Swype Update

dolpns13

Reaction score
Hello.. Let me start by saying I have a rooted droid. Swype sent an email to me saying they now have an updated version of swype and went through the steps on how to install it. They first said I had to uninstall my current version of swype - which I did. When I went to the site to install the update, it will not allow my to install the package because the website does not recognize that I have an android phone - I assume this is because I am rooted. Well now because I uninstalled it, I have no swype, and cant install the update.

Does anyone know how I can get my swype back, or install the updated version? This totally sucks. I hate the default keyboard - it freaks out on me.

Please help.

cloud12077

Reaction score
Hello.. Let me start by saying I have a rooted droid. Swype sent an email to me saying they now have an updated version of swype and went through the steps on how to install it. They first said I had to uninstall my current version of swype - which I did. When I went to the site to install the update, it will not allow my to install the package because the website does not recognize that I have an android phone - I assume this is because I am rooted. Well now because I uninstalled it, I have no swype, and cant install the update.

Does anyone know how I can get my swype back, or install the updated version? This totally sucks. I hate the default keyboard - it freaks out on me.

Please help.

Check your private messeges

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
It is not because you have a rooted phone. It is because your browser is set to a User Agent of Computer or Desktop rather than Android. Change that and the install should work. It did for me.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It is not because you have a rooted phone. It is because your browser is set to a User Agent of Computer or Desktop rather than Android. Change that and the install should work. It did for me.
My UA string on my browser is set as "Desktop"

I have a rooted phone and Swype's website had no problem identifying my phone as Android.

OP
dolpns13

dolpns13

Reaction score

you are totally right.. my user agent is set to desktop.. thanks for the heads up!

EbE404

Reaction score
They first said I had to uninstall my current version of swype - which I did.
Make sure you remove the Swype Installer as well or you'll have problems installing the update.
yeah, I removed everything. The apps and the files in my file manager

There is a thread here with some other people having problems and various resolutions:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/koush/80432-swype-installation-errors-cm6-2.html

Seems there are a variety of routes to get this to work (some seem to work for some, but not all). However, most seem to be able to get it resolved without resorting to voodoo or ritual sacrifice.

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
You can have your browser set as desktop all the time and it will not affect swype. The only time you need to set your desktop to Android is while you are downloading and installing the new swype, then you can put it back to desktop and all will be good.

Also, I had to delete all my prior downloads before the update would work. So go into your downloads folder (using root explorer) and delete all the prior swype downloads.