Swype/Shapewriter issues

OP
Mongoose

Mongoose

Reaction score
I may be getting somewhere...it seems that Swype and Handcent are not so compatible on my phone. I have deleted Shapewriter and made the OEM messaging system my primary one (it's driving my eyes nuts). So far my messages have all gone thru without any screw-ups. I have made them pretty lengthy so I am well into the MMS arena. Emails seem to be OK as well. I have also eliminated (or at least worked on) my tendency to use multiple periods for emphasis.

This was all yesterday !

Now I am going to reactivate Handcent and see if it makes a difference. Will post more later. :icon_ devil:

OP
Mongoose

Mongoose

Reaction score
Well, a few weeks down the road, I wound up discovering that Handcent was part of the problem so I got rid of it and use the OEM messaging system...kind of a bummer because I like Handcent.

Shapewriter has been 100% accurate with the OEM messaging system but the keyboard layout really sucks a big one...and it doesn't seem to work well with handcent.

Swype has caused problems on both Handcent and the OEM keyboard. Seems the problem was Sywpe all along. Now, a lot of folks report that they have no problems with Swype so I am wondering if I had a bad install.

The only thing that has been consistently 100% accurate is the OEM keyboard and messaging system...

I am currently splitting use between Shapewriter and OEM virtual keyboard and OEM messaging.

50%Kraut

Reaction score
Wow, I think I might have found the right thread? I have Swype + Handcent, but not Shapewriter. My problem is sending Handcent messages to an email address. 100% is sent, but only 10% is received, the rest are blanks.Tried uninstalling etc, no luck.
Your input?
Thanks
ekiM

Hooked on DROID

M

Matth3w

Never had that problem but I quickly switched to Shapewriter and Handcent. Haven't had the problem you are describing with the following combinations:

Swype + Handcent
Shapewriter + Handcent
Shapewriter + OEM
Shapewriter + ChompSMS

If you like Handcent, but are having problems, try Chomp. Seems to be less laggy and buggy for me.

Either way, having two keyboards is probably never a good idea, and I have to say it seems to be another issue than just the combination you described because I never had that issue.

Perhaps the circumstances were different, service issues, etc. It's going to be a tough one to diagnose. Sorry I don't have a solution, but I just wanted you to know I never had this problem (if that helps).

OP
Mongoose

Mongoose

Reaction score
Wow, I think I might have found the right thread? I have Swype + Handcent, but not Shapewriter. My problem is sending Handcent messages to an email address. 100% is sent, but only 10% is received, the rest are blanks.Tried uninstalling etc, no luck.
Your input?
Thanks
ekiM

Hooked on DROID
It's an interesting one allright...OK Let me see if I can describe where I'm at with this thing. I like the way Matth3w laid it out so I'm going to use his format..BTW, mine is chronological. When I started out I had Swype/Shapewriter/Handcent all installed on the phone. Now, I also noted that your issue was with emails, not sms/mms...thats ok, so was mine so what I'm saying effected that also. Here goes...

Swype + Handcent (HC) = garbled text
Shapewriter (SW) + HC = garbled text
Swype + OEM = garbled text (HC deleted, SW deleted)
SW + OEM sms/mms/email = perfect (Swype deleted) (on day 4 error free and thats good enough for me)

Today, I re-downloaded Swype but NOT off any forum links. I went straight to the Swype website ( Download Swype for Android Beta | Android Central ) and followed their directions for the Droid. So far it has been flawless. (96 texts, 1 email) I am using it with the OEM sms/mms/email system. I still have SW installed but it is deactivated.

If Swype continues to perform perfectly with the OEM system then in about 2 - 3 days, I will reintroduce Handcent and see if the problem resurfaces. If it does not then it was either a faulty link, a faulty download or both, that I initially had.

To deal with your issue..try sending your email using the OEM texting system with Swype. Shut down Handcent....see if that works and see what happens.

Good luck...I'd like to know what happened so please post results or PM me...Thanks...:icon_ devil:

50%Kraut

Reaction score
Ok, here is what happened:
Used Handcent, typing with voice activation, which I absolutely can't do without, *** (see footnote)4messages to 2 different emails, and all was well. Tried Swype on one more,OK too.
But, found that regular messaging sent it via 'myself'@vtext.com, and Handcent 'myself'@vzwpix.com. Never set it up that way, and spent an hour trying to change it.
But as of this moment everything seams to work OK. So leave it alone I guess?
Thanks guys
ekiM
*** up to $3000 fine for me to text , so a quick voice typed "I'll see you at the Forge (Lanesboro,Ma) in an hour" works perfect for me.:icon_ devil:
LOL

Hooked on DROID

OP
Mongoose

Mongoose

Reaction score
Ok, *** up to $3000 fine for me to text , so a quick voice typed "I'll see you at the Forge (Lanesboro,Ma) in an hour" works perfect for me.:icon_ devil:
LOL

$3000 fine...dude !!! Holy Cow!!! You must be a texting god or something...anyway,yeah, if it's working then don't try to fix it.

That damned Swype did a garbled text on me today. I was po'd. It is looking more and more like Sywpe is the culprit...I did note that on the garbled message, I had gone back and corrected an error so I am thinking that has something to do with it. I have an experiment I am trying...it's fairly simple and all it amounts to is deleting everything back to the error and re-entering the data...kinda sucks...but.. I'll see if that works...so far so good... :icon_ devil:

50%Kraut

Reaction score
Hey Mongoose
Re: up to $3000 fine, that would be while driving a rather large vehicle. Thought the update on Handcent today would fix things, but it a no go. Still can't find where to change Handcent from sending through vzwpix instead of vtext.
Give it time, Rom was not built in a day
Thanks ekiM

Hooked on DROID

OP
Mongoose

Mongoose

Reaction score
Ahhh....probably not a wise decision on your part. Tough way to learn a lesson.
I think your settings are in Settings>accounts and settings. I would start there.
I also think that the bad egg in the carton is swype...good luck.

bigthinker

Reaction score
Ok, *** up to $3000 fine for me to text , so a quick voice typed "I'll see you at the Forge (Lanesboro,Ma) in an hour" works perfect for me.:icon_ devil:
LOL

$3000 fine...dude !!! Holy Cow!!! You must be a texting god or something...anyway,yeah, if it's working then don't try to fix it.

That damned Swype did a garbled text on me today. I was po'd. It is looking more and more like Sywpe is the culprit...I did note that on the garbled message, I had gone back and corrected an error so I am thinking that has something to do with it. I have an experiment I am trying...it's fairly simple and all it amounts to is deleting everything back to the error and re-entering the data...kinda sucks...but.. I'll see if that works...so far so good... :icon_ devil:
Hey Mongoose, I would get rid of Swype NOW!!! I BET your issue clears up....

OP
Mongoose

Mongoose

Reaction score
LOL

Way to easy...besides, I like Swype...it just pisses me off on occasion so I dont use it for anything really important. I would LIKE to find out what the issue is so if it surfaces for others than I can recommend a solution besides "delete"....:icon_ devil:

OP
Mongoose

Mongoose

Reaction score

Way to easy...besides, I like Swype...it just pisses me off on occasion so I dont use it for anything really important. I would LIKE to find out what the issue is so if it surfaces for others than I can recommend a solution besides "delete"....:icon_ devil:
Well...BT..I guess you were right all along. Swype is the issue and that sucker is gone. Had one to many garbled emails and it just got way to frustrating. Shapewriter is trickier to use but in the couple weeks I've been running it I have had zero garbled texts. It's mostly just a matter of getting used to it. Maybe I'll try Swype again in a few months...but for now, it goes into the trash with the other crappy apps. Bummer. :icon_ devil: