Swype on Moto Droid [Video]

I can't believe you fell for that story about CIA neuroscientists. The CIA clearly put out that story as part of a disinformation campaign. In fact, the CIA is already able to control your entire brain activity whenever needed. That's how they got you to believe the story that this ability will come sometime in the "future." Of course they're also controlling me as I type this. I would put on a tin-foil hat, but that's probably part of their plan too. Most likely it just improves reception.

Just remember, your brain is not the boss. :eek:

OK, feeling really dumb here. I can't figure out how to install swype. I'm trying to follow the directions on the Download Swype page but not seeing any .apk file. Or is the folder the apk file. Anyway, how do I install a folder?

I went through the tutorial but still can't don't understand what needs to be done to capitalize a letter. I touch the letter and drag my finger above the keyboard, but that's not working. What am I doing wrong?

The tutorial has you typing the cap letter and moving above the keyboard then back down which is fine. However, I've found it just as easy as hitting cap key then just Swyping away. For me it's a lot more fluid.

I don't know if this has been addressed later in the thread, but people have questioned getting the punctuation in a word. That's addressed in the tutorial, but when writing the word, just swipe to the punctuation as you're going through the word and somehow it figures out what you meant. AMAZING:icon_ banana:

Does anyone else find it really awkward to swype in landscape mode? Going from one end of the keyboard to the other is incredibly awkward to swype for me.

Everyone's different. I've read posts that people love the portrait but prefer a regular keyboard landscape. Myself, I'm just the opposite, landscape rocks for me where I find portrait too close, although I still use it that way in a pinch, or should I say swype.

This was probably already addressed in an earlier post, but frankly I am too lazy to read all 12 pages.

As I understand from posts on AndroidCentral and Mobilecrunch, the Swype software just uses the keystroke recording to better learn which words to use when you trace a path that is common to two or more different words. Such as in the tutorial that it has where you type "pit," which has the same path as "put." It is designed to track which one you use more often so that it will generate the correct one more frequently.

Some other speculation I have heard has said that the Swype developers track the keystrokes just for the sake of improving their algorithm, which I think is possible, but unlikely when compared to my explanation above.

If you're paranoid, just don't put credit cards, etc. into it, but I personally think that the tracking is just for local use within your own device.
----------------------
Also, for those having issues with installation, I am willing to bet you are on a Mac, like I am. For some reason when you download that .zip and unzip it, the .apk file doesn't work correctly. To circumvent this, just navigate to the download link within the Droid browser and do everything on the device. No computer is needed. PM me for further inquiry.

Last edited:
----------------------
Also, for those having issues with installation, I am willing to bet you are on a Mac, like I am. For some reason when you download that .zip and unzip it, the .apk file doesn't work correctly. To circumvent this, just navigate to the download link within the Droid browser and do everything on the device. No computer is needed. PM me for further inquiry.

That was the problem I was having. Used a Mac. Downloaded as you suggested in the Droid and worked perfectly.

I've been playing with Swype for about 10 minutes and honestly, for me it's frustrating. How do you guys with large fingers see the letters you're swyping to?

----------------------

That was the problem I was having. Used a Mac. Downloaded as you suggested in the Droid and worked perfectly.

I've been playing with Swype for about 10 minutes and honestly, for me it's frustrating. How do you guys with large fingers see the letters you're swyping to?

i have large fingers also, but luckily swype is very smart when it comes to putting the words i want on screen...itll take u 10-15 min to get the hang of it...but once u do its pretty sweet.

----------------------

The trick, I think, is the same as learning to be a "touch typist" in the old days. My typing class in jr. high back in the dark ages had IBM Selectrics with the key identifiers removed. One simply had to learn where the keys were on the bizarre QWERTY keyboard. (Originally desinged not for ergonomic reasons but to prevent the keys from crashing into one another in common letter combinations.)

This, in fact, is the same learning curve. If you're used to looking at the keyboard as you type, you may find it frustrating to find the key you need. But if you're a touch typist, your fingers "know" where those keys are. On the Swype it's just a case of training the muscles with a different set of actions.

Try not to look for the letters. Instead let your finger do your "looking" for you.

All in all, after almost 50 years of typing this is the first significant advance I've seen over the standard QWERTY keyboard.

i have large fingers also, but luckily swype is very smart when it comes to putting the words i want on screen...itll take u 10-15 min to get the hang of it...but once u do its pretty sweet.

I'm starting to get the hang of it but no way can I do it one-handed on the small keyboard...at least not without lots of practice.

you'll get the hang of it. out doest take much practice.

Okay.. Just downloaded it and it is pretty cool. The tutorial helped. This may have already been addressed but I don't want to read all 13 pages. Is there a way to have swype on potrait and stock on landscape. I really didn't have a problem with the stock soft keyboard (potrait or landscape) but I wanted to test this out and I feel its something that could be really fast. But I am hesitant because I already liked the soft keyboards. I have had the moto droid since Dec 18th and dont think I have ever seriously used the hard qwerty keyboard.

Anyways, is there a way to have swype in potrait and stock in landscape?

Okay.. Just downloaded it and it is pretty cool. The tutorial helped. This may have already been addressed but I don't want to read all 13 pages. Is there a way to have swype on potrait and stock on landscape. I really didn't have a problem with the stock soft keyboard (potrait or landscape) but I wanted to test this out and I feel its something that could be really fast. But I am hesitant because I already liked the soft keyboards. I have had the moto droid since Dec 18th and dont think I have ever seriously used the hard qwerty keyboard.

Anyways, is there a way to have swype in potrait and stock in landscape?

In your settings, have both your stock and swype keyboards checked. Anytime you're going into an import field, you can long press that field and select between the two keyboards by selecting "Input method".

I'm actually surprised that many people like swype for portrait but not landscape. I was just the opposite when I started, However, now I've gotten used to the portrait input as well.

I'm actually surprised that many people like swype for portrait but not landscape. I was just the opposite when I started, However, now I've gotten used to the portrait input as well.

I was actually the other way. I'm surprised how many people did not mention not liking it in landscape mode, lol.

I'm not sure how others hold their phone when in landscape, I hold it 2-handed with each hand on an end. This makes it very conducive to typing with your thumbs. However, swiping with one hand while holding with the other just seems awkward to me. Especially when I had to Swype from a letter on the entire opposite end of they keyboard. If the phone was laying on a flat surface, I would have no problems Swyping in landscape.

im sorry but i dont have the patients or the time to read all these post. i just want to know if this app is unavailable to new users for good or how can i get it. i want you all seem to love it . thanks

go to droidmuff.in on your phone, then go to the downloads page and follow the instructions there (if it's still on there)

Back