Swiftkey or Swype?

Another_Dude

Reaction score
I have both on my Droid, and Swype is my preference.

Give me a speech-to-text button in swype and I'll never switch.

Reaction score
I have both as well, but use swype 99.9% of the time. But if your looking at just using one of them then id recommend testing out both =)

droijo

Reaction score
Why are you guys comparing this? I assume swiftkey was another swype/shapewriter type keyboard where you glide so I went and installed it. It wasn't. Unless I'm missing it in the settings?

AZDroid09

Reaction score
I tried Swiftkey, hated it, I typed "if" it replaced it with "of" I type "review" it automatically pluralized it to "reviews".....Swype is not perfect, but I found myself correcting way more errors with Swiftkey. Maybe it's just because I am used to Swype....I will play around with Swiftkey some more and see.....

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Some of you have not given Swiftkey a chance. It predicts the next word I am going to use so frequently that I can't even go as fast on a physical keyboard and swype comes nothing near it.

It's so good I'd consider doing without a physical keyboard.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Some of you have not given Swiftkey a chance. It predicts the next word I am going to use so frequently that I can't even go as fast on a physical keyboard and swype comes nothing near it.

Sounds like what you say is just very predictable. :) Seriously, though, having used a wide variety of keyboards, I'm convinced that individuals can adjust to (and loudly defend) practically any input method. In fact, if human beings can adjust to a QWERTY keyboard, they can adjust to anything! (After all, it was developed to prevent keys on manual typewriters from sticking, not on the basis of what makes sense ergonomically.)

I use Swype almost exclusively and the HTC-IME keyboard when I switch to a "tap" input method, but I've been able to adjust to several other input methods in the eight months I've had the Droid. Frankly, I think Swype is so popular because individuals improve their speed so quickly compared to other methods. That short learning curve is a major attraction. It doesn't mean, however, that some practice with another method will not yield the same speed and accuracy.

richjacksonkc

Reaction score

Right... Swiftkey doesn't really start to show it's power until after you've used it a bit. It's definitely a tough choice between the two, but for everyday use, after using swiftkey for a few weeks, I type faster with it than I do with swype because it almost always predicts the next word I'm going to say.. I have typed entire sentences in swiftkey without even touching the keyboard, just using the suggested words..
..that being said, I love swype too.. like I said before if swype had the "next word" prediction that swiftkey does it would be the ultimate keyboard...

mendy817

Reaction score
i use swype 100% of the time, love it...

for those that switch to "tap" style keyboards, why?? in swype settings you can set it to not do its "predictive text" at all when you simply tap. way easier than changing keyboards every time

les017

Reaction score
I have used Swype since day one and love it. Just download Swiftkey and WOW! It's pretty amazing. Need to get used to looking at predicted words and using space bar agiain.... but this is really pretty dang cool. Also I used Swype in portrait mode and now I find Swiftkey seems better for me in landscape.

Look at the notification bar and enable "Learn from SMS " Things pick up quickly from there. I find myself blindly typing when the word is already there. LOL

bamfsig45

Reaction score
Im diggin the Swift keyboard over the HTC keyboard....never was a fan of swype.

les017

Reaction score
Also I used Swype in portrait mode and now I find Swiftkey seems better for me in landscape.

Totally agree about landscape/portrait. Is there any way to set one keyboard to default for each?

Not that I know of. Beautiful, this predicts for the hardware keyboard as well. Also, I find that typing in portrait with one finger is actually pretty quick as well. Just need to always glance up at the prediction and I can rock with one finger.

I think this is my new default, and I really never thought anything would get me away from Swype.

brochaos

Reaction score
two totally different keyboards.

if you have not used swiftkey, TRY it. and try it for at least a day, and let it scan your txt messages. unless you are the most random person in the world, the SENTENCE (not WORD) prediction will blow your mind.