Help with installing roms

agentmayhem

Reaction score
hi, im new to this droid x hack/rooting thing, how do i add custom roms? or like roms in general, what app do i need to install roms i download from other people like 928droid, etc... also wat is a SDB or SBF, w/e it is, like can someone tell me or give me a explanation/rundown of exactly what a rooted means and what i can do with it and all? including adding custom themes, etc... i need all the help i can get! thnx! dancedroid

*also i have rom manager but my phone doesnt reboot into clockwork recovery for sum reason

Last edited:

scubieman

Reaction score
using rom manager you have to bootstrap recover then reboot into recovery(should be the option right above it).

Also all ROMS and THEMES are close to installing but the forum where you got them should tell you.

EXAMPLES:

black glass theme install reboot into recovery. Clear cache then Install zip from sd card . then choose file then reboot when it's done

to install rubix ROMS

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
Open DroidXBootstrapper
Bootstrap Recovery
Reboot Recovery
Nandroid Backup (Just in case you don't want to keep my rom or something goes wrong)
Wipe Data/Cache
Mount System (in the script of installing you do not have to do this for rubix. but other roms you do have to. I do it anyways cause you will brick if step is missed)
Install Zip From SDCard
Select rubiXBlurry0.3.zip
Select Yes
Reboot System
Enjoy

AGAIN read the forum for what one you want. installing theme is different then ROM.

SBF is the file to go 100% back. I would refer to it as the STOCK with no root OS for system. It has a different way to load to droid vs loading a ROM. You only flash SBF if you brick your phone. Before messing with ROMS i would highly recommed learning how to flash SBF in case you do happen to brick then you can get out of it quickly

Remember also do backups.. Too many is better then none.

MrFishstick

Reaction score
i have a question. i have rubix 1.6, apex 1.0, and chevys ssx rom all backed up on my phone(rom manager). is switching back and forth between the different roms as simple as restoring from backups in rom manager, or do i need to wipe and start over every time?

MrFishstick

Reaction score
nevermind, I'll just do it all from bootstrap with backups and wipes.

scubieman

Reaction score
also wipe before restoring to a backup. Also always wipe before installing new ROM

jasonx9

Reaction score
Where do I get these apps from the market or what? I want to start doing this but want to do it correctly,

jasonx9

Reaction score
Whats that I am new to this hole thing and am just htinking about rooting the z4 thing isnt working for at all

jasonx9

Reaction score
No I have not but I am about to why anything I should know before I do?