Step By Step and by Step

xXGhosTBirDXx

Reaction score
...Yooo so there is all these things like flashing, brick, hack, rom, root, etc
If im starting from the very beginning what exactly is the order of which to do these things. Specifically if im going with Cricket Service thnx.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
1. Root
2. ROM
3. Hack

You don't want "brick." Do your research before attempting or we'll see you back here trying to recover your phone.

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Actually... proper order, to be more safe...

1. Install Moto USB drivers
2. Install proper RSDLite that is compatible (good to have in case you brick your phone!)
3. Look for a SBF file that is the same as your Android version and build version (good to have in case you brick your phone! Goes with Step 2!) (http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-hacks/91760-droid-2-hacking-rom-install-class.html instructions also included to unbricking your phone)
4. Become familiar with the top 3
5. http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-hacks/80080-much-simpler-guide-rooting-no-pc-required.html OR http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-hacks/91760-droid-2-hacking-rom-install-class.html for rooting and instructions... (first link provided in Step 5 also includes what to type to unroot your phone)
6. Terminal Emulator so you can do it through your phone easier
7. Pick a ROM suitable for your phone. I picked Liberty v1.0 for D2
8. Become familiarized with that ROM, what it's capable of, what it has, what you can do and all that goody stuff
9. Themeing and hacking.
10. Once you've become familiar with everything with ease, then your whole phone modification and what you want done on it exactly is finally ALL up to you as you see fit.

Last edited:
OP
X

xXGhosTBirDXx

Reaction score
Is there some way to troubleshoot why I am not receiving calls...some previous thread that I read some dude was having the same issue and ended up figuring that it was an incorrect cdma sys id...cricket refreshed the signal and he was on his way receing calls after being provided with a password and dialing *228...well I tried and they too refreshed my signal..provided no password but was able to program the phone by dialing* 228...after that still could not receive calls??...also how do u save pix sent thru messaging onto either the sd card or phone storage??

Last edited:
OP
X

xXGhosTBirDXx

Reaction score
Kewl kewl I really appreciate the feedback..yo swagger ur hooked up to wat service company?? The thing is some dude flashed my phone with the cricket service i had everything worked fine like calls txt pix web even international txt for about a month then everything just went to shams..txts web pix and only outgoing calls are still good...currently I have z4root, droid 2 bootstrapper, clockword recovery astro file management , rom manager, superuser, and a transformers decepticon boot...I want to do this myself im tired of these peeps not knowing what to do. Ill look up what each of the items I mentioned Is..but upon removing them should I start at the bottom of the list and go up? Im just concerned I don't want to brick it

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Kewl kewl I really appreciate the feedback..yo swagger ur hooked up to wat service company?? The thing is some dude flashed my phone with the cricket service i had everything worked fine like calls txt pix web even international txt for about a month then everything just went to shams..txts web pix and only outgoing calls are still good...currently I have z4root, droid 2 bootstrapper, clockword recovery astro file management , rom manager, superuser, and a transformers decepticon boot...I want to do this myself im tired of these peeps not knowing what to do. Ill look up what each of the items I mentioned I..but upon removing them should I start at the bottom of the list and go up?

I'm a Verizon customer with a Motorola Droid 2 A955.

I don't like z4root. It's not promising enough. I find it better to manually root the phone yourself. Why? Well z4root isn't always compatible for your phone. It does the work for you, yes, but not the best thing for all phones.

If you're having problems with your phone then I would suggest SBFing it. Just make sure you find the right SBF for your system. Like for me, I used VRZ.A955.2.3.20.

2.3.20.A955 is my phone Build number.

Yours might be different but I would match the SBF number to your build number.

Lastly, work the steps downward. Not from bottom up. Another thing, if you unroot before everything else, you'll throw your phone in a bootloop and that is a pain in the butt. So I would just SBF from the RSDLite and start your phone fresh again and then root it manually.

This is what I use...

RSDLite 4.9 (most current version)
SBF file
Android Terminal Emulator
Root commands from one of the 2 links I provided (both very good, one of them says busybox is optional. I would use busybox if I were you. It's helpful)
Liberty v1.0
Gingerbread Theme
Droid 2 Bootstrapper
No overclock yet

Last edited:
OP
X

xXGhosTBirDXx

Reaction score
Right Right kewl....same from top to bottom got it. u confirm my suspicion about the z4root also. ill watch out for the bootloop. could u elaborate on the sbf and rsdlite?? ur sayin to install first the SBF through rsdlite...then unroot to deter the bootloop how accurate is my statement??

also i found this vid: [video=youtube;6nepzwZJ1WA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=6nepzwZJ1WA"]youtube.com/watch?v=6nepzwZJ1WA[/video]
and this one: [video=youtube;9udWx-KXwGY]http://youtube.com/watch?v=9udWx-KXwGY"]youtube.com/watch?v=9udWx-KXwGY[/video]

where do u download??...RSDLite 4.9 (most current version) & SBF file

mine is the same...VRZ.A955.2.3.20...thats what my system version reads
but wait wait did you mean to say match the sbf file with the system
version...the build number for me reads VZW, what does your system version read?? check ur build number

Last edited:

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Download RSDLite here:

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Make sure it's up to date

Download the FULL SBF file here:

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

VRZ is the same thing as VZW. VRZ is Verizon, VZW is Verizon Wireless (which is the kind of cell phones they are). Same thing. Just a different abbreviation name for a file that is the exact same as the other.

Instructions to doing an SBF (thanks to pc747) is here:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-hacks/91760-droid-2-hacking-rom-install-class.html

Look at post #3. That is the instruction to doing an SBF through RSDLite.

OP
X

xXGhosTBirDXx

Reaction score
awesome and is my statement accurate then sbf through rsdlite then unroot??...and to save pix on sd card sent via messaging..there are no options in the menu when u touch press it??

Last edited:

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
The SBF will take care of unrooting your phone. It basically erases all evidence of rooting and anything not backed up. Also fixes the logwrapper.bin evidence. So once you do the SBF, everything is back to stock. No rooting, custom ROM or anything. That's why I'm suggesting that because of your calls/text and other issues. You can start the rooting process over again right after you've done SBF.

Also, if there is any hint of z4root on your phone, even logs, the uninstalled app, etc. Get rid of it AFTER you do SBF. Just so it doesn't cause confusion or conflict.

OP
X

xXGhosTBirDXx

Reaction score
alright getting ready to do this...just a question before i start..hows reseting the phone to factory settings any different to the previous that u explained??

TheSwaggeR

Reaction score
Because hard reset doesn't get everything back to stock when you're rooted, if I'm correct. And it may throw your phone in bootloops or who knows what might happen.

seppypom

Reaction score
...Yooo so there is all these things like flashing, brick, hack, rom, root, etc
If im starting from the very beginning what exactly is the order of which to do these things. Specifically if im going with Cricket Service thnx.

just make sure you skip the "brick" step

OP
X

xXGhosTBirDXx

Reaction score
i was transferring a vid converted by real player for motorola droid...i hit cancel during the process and stupid me disconnected the usb cord cuz it was taking too long...so now when i look up the phone mp3s on the desktop it loads forever...im guessing the chip is corrupted now...i saved all my vids and pix to desktop...however with the root and all that other good stuff..would it be a bad idea to reformat the memory chip to get rid of this mess?? my apps have been moved to my phone memory...just for info under the phone files are the following:

bootanims..i got the transformers decepticons (back up and zip file)
recovery update related to the above
Android System Folder
download folder with a z4root-1.1.3.0.apk files
also the clockworld or clockword Folder
LOST.DIR folder...i think related to ASTRO file viewer
droid2bootstrap.apk
FissionRomManager.apk
.udstate
D-GummyJAR-1.9.zip
update.zip