keyboard.
I haven't had any issues with Swype... but I also do not have Shapewriter installed.

OP
Mongoose

Mongoose

Reaction score
I'm familiar with changing "input method" via long press on the text entry field and will reduce the v-keyboard to Swype and see what happens.

It's kind of frustrating because what looks correct when I send it....is coming out as junk on my wife's Voyager phone.

I am interested in getting to the root issue so I can decide what to do in the future. I know one other person had this issue also...I need to search for that.

Anyway...Thanks Martin, I'll reduce to one virtual keyboard at a time and see what happens...:icon_ devil:

Guurzak

Reaction score
The only time I've had problems with garbled transmissions is when I try to send texts containing symbols or nonstandard punctuation such as the copyright symbol, ellipsis, and so forth. When I stick to periods and commas, things go through fine. Is there any chance that you're using the Swype keyboard to add keyboard symbols which you would not ordinarily use?

OP
Mongoose

Mongoose

Reaction score
I don't think so but I will have to pay more attention to it. One thing that I do is to use multiple periods (ex. "...Not now.....") to delineate or emphasize a point. I will stop that and see if it makes a difference. :icon_ devil:

Reaction score
Are you using handcent or any thing like that?

Have you uninstalled shapewriter?

Maybe there is a conflict with another app?

just some ideas for ya.

OP
Mongoose

Mongoose

Reaction score
Are you using handcent or any thing like that?

Have you uninstalled shapewriter?

Maybe there is a conflict with another app?

just some ideas for ya.

I do use Handcent but thats about it. I need the larger font it provides to read my text messages.

Shapewriter is still installed but not "selected". Based on Martin's advice I only have Swype "selected".

There could possibly be a an app conflict but for the life of me, I have NO idea how to even go about testing that...especially since the only way I can tell if a message is garbled is when the recipient lets me know. Thanks. I will keep plugging away at this...:icon_ devil:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can always try uninstalling Shapewriter or Swype if the issue persists, and keep only one. See if that helps. It may be an app conflict. I'm not sure.
You could always send a text to your e-mail or vice versa to see if you can replicate the problem... without having to rely on someone else receiving the text :)

Reaction score
Shapewriter is still installed but not "selected". Based on Martin's advice I only have Swype "selected".

There could possibly be a an app conflict but for the life of me, I have NO idea how to even go about testing that...especially since the only way I can tell if a message is garbled is when the recipient lets me know. Thanks. I will keep plugging away at this...:icon_ devil:

Here is what I am thinking.

You are seeing the typed text in the input box, so it sounds like swype is getting the info to handcent, but for some reason handcent isn't sending the same thing out.

I use swype with the regular messaging program and have noticed no problems.

try using the regular sms for a bit and see if there is still a problem.

OP
Mongoose

Mongoose

Reaction score
You can always try uninstalling Shapewriter or Swype if the issue persists, and keep only one. See if that helps. It may be an app conflict. I'm not sure.
You could always send a text to your e-mail or vice versa to see if you can replicate the problem... without having to rely on someone else receiving the text :)

Good point...hadn't thought about writing myself ! Hmmmm, wonder what I could say. I think I'll text myself a passage from a book or something. Dan Brown's new one is pretty good.

OP
Mongoose

Mongoose

Reaction score
Originally posted by BobthePhotoGuy
Here is what I am thinking.

You are seeing the typed text in the input box, so it sounds like swype is getting the info to handcent, but for some reason handcent isn't sending the same thing out.

I use swype with the regular messaging program and have noticed no problems.

try using the regular sms for a bit and see if there is still a problem.

I will give this a try. It seems like a quick way to test Handcent compatibility. Thanks :icon_ devil:

Last edited: