Swype vs SlideIT vs Shapewriter? All look great (and similar)!

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well this was posted with SlideIT. I'm still getting the hang of it. Of course, I've only been using this for the past three minutes or so. But the program seems really smart as far as predicting what it is that I'm trying to say. I don't know if I'm completely sold on it yet though. This is the first time I've tried a slider style keyboard before. I'll try swype as well to get a comparison.

Two of the most notable differences, apart from the different ways the two keyboards handle editing, are:

() Capitalization. Swype uses a unique "swype up above the keyboard" motion to capitalize a word.

() Double letters. In swype you "loop" over a letter to choose it twice. In SlideIt, you type "god" and SlideIt suggests you meant "good."

Ken_photo

Reaction score
Just purchased and installed slideIt on my Droid.

One question: When I am imputing a password that starts with a NONcap letter, I have not been able to do it. It automatically goes to capitalize the first letter. This isn't a problem with the stock keyboard.

Is there a way to do this (also to start a sentence with a noncap (small) letter)?

fgw

Reaction score
I must say that the editing keyboard is an answer to my prayers. Too bad I didn't know about it for the past few weeks.

Hope this helps someone else.

-Warr

WOW!!! Thanks! Definitely helped me.

Helped me too. I own SlideIt and am a beta user for Swype. SlideIt is good but I personally prefer Swype. Probably because I used it first and got used to it. However, I also prefer Swype's keyboard over SlideIt's but - again - it is just a personal preference. They are both good apps and the whole concept is awesome. I love being able to slide my finger around to input text and being able to tap out a word that might be more difficult. Thumbs up to both apps.

ripstar

Reaction score

One question: When I am imputing a password that starts with a NONcap letter, I have not been able to do it. It automatically goes to capitalize the first letter. This isn't a problem with the stock keyboard.

Is there a way to do this (also to start a sentence with a noncap (small) letter)?

I am wondering the same thing. I just turned auto caps off(which sucks).

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

ShapeWriter seems to have better solution to the capitalization problem. And that brings me to another question.

Anybody been using ShapeWriter lately? I've noticed a number of updates (most recently this morning) and was wondering if someone who uses it regularly has found significant improvements/changes/etc.

Ken_photo

Reaction score

Thats been my solution as well. Send an email to the developer for feedback.

Loving the slideIT keyboard and the only other area that I find glitches in is the copy/paste issues. Not working at times and just pasting previous copy.

EVILOLIVE

Reaction score

ShapeWriter seems to have better solution to the capitalization problem. And that brings me to another question.

Anybody been using ShapeWriter lately? I've noticed a number of updates (most recently this morning) and was wondering if someone who uses it regularly has found significant improvements/changes/etc.

I use ShapeWriter 100% of the time. After the updates, I've noticed a lot of shorter words that I would have to type in normally because they didn't show up by swiping, work now. I'm drawing a blank as to which exact words, but I noticed quite a few. :)

Ken_photo

Reaction score

Loving the slideIT keyboard and the only other area that I find glitches in is the copy/paste issues. Not working at times and just pasting previous copy.

Found the caps on solution for passwords. Go to the numbers/special characters board and click on ABC button instead of SlidIT (for pressing rather than sliding). When that is in that mode the first character is not capitalized.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
Do a search for "SWYPE" on this site and you can download the latest
version of "SWYPE", yes...right here on this site.

Yeah i got Swype and it is my main keyboard but SlideIT is very close in comparison. Both have their Pros and Cons and both are much better than the stock keyboard or ShapeWriter.

What makes them both better than shapewriter?

Shapewriter doesn't quite keep up with Swype or SlideIT and is not as accurate. There are better features in Swype and SlideIT than there are in Shapewriter.

kcook323

Reaction score
After using Swype, SlideIT, and Shapewriter, I personally love Shapewriter the best.

Ken_photo

Reaction score

Found the caps on solution for passwords. Go to the numbers/special characters board and click on ABC button instead of SlideIT (for pressing rather than sliding). When that is in that mode the first character is not capitalized.

Heard back fron the developer: an update will solve the problem and automatically detect when passwords are requested and shut off autocapitalization.

dfmember

Reaction score
Does anyone here know how to add SlideIt Spanish to the keyboard? I tend to get the run-around with Google wanting more of my info and to join another one of its sites (or whatever). Has anyone added Spanish and how did you do it?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here know how to add SlideIt Spanish to the keyboard? I tend to get the run-around with Google wanting more of my info and to join another one of its sites (or whatever). Has anyone added Spanish and how did you do it?

Not near my phone (unbelievable, eh?) but I seem to recall that the various language packs for SlideIt are available as separate apps in the Market.

dfmember

Reaction score
Thank you! But....since I downloaded Spanish, now when I try to SlideIt, it says SlideIt not allowed in ABC mode. Ummmm.....now nothing works. What'd I do wrong?

Sorry 'bout that....I just restarted my Droid and SlideIt came back working fine.

Last edited:

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thank you! But....since I downloaded Spanish, now when I try to SlideIt, it says SlideIt not allowed in ABC mode. Ummmm.....now nothing works. What'd I do wrong?

Sorry 'bout that....I just restarted my Droid and SlideIt came back working fine.

Glad it worked for you...And happy my fading recall is actually working... Pay it forward.