Swype on Moto Droid [Video]

Slntagent

Reaction score
great find...love this option..i was using the physical keyboard....till now

gentlefury

Reaction score
This thing is AMAZING!

My ten year old just tried typing Mississippi using Swype, and it worked perfectly!

He didn't even do the "loop" thingy, to indicate double letters!

This is really SOOOOO much easier to type with!

actually the more difficult the word the easier it would be to swype. How many possible words could fit the path of mississippi? It should get it right if you are remotely close and never loop the doubles.

moosc

Reaction score
wonder if swype is mad their app is leaked.oh I do use my credit cards bank info on my droid its a business tool

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My only concern is the standard warning when I was switching to Swype mode that it can record keystrokes and if you're silly enough to use your Droid to enter credit cards, or other personal information, that they could get this information. Is Swype one of those companies collecting this data?

I was thinkin the same, as long as your smart about the infomation you put in using swype...you should be good...correct?

this is true with or without Swype. Just use common sense.
Standard Warning is correct, the app is supposed to list the areas of the OS/phone it can/needs access to and since it's a keyboard app it is most definitely going to have access to keystrokes.... but any keyboard app will have access to keystrokes. :)

Shel

Reaction score
This thing is AMAZING!

My ten year old just tried typing Mississippi using Swype, and it worked perfectly!

He didn't even do the "loop" thingy, to indicate double letters!

This is really SOOOOO much easier to type with!

actually the more difficult the word the easier it would be to swype. How many possible words could fit the path of mississippi? It should get it right if you are remotely close and never loop the doubles.

Good point. You're right.

Still, Swype seems to work for most words... it's very accurate.

authority11

Reaction score
Does anyone else find it really awkward to swype in landscape mode? Going from one end of the keyboard to the other is incredibly awkward to swype for me.

allikanbe

Reaction score
Posted this on Swypes site, but thought I'd share here too for any insight/suggestions/etc.......

Installed it on my DROID and it seems to work great EXCEPT when i try to type out a text message…. In landscape mode you cannot see any choices of your contacts as you start typing in order to choose a recipient.. better explained like this:
1- open messaging
2- Press pencil icon for ‘create new message’
3- Click on ‘to’ screen
4- Type in who I want to text… If I want to text John Smith, I start typing J-O- and a drop down menu with all contact matches appear… I then tap the contact I want, John Smith
*5 – In landscape mode with Swype installed, my contact choices, as explained above in #4, do not appear
Suggestions?… or perhaps a future fix?
BTW, I know it does work in stard mode, just not landscape, which I use, and feel is best to use, for texting since the screen keyboard is bigger and you also have to drop down keyboard

I use Handcent (app) with Swype. I click on the Handcent icon and the message window opens. Touch the pencil (top left of screen) and the To: window opens. On the right side of the To window is a + sign. Touch the + sign and all your contacts show up. Touch the checkmarks of the contact you want to text. This works in portrait and landscape.
Send text.

Scott Hanna

Reaction score
Love this app. Totally amazing. Use the tutorial...and read tips.

Great tips i got yesterday....when the word box pops up, if the word you want is the top one, no need to select it, just keep swiping.

to add words that have symbols in them...like [email protected] in the letters, then long press on the word...select "select all", then tap the info button and that "word is added to the library.

lsdozer

Reaction score
I have also been wondering the same thing regarding handcent addresses. i see that you can choose the plus sign and bring up the contacts but it would be nice if it would pop up automatically.

lewis

wil318466

Reaction score
I'm coming to the thought that Swype isn't actually registering the letters all the time. Sometimes I just completely miss a letter and it just throws it in there.

Test it out. I just typed in "what" twice in Swype. I purposely missed the "w" key, hitting the E key first, then the S key first. Both times, it correctly put in "what".

So.. what I'm thinking is they must have inserted some very common patterns? Or, maybe they inserted patterns for most common words, and if that pattern comes somewhat close to the letters it is near, it will register?

Its not really a big deal.. but Swype is almost magical in its ability to work really well. It works so well I'm thinking they cheated. :)

Maybe I'm thinking too much about this.

-Wil

ciegasordomuda

Reaction score
I'm coming to the thought that Swype isn't actually registering the letters all the time. Sometimes I just completely miss a letter and it just throws it in there.

Test it out. I just typed in "what" twice in Swype. I purposely missed the "w" key, hitting the E key first, then the S key first. Both times, it correctly put in "what".

So.. what I'm thinking is they must have inserted some very common patterns? Or, maybe they inserted patterns for most common words, and if that pattern comes somewhat close to the letters it is near, it will register?

Its not really a big deal.. but Swype is almost magical in its ability to work really well. It works so well I'm thinking they cheated. :)

Maybe I'm thinking too much about this.

-Wil
Your right, it does seem to work magically and know what you mean about how crazy it is and works so well!!!

P.S. Being that there's not TOO many people who read these boards, I will tell you classified information about this App. I was secretly developed by the CIA's top neuroscientists. It use's scanners that are able to tap into your brain through your CNS on your finger tips and decipher your thoughts, thus it knows what you are thinking about typing or saying... This is why you can make mistakes because it already knows what you want to type. Their plan is to be able to access your telencephalon in order to thwart any future plans of lawlessness. In the future they plan to be able to use your CNS to implant codes directly into your axons, thus being able to control your entire brain activity whenever needed... we will all soon be eating, sleeping, talking etc at exactly the same time the Government wants us too....;)lol!

hustler616

Reaction score
this is a really cool app. thanks for the info on this. will take some getting used to but I like it. Thanks again

kellex

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I put together a tutorial for people on how to install the new Swype keyboard. Check it.

[video=youtube;eqqmVJ-MAyM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqqmVJ-MAyM[/video]