Stream The SuperBowl Without Cable Subscription!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
superbowl-xlix_home_page.jpg

NBC has decided to run a promo on SuperBowl Sunday which will allow you to stream the SuperBowl on your PC or Mac through NBCSports.com or on your Ipad or Ipod touch through the NBC Sports Live Extra App. Traditionally you would need a cable subscription to access the live feed, but for 11 hours on Feb 1st you will not need a cable login. NBC is hoping to gain consumer awareness for their TV everywhere programming. You will be able to access the full Super Bowl XLIX, Full Super Bowl Halftime Show, Pre and Post game coverage, as well as an episode of The Blacklist.

With the SuperBowl basically being the Christmas of advertising campaigns I am wondering if NBC is testing the waters here. So many younger folks are going cable free these days and are using services like HULU, and Netflix. NBC is losing out on these eyes for their ads. Maybe if they are able to get enough eyes on the streaming ads we can see more of this in the future. You can download the NBC Sports Live Extra app in the Play Store for your Android device. It looks like NBC will be able to stream live to PCs and Tablets, but not phones since Verizon has the contract on NFL mobile.

via macrumors

sst45jeff

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Verizon does not allow casting the screen to the TV on the NFL app either.
$5.00 a month subscription to stream games on the NFL app and you can only watch it on the phone.
If you have paid to watch the game you should be able to cast it to your TV.
Blood suckers.

OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
yea that is pretty insane

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
BOOOO Verizon. Then again I am sure they paid a pretty good penny to acquire the rights so I understand why they would be mad if NBC was allowing people to watch it for free on their phones. With that said since you have customers on other carriers who can not watch nfl games via vzw app, they should be allowed to stream nfl games on their smart devices.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
MLH cable still works great in this situation.
As for the "big game", it's on NBC, so pretty much everyone has access to it. Not sure why you would want to watch the Superbowl on your PC, tablet or phone unless you're working or traveling.
We cut the cord a long time ago and all of our local channels come in great. (HD included)
That said, there are a few websites that allow you to stream NFL games live. I can't post them due to our forum guidelines, but if you search you can find them.

S5 tap'n

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
NBC has been pretty sweet lately. I can finally watch all me EPL games thanks to a deal they struck and I like NBC Sports Live app cause I'm able to watch games at work!! I'm not a big fan of football but it's pretty sweet of them to stream that for free.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'll just put my 60" TV on channel 6. Thanks. Haha!

Interesting to see that they're doing this though. Easy to charge more for commercial spots if you can forecast that you'll have close to the same number of viewers on traditional TV and a forecasted number of additional viewers online.

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
At least this is a step in the right direction. As of right now, I feel like too many streaming options are locked out of Chromecast. I just ordered a Mohu Leaf that I'm going to be testing out soon. I also heard rumors (I haven't been able to test this, yet) that some channels can still be obtained through your ISP coaxial cable without a TV subscription.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
I also heard rumors (I haven't been able to test this, yet) that some channels can still be obtained through your ISP coaxial cable without a TV subscription.

This worked for me as of Monday. On Tuesday they turned it off (Time Warner Cable). Talk about "great" timing. Basically, I was able to get HD channels through my cable line for free, I just paid for Internet. They turned off that "loop hole", and now I'm looking to ditch cable for reelz!

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
This worked for me as of Monday. On Tuesday they turned it off (Time Warner Cable). Talk about "great" timing. Basically, I was able to get HD channels through my cable line for free, I just paid for Internet. They turned off that "loop hole", and now I'm looking to ditch cable for reelz!
Ah. That's great to know, actually. I was about to test out my own subscription with TWC. I'll still give it a shot to see if it works or if it comes back on after the Super Bowl.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
IDK about other providers, but we just had an issue at work with Charter. Someone had set something up wrong or something when the switch to digital happened. We went with a bulk TV setup with DirecTV for our nursing home and assisted living areas, but left cable in the independent apartments that we have and those are on 2 separate accounts. One entire account lost service on every cable box that we had in the apartments because each box "Was assigned to the account, but not assigned to a specific apartment" and their system does a "Clean sweep periodically and deactivates the signal for any account that appears to not be assigned", so I'd imagine other cable companies have a same kind of automated system that checks to make sure signal isn't being drawn/sent where it's not supposed to be.

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
Only if I wanted to watch the superbowl this year. ***shrugs

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
It's the last game of the year.....I watch it regardless of who's playing.
What do we have to look forward to....NBA for the next 6 months....meh
Although, LeBron is back in Clevland and realizing his mistake, so I like that! LOL

S5 tap'n

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
Not to necropost, but I believe there might be a workaround for cord cutters such as myself. I'll test this later, tonight, but it involves Kodi (formerly XBMC), a Chromecast, Yatse with the streaming plugin, and the NBC Live addon for Kodi.

Yatse Remote for Kodi
Yatse the XBMC Kodi Remote - Android Apps on Google Play

Yatse Streaming Plugin
Yatse Stream Plugin - Android Apps on Google Play

Kodi Media Center
Kodi Open Source Home Theatre Software

NBC Sports Live Extra Add-on
RELEASE NBC Sports Live Extra Add-on

Chromecast
Chromecast

While most people have their HTPC attached to their main TV, mine is actually located in my bedroom. I have a SteamOS/Kodi machine in my bedroom, and I use Plex on the Chromecast in the living room. Obviously, I would like the Super Bowl cast to the living room. Kodi has a plugin for NBC Sports that I have installed. I believe I can use the Yatse streaming option to cast the Kodi NBC Live plugin to the Chromecast.

JUg57qhbzMBpOF_628HPwUCX1HPLyNfPgwMUEzc7y98_-oJw2gk9MoiDvlgPIXE-ED8=h900-rw

Probably the worst case scenario is I just move my Kodi machine for the Super Bowl. But I thought this might get a few cogs turning in people's heads. The worst part is that Yatse is a paid app, but it's been absolutely amazing for anything I've wanted to do with it so far. I would encourage people to try out the NBC addon with Kodi :)

Edit: I got it working flawlessly!

Last edited: