Swype Android Beta!!

biggestmexi

Reaction score
My beta that i got is still going strong!

not sure which version though, ill have to look

Kobra

Reaction score
I love Swype. However the only thing that it is missing for me is the voice to text input button like I have on the 2.1 keyboard and HTC Keyboards. I like to use that at times. If it had that it would be complete IMO.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
The beta is currently closed. Can anyone upload the .apk?

Doesn't work that way. I don't believe you can get the 5652 version of the beta by simply trying to install its apk. It will require you to register it which you cannot do.

However, there is an available version of the 5612 build that you can find with a search on several of the many Swype threads. That one you can download and install. The 5612 version is, as far as I know, indistinguishable from the current beta version except that it doesn't have an annoying bug that requires you to re-enable it whenever you power cycle your phone.

funken

Reaction score
I love Swype. However the only thing that it is missing for me is the voice to text input button like I have on the 2.1 keyboard and HTC Keyboards. I like to use that at times. If it had that it would be complete IMO.

You can voice to text by pressing the settings button while on the virtual keyboard... brings up a "speak" option.

JohnDoeJohnDoes

Reaction score
I wasn't able to get the beta b/c they're not doing it anymore. Is there a download for the beta version?

orangepeel

Reaction score
Well a couple of days ago I tried to use swype and it wouldn't work,so I just uninstalled it and figured I just needed to upgrade it to a newer version via the Swype website.I wished I would have read the last couple of pages of this thread before I did that becasue the Beta was closed.

To make a short story long, I went and tried a couple of other Swype "type" keyboards and hated them. Swype is by far the best at what it is and I didn't know how much I liked it until I didn't have it anymore.

tjoebgen

Reaction score
The official Beta closed a number of weeks ago. The link shown a couple of threads ago is for an installable file that includes a fix or two - it will install on your phone and should work fine. Go to that site, follow the link a little lower in the page to get to the file.

It will likely time out when the Beta period ends (May/June ish). Then we'll all be screaming for our Swype again.

orangepeel

Reaction score
The official Beta closed a number of weeks ago. The link shown a couple of threads ago is for an installable file that includes a fix or two - it will install on your phone and should work fine. Go to that site, follow the link a little lower in the page to get to the file.

It will likely time out when the Beta period ends (May/June ish). Then we'll all be screaming for our Swype again.

Thanks for the heads up. I went back and logged into the Swype website and was able to get them to send me a link to re-download it. It's working great!

I guess I'm going to have to start paying more attention to whats going on with Swype. It worked so well I sometimes forget it's still in beta.

tjoebgen, again, thank you for reminding me I could re-download it. :)

JohnDoeJohnDoes

Reaction score
It's often very useful to read the post immediately ahead of yours.
Sorry I was on my phone and didn't read anything.
I DL it but how do I put it on my phone and make it work?
When I went to DL it on my phone it said it couldn't DL that type of file.

mkibble

Reaction score
soo. i have an old file installed and for some reason every time i change to and from landscape mode a message pops up saying that the package i installed does not match the screen size of the device. also it doesn't seem to work in landscape mode. any ideas? thanks.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
It's often very useful to read the post immediately ahead of yours.
Sorry I was on my phone and didn't read anything.
I DL it but how do I put it on my phone and make it work?
When I went to DL it on my phone it said it couldn't DL that type of file.

If the file you downloaded has a .zip suffix, change it to a .apk suffix. Use a file manager like Astro to do this.

If you downloaded the file to your computer and need to move it to your phone, follow the procedure for mounting your SD card with your Droid connected to the computer via the usb cable. Once mounted, move the file to your Download folder on your SD card, changing the suffix on the file to .apk if necessary.