Is it time for Youtube to take over?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
157547099-645x250.jpg

Many of us cord cutters have a few goto apps, Youtube, Hulu, Netflix, and maybe Sling. But many of us are minimalists and if we could cut it down to a few less services it may be intriguing. Youtube provides us the independent channels (ie Collider Movie Talk, AthleanX, Marques Brownlee, etc), Hulu allows us to catch up on show we miss (ie Flash, Family Guy, etc), and Sling provides us live sports coverage (mainly ESPN). Outside of a few shows here and there I rarely watch Netflix anymore unless I am wanting to watch an old show or movie.

With Google continuing to expand their Youtube content to include an ad free subscription service, discussed here (Google Announces YouTube Red Subscription Based Premium-Style Streaming Membership | Android Forum at DroidForums.net), would it not be fitting to make it an all-access service?

The pieces are already in place, if you rent or buy a movie through the Play Store you can watch the content via Youtube. And the Play Store is full of content from music, latest movies, and tv shows. To be able to pay a reasonable subscription price and have movies, music, and tv shows that I would watch on Hulu, and my favorite Youtube subscription services all in one package could cut down on having 4 to 5 different apps to supplement cable tv. Apple has already done this with their iTunes service which they made deals with tv networks to stream local networks via Apple TV. To have one place to watch all my content is worth a $15-$25 a month subscription, especially since I know off the bat it will have Chromecast support.

Thoughts?

One service to rule them all or do you want to keep the services separate and continue in the spirit of competition.

Last edited:

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice timing @pc747. This story makes for a great follow-up to my earlier post (just moments before yours).

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Due to the nature of the agreements these services make with production companies and etc, I don't think you'll ever see exactly what you're talking about.

Though it'd sure be nice, there's a reason why you pay for each individual movie/etc that you get from Play around the same time that DVDs are released and Cable Companies start charging to rent them OnDemand. Paying even $30 a month to watch anything "new" that you want might more than cover you with a service like hulu, but the movie companies want their part of the $5 or so that you pay to rent. Even Redbox, with it's $1+ rental fee doesn't have the NEWEST movies.

Which, if you can wait, not that big of a deal, but I don't think you'll ever see movies that are available to rent digitally right in-line with rentable as Blu-ray/DVDs be available for a monthly fee that we would consider reasonable, based on what we spend on Netflix and services like it.

$5 per movie only equals 4 movies a month at $20/month. If this is your only source of streaming, I would bet you're going to watch more than 4 movies a month, or enough "premium" TV shows (Cable channel shows) to equal that.

Would be awesome, but I don't see it happening any time soon.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
HELL YA!!! Existing Google Music paid customers will get Youtube Red included. SWEET!!!!!!
WHAT!? Where'd you read that!? The Youtube Music Key was nice enough, even though I don't watch a lot of music videos.

Seems like they're adding a bit too much value to All Access for them to make any money. Now everyone with AA won't have to watch ads? Great for me if true, but probably gonna hurt some bottom lines somewhere. Potentially makes the upcoming family plan worth even more as well. $15 gets music for 5 unique users, PLUS no more ads in Youtube? What's the catch?

EDIT: Guess I should've read @dgstorm's News post about Youtube Red...Google Announces YouTube Red Subscription Based Premium-Style Streaming Membership | Android Forum at DroidForums.net

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
WHAT!? Where'd you read that!? The Youtube Music Key was nice enough, even though I don't watch a lot of music videos.

Seems like they're adding a bit too much value to All Access for them to make any money. Now everyone with AA won't have to watch ads? Great for me if true, but probably gonna hurt some bottom lines somewhere. Potentially makes the upcoming family plan worth even more as well. $15 gets music for 5 unique users, PLUS no more ads in Youtube? What's the catch?

EDIT: Guess I should've read @dgstorm's News post about Youtube Red...Google Announces YouTube Red Subscription Based Premium-Style Streaming Membership | Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Good point JK, the only thing Google could do is allow for early access rental (a day or 2 earlier than others) if negotiated with studios. Google's services would not be able to include newly released movies but even if it didn't, ok I still can rent them and have access in one app. The only issue may be the tv shows and local channels and I think they could swing that. Question is how much will it cost us monthly for that?

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's interesting to see how all of these industries are changing/evolving because of shifts facilitated by improved technology. The TV industry is going through a big shakeup, and soon the automotive industry will likely experience the same thing. It's both exciting and scary. For a while, we may see a ton of workers displaced because of these industry shifts, but new jobs will be created as well. Hopefully it will offset and eventually balance itself.

cynkrzy

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Google will rule the world before they're done....

Vepaot

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G5 (LS992)
"YouTube and chill" doesn't have the same ring to it.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
If I were to pay a monthly fee for content, then I want the latest content. I rather go see a movie when it comes out. These streaming services tend to keep you at home.. Not a healthy scenario.