Swype vs SlideIT vs Shapewriter? All look great (and similar)!

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Got it working, pretty cool...take some getting used to though.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Downloaded SlideIt this morning. My initial impression is very positive. Rivals Swype in accuracy and quickness. Much easier to get used to (for me) than Shapewriter, though I'm not sure why. Have to say, though, that I'd gotten used to the looping action for double letters and it's a hard habit to break.

Seems the editing issues plague all three. I'm going to sit down and try to compare them side by side when I have a chance.

rothenbj

Reaction score
Downloaded SlideIt this morning. My initial impression is very positive. Rivals Swype in accuracy and quickness. Much easier to get used to (for me) than Shapewriter, though I'm not sure why. Have to say, though, that I'd gotten used to the looping action for double letters and it's a hard habit to break.

Seems the editing issues plague all three. I'm going to sit down and try to compare them side by side when I have a chance.

Well this is my first attempt at using SlideIT after using a Swype for weeks now. It seems to work fairly well, perhaps a bit easier than Swype but a bit early to tell. I'll try it for awhile and come back later with a further opinion. Just needed an excuse for playing with it to get a feel.

Phillipsave

Reaction score
I just downloaded SlideIt as well, and think it is excellent, far more accurate and easy for me than Shapewriter, much more like Swype, which I had been using for many weeks. It is a great relief, because I was worried what would happen when Swype's beta app would be withdrawn, because they say it is time-limited; but now, I'll just move to SlideIT (edited), perhaps sooner rather than later, because it's choice of optional words is easier to use, and there's no threat of withdrawal. It will be interesting to see which approach has the better business model, as I suspect that most beta Swype users will switch to SlideIt.

Last edited:

gatorbait

Reaction score
It is a great relief, because I was worried what would happen when Swype's beta app would be withdrawn, because they say it is time-limited;

So, is the fact that Swype "beta" is time-limited official from the developers? I remember reading speculation that it may be time-limited, but nobody had any concrete evidence.

Phillipsave

Reaction score
Yes, Gatorbait, other threads have discussed that Swype's business model is to charge companies to use Swype as their main smartphone typing system, and that they won't sell it to individuals outside of that approach; and it is confirmed on Swype's own website, although they say they may consider individuals in the future at some point. People were worried that when the OS for the Droid gets updated, Swype would be erased, but apparently it hasn't happened. Of course, there are those who might develop a hack around such issues.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just downloaded SlideIt as well, and think it is excellent, far more accurate and easy for me than Shapewriter, much more like Swype, which I had been using for many weeks. It is a great relief, because I was worried what would happen when Swype's beta app would be withdrawn, because they say it is time-limited; but now, I'll just move to Shapewriter, perhaps sooner rather than later, because it's choice of optional words is easier to use, and there's no threat of withdrawal. It will be interesting to see which approach has the better business model, as I suspect that most beta Swype users will switch to SlideIt.

I think you meant you'll be moving to SlideIt if Swype isn't available. And with that correction, my experience mirrors yours in all respects. Been using SlideIt for a couple of days now and I'm getting over Swype withdrawal.

Have to say though that I still think Swype has the better business model. In fact, I'm not sure how SlideIt plans to make money by giving away their application. Perhaps they plan to make it up in volume. :)

In any event, I'm finding that I'm adjusting to SlideIt much more quickly than I adjusted to Shapewriter. Others' mileage may vary, of course.

Phillipsave

Reaction score
Jsh, I think SlideIT's app is a free beta product, at least I downloaded "SlideIT Lite" from the market, and they talk about charging on their site. So, I suspect they will start charging for downloads once they perfect it more.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Jsh, I think SlideIT's app is a free beta product, at least I downloaded "SlideIT Lite" from the market, and they talk about charging on their site. So, I suspect they will start charging for downloads once they perfect it more.

I'm sure they will. My comment was a throwaway remark. :) But the configuration of "free" vs. "paid" apps is a minefield for software developers. The "free" version has to be sufficiently functional to attract customers but not so functional as to discourage purchasing the product. There are various approaches to this problem, e.g. providing support only for licensed users, limiting some crucial functionality to the paid version, "trial" periods, etc.

But given the abundance of free apps in the Android market it tends to drive down the expected price of most paid applications. And in the long run that is not good either for developers or consumers by making support and development difficult to underwrite.

Don't get me wrong. In the short run I appreciate the fact that the beta version of SlideIT is free. And for such a crucial application, I'd be willing to pay a premium price for it. But many consumers will not. And that is undoubtedly why the folks as Swype have elected to try a different approach.

rothenbj

Reaction score
It is a great relief, because I was worried what would happen when Swype's beta app would be withdrawn, because they say it is time-limited;

So, is the fact that Swype "beta" is time-limited official from the developers? I remember reading speculation that it may be time-limited, but nobody had any concrete evidence.

They did claim that it was pirated on their website soon after the release. Then there were rumours that it was time- limited. I believe only one of those claims could be true. I personally think neither is. I think it was a part of their marketing to get it exposed and talked about in the fastest growing android market.

mitchb2

Reaction score
I agree it was "leaked" on purpose. They knew anyone who used it would be addicted like crack.
I won't ever go back to pecking on a keyboard or pulling out the horrible physical keyboard.

nighthawk700

Reaction score
I've been bouncing back and forth between ShapeWriter and SlideIT. Both have features I like. For those who use SlideIT, how do you do single letter words? (a, I). If I don't type a space in front of them, they get appended to the word I just wrote.

Phillipsave

Reaction score
Nighthawk, I don't know what the problem is, but that doesn't happen with me using SlideIT. Make sure to lift your finger after the word before the single-letter.

shawnb1824

Reaction score
I used each for a few days (ok, I've been using swype for ages) and here are my thoughts.

Swype-
I'm sure everyone know this.
Pros:
*Accuracy is amazing- made even better by having it adjustable in the options.
Cons:
*Editing is a nightmare. This is what made me look for alternatives. If I want to delete a word I have to hold the del key for ages. If I want to delete a sentence, I have to hold, lift, hold- forget it.

Just long press the box and a menu pops up. Choose "cut all" and you're good.