Starting to have 2nd thoughts on the Droid

hyp7

Reaction score
Im thinking on getting a droid next thursday and now after reading all the problems with it im having second thoughts. Its almost like it cant do simple things my Htc Diamond does. Is it really that bad? Seems like alot of unhappy people. And a bunch of returns.
So should a person wait for a while?
Ps. I want a droid really bad!!!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It depends on what things you can't do? I mean what things do you want to do that you are reading you can't do?

Zippster

Reaction score
I dont really see alot of unhappy people or a "bunch" of returns. But you need to remember, something that does ALOT of things, cant always do them all perfectly. Nor will every user have the same needs or expectations.

OP
H

hyp7

Reaction score
Alot of simple things forwarding messages, bluetooth issues, streaming video, saving contacts, I know most will be figured out or fixed sometime but then there is the other problems. Shutting down, bad screens, just dies, locking up, missed calles, stuff like that.
Just seems everyone or almost everyone is having some sort of problem with the coolest phone I have ever seen.

kenbarnum

Reaction score
I am an iPhone fan and a Verizon fan. I was originally settling when I got the Droid...I say this only because I like the iPhone so much.
I have had the Droid for a week now and I am in love with it. It rocks and I think it is better than the iPhone...
the only thing I can think of that the iPhone has over the Droid is iTunes. The Droids media portion was not well thought out...But its usable and capable...it's just not pretty.

lauriep

Reaction score
It seems like the heavy duty business users are having the most problems. I am just a regular user who wants to do more and have the availability to do more. My phone has worked flawlessly since Monday, has no problems physically (screen/battery cover) and my email and messages come through promptly. It has done everything I have tried, and everyday when I learn something new here, or learn about a new app to try, I do it and it works!

Don't forget, if the number of Droids sold is really 400,000, or even 100,000, you are hearing about very few problems in comparison. And many of these (except the actual defective phones) are probably due to unfamiliarity and will improve quickly. Many of the BB users are so ingrained with that technology and all it does and doesn't offer, that transitioning to a different phone can be tough.

I have not had a millisecond of doubt or regret!

OP
H

hyp7

Reaction score
Thanks for the responces. I got to thinking that most of the problems could be user errors. Or It could be the learning curve from people coming from a standard phone. I did mess around with the droid at the store for about 20 min and didnt have any issues so I will prolly get one they are just too cool. Just kinda freaked me out when there are a lot of people taking their droid back for a new one.
Thanks again Hyp7

sir

Reaction score
Glad you spent the time to go check it out in the store. It's really the best move anyone can make outside of getting the opinions of current owners. It's really all about how it feels in your hand and how well you can adapt to the way it functions.

And of course, if you have any questions, need help, or whatever it is, we're all here to help make the journey as easy as it can be!

miglo

Reaction score
I'm a pretty heavy Droid user, and it has been pretty rock-solid. Had it since release. Came over from the iPhone 3g camp. I ate the ETF to get the droid, with zero regrets.

Trip

Reaction score
I'm one of the people that took their's back a number of times, and I can tell you that I absolutly love my droid, wouldnt trade it for anything, Verizon never gave me a problem taking my phone back, if it wasnt working right they replaced it.

Keep in mind that this is a brand new version of the operating sytem with state of the art hardware, there where bound to be some technical problems at first. Most of the apps out there haven't been updated to Android 2.0 yet, and certainly weren't written for the size/resolution screen that this thing has. With that being said, I still am amazed at the quality and versatility of the apps that are out there, I personally have not found anything I want to do with this phone that I haven't been able to accomplish easily.

Also keep in mind that you have 30 days to try it out...if you really don't like it (lol...yeah right), you can take it back.

:motdroidvert: rules :)

** Edited for spelling

Last edited:

wil318466

Reaction score
Depends. There are a few things that annoy me, and in all honesty there are "layers" of apps that do several differnt things which you have to mentally track. For example, I couldnt' figure why when I got certain texts that some would vibrate and beep, some would just beep. Reason is because I have settings to chang in gmail, google voice, AND SMS manager which I downloaded. Something like that could drive someone crazy if they didn't remember they downloaded another app that has controls, and people like me who LIKE messing around with several different settings so I can customize the phone.

There ARE certain things that do annoy my, but the good so vastly outweighs the bad its amazing. I was never willing to leave the Verizon network, so there was never really a choice for me. I'm not a big fan of waiting just to wait, and in all honesty there aren't enough cons for me to justify saying to ANYONE to "wait" for something better.

This phone is amazing. Free navigation (works great), *unbelievable* screen (this can't be stressed enough), streaming music, superb speakerphone, google voice (free texting and phone calls with a bit of work, if you care about that), easy integration with gmail, good web browser (even though no multitouch yet)... the list goes on and on.

Its not perfect, but I love it.

-Wil

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
hyp7 jump onboard with the Droid. You will not be disappointed at all. Before you do though you have to remember that Android is a whole other animal and you will have to learn it.

You can't treat it or be expecting it to be anything like a BB or whatever device you are coming from. It's entirely different. Yes it does the same thing but how you go about doing it is different.

Drives me crazy when people say "On my BB all I have to do is....."

It's not a BB or an iPhone or a Palm product. So forget how thoose devices do things and learn how to use the Droid. Once you understand it it's VERY easy.

You are essentially going to learn to operate an entirely different machine. Seems like that's the obvious but you'd be surprised. Things WILL be different thats the way it is. Different for me is a good thing. I like change and the change has been stellar.

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
I am an extremely heavy user. I use My DROID for everything ! I find this to be one of the best devices I have ever had in years! My old Storm 1 can't shine this thing's shoes, (if it had any).

I have had this since day one. I understand this is a Ver 1.0 device. There are going to be problems with anything so new. Mine has been trouble free so far. I have been on the road with it the last week. It has worked flawless. Some of the software, well, that is a different story. But the hardware is impeccable.

My only issue so far are the limitations of Google Nav. No way to easily save destinations. Traffic data not always up to date. I got a ticket in NYC for turning as it said to, but the street had time restrictions for turning. It also sucked on traffic, I was stuck in traffic by the Holland Tunnel for quite a while, by believing traffic was flowing freely, when it was not when I got there. But again, this is software, not the hardware. Everywhere else I used Google Nav, it worked as it was suppose to.

As a Phone, it's crystal clear. Internet, blazing fast as you would expect on a 3G network. The Still Camera and the Video Camera worked great ! Texting was a breeze on it.

As an MP3 Player, it doesn't seem as loud as the Storm1 was. But it still performed this very well too.

The Alarm Clock function worked perfectly.

You won't find this phone far from my hands when I am away from home, or even around town!!!

I'd recommend the DROID to anyone !!! And I have been doing just this since day one with the DROID!!!

But, don't take my word for it, go take one for a test ride. You can return it up to 30 days. See what you think of it before you find yourself committed to it for the next 2 years.

Last edited:

Anomander

Reaction score
New smart phone user here and I have had my droid for a week a now. I love it. What I have to keep remember is long pause. It seems that feature helps me out most when I am trying new apps or features out. I always played around on friends's iPhone, but I love my droid more. The keyboard does not take long to get use to (at least I do not think so). Love the screen size and so far all apps but one have worked with the 2.0 software. I am glad to say it has been worth the wait for this phone.

romeov

Reaction score
Also, keep in mind out of all the new users who got a Droid, only a TINY percentage of them are on this forum (although it's the go to place to go!) so there are hundreds of thousands out there that are working fine.. it's usually when something fails when users who don't usually check out cell phone forums log on to complain or find a fix.