Stuck at Safestrap; Can't boot into phone

vbhokiefan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, I had to check myself on the text. It is changed.

Were you able to try the restore of your backup?

OP
S

shanshor

Reaction score
All I have done is battery pulled, and made a backup in unsafe mode.

I'm afraid I don't know what Fastboot is. Isn't that 'SBF'?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

vbhokiefan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Fastboot can be reached by powering on while holding the m key down on the physical keyboard

vbhokiefan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I would go to the safe boot menu and toggle the safe system on, to see if that gets you out of the loop. If not, try the restore and let us know what happens.

OP
S

shanshor

Reaction score
After I toggle safe mode:

A. Can I untoggle it later

B. Do I ned to back it up in safe mode and use that to restore it, assuming the boot up doesn't work?

OP
S

shanshor

Reaction score
EDIT: Sorry, OK. I've done a normal boot in Fastboot, to no avail. Now I tried toggling safe mode. It backed the phone up. It couldn't back up date because the data.img (or something like that) wasn't found. It said then SAFE SYSTEM: DISABLED. Confused, i rebooted, and it still kicked me into safestrap (or cwr). So I am trying to toggle safe system again, if that doesn't work, then i'll try restoring.

If restoring doesn't work, I'll attempt to do SBF.

Does this sound like a good plan?

Last edited:

vbhokiefan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I sent Hashcode a tweet. He said he'd stop by later. He might be able to pinpoint what is going on.

OP
S

shanshor

Reaction score
Thanks man, I was just about to wipe phone too. I'll wait until he replies.

As a side note: Id like to thank everyone again for being so patient with me in this tribulation

Hashcode

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.hash-of-codes.blogspot.com
Hello,I'm sorry that you're having such a bad experience with Safestrap. I've never heard of this happening before, but I should probably add a way to undo the hijack from the recovery.There are only 2 triggers which cause the phone to enter recovery:1. Bp tools boot2. The phone thinks that the menu key is being pressed during the startup. (I know you're not actually pressing it)You could try a Power + M boot and select "ap tools" and see if for some reason your phone was stuck in bp tools mode.Or if you have adb access, from recovery you can:1. Mount /systemorig from the mounts menu2. Adb shell3. Mv /systemorig/bin/logwrapper /systemorig/bin/logwrapper.bak4. Mv /systemorig/bin/logwrapper.bin /systemorig/bin/logwrapper(My phone is capitalizing those commands, use lower case)Note: if you typo those commands there's a very good chance you'll be soft bricked and need to fastboot restore the main /systemGood luck!(And thanks to the droidforums guys for hitting me up on twitter. :)

OP
S

shanshor

Reaction score
wow i didn't understand a word of that. haha. but thanks for replying. at least I know now that there isn't much I can do besides a wipe and that you're aware of the issue. I'm just going to wipe and start anew with the SBF link provided on the first page of this thread. I'll let you guys know how it goes

OP
S

shanshor

Reaction score
The craziness is over! Lol. I SBF'd back to normal and everything works. Of course, this won't deter me from trying to flash a rom with safestrap again XD haha. Thanks again for all of the help guys. You certainly shed light on this process to a newbie. Droidforums will be my #1 spot from now on, trumping even Android Central's forums :)

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Glad you got back on board!

Happy to hear you'll stick around. Hopefully next time will go smoother!

Sent from my Safestrapped, Rooted, ROM'd XT862

vbhokiefan

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Same here, glad to hear that your back and business and can retire the Palm Pre again :D

Sorry we couldn't get you back without a SBF, but hey, that's what they're there for!

*And thanks to Hashcode for taking the time to weigh in on the issue*