Swype lost with Froyo??

DP03

Reaction score
My phone had Swype installed and still does, but it doesn't work after the update this am. The Swype "trail" still appears when I drag accross the keyboard, but the words don't come up?

Anyone else lose Swype with the update?

dumluk2002

Reaction score
I am a beta user and am having issues. I uninstalled everything then had the installer sent to me, but after a partial install , it tells me that swype is already installed and I have to uninstall...so I look and there it is again! so after uninstalling I go thru process again only to have it tell me that the package failed because swype is already installed! HELPPPP

EbE404

Reaction score
I am a beta user and am having issues. I uninstalled everything then had the installer sent to me, but after a partial install , it tells me that swype is already installed and I have to uninstall...so I look and there it is again! so after uninstalling I go thru process again only to have it tell me that the package failed because swype is already installed! HELPPPP

Uninstall both the app and the installer. Use the e-mail you were sent in the beta to receive a new installer file, then install as normal. That should fix it.

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Uninstall both the app and the installer. Use the e-mail you were sent in the beta to receive a new installer file, then install as normal. That should fix it.

yup, done it MANY times, including yesterday, and this works.

Derekweb

Reaction score
OTA went well, stock, except swype reinstall

Got the OTA this morning on stock droid 1. All went well, LauncherPro, Beautiful weather, pandora, Last FM, lots more. Had to reinstall swype, only problem so far.

chilzb

Reaction score

yup, done it MANY times, including yesterday, and this works.

I had the same problem for awhile. What ended up working for me was clearing the Download Cache before I re-installed both the Installer and the App. Hope this helps.

dumluk2002

Reaction score
Ill try clearing the download cache and see if that helps.......so far no suggestions have worked

sstrool

Reaction score
I am still not up with Swype. I did all the suggested fixes. I can install but swype does not work. I see a message that it was designed for a different device.

EbE404

Reaction score
I am still not up with Swype. I did all the suggested fixes. I can install but swype does not work. I see a message that it was designed for a different device.

Wow, sorry you're having so many problems. I searched through the Swype forums, and came across a thread with a light variation on the uninstall/reinstall thing. Quoting from the Swype Forum post:

<<please try again in this exact order:
1) Uninstall Swype and SwypeInstaller
2) Uninstall any 3rd party task manager you have (you can reinstall later)
3) Delete all copies of Swype-Installer.apk from the "download" folder on your SDcard
4) Reinstall SwypeInstaller ONLY
5) Reboot your device
6) Run SwypeInstaller first thing when your device is ready
7) Complete installation

If that doesn't work, send me an email (brian.resnik[at]swypeinc[dot]com) and I'll walk you through some more advanced troubleshooting.>>

You can find the complete thread here:

Swype does not work on final Nexus One Froyo build (FRF85B)

Sounds like that fix has worked for a lot of folks.

Please let us know if this works or not-while I'm not having a problem, I'd like to try to figure out what is happening.

webby

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed instructions, EbE404. Much appreciated! dancedroid

I had tried many many times to successfully reinstall Swype on my Droid after manually installing 2.2, but it would never work. The one thing different that you advised that seemed to make the difference, was to re-boot after-re-installing the Swype Installer, but before installing Swype. Once I did it that way it worked. dancedroid

EbE404

Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed instructions, EbE404. Much appreciated! dancedroid

I had tried many many times to successfully reinstall Swype on my Droid after manually installing 2.2, but it would never work. The one thing different that you advised that seemed to make the difference, was to re-boot after-re-installing the Swype Installer, but before installing Swype. Once I did it that way it worked. dancedroid

Happy to help, and I'm glad that this seemed to sort it. I've never had to reboot after uninstall and never had an issue, so I'm not quite sure what was going on there, but in any case, I'm glad it worked.

Cheers

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Also, swype had an update after the 2.2 came out. If you are a member of the beta then you can go to swype's web page, log in and request the update be sent out to you. I had to do that to get swype working again on my phone.