Adding a 2nd line to my verizon account to get Droid eris?

jrl9851

Reaction score
My gf wants to get the droid eris, but I have no idea how this second line stuff works.

Can I get a phone at the discounted price if I add a 2nd line?

Can we share unlimited text messages for the same price ($20) or do we both have to pay $20?

I just don't understand how all this works. I'm reading on the verizon site right now but I thought I would ask you guys first.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
You need a family plan to add lines. Assuming you have the family plan, then you can add a line for $10/month to get the discounted phone price, and you'll share all other elements of your plan (texts, minutes). Each line with a smartphone needs its own data plan.

OP
J

jrl9851

Reaction score
You need a family plan to add lines. Assuming you have the family plan, then you can add a line for $10/month to get the discounted phone price, and you'll share all other elements of your plan (texts, minutes). Each line with a smartphone needs its own data plan.

I'm currently using the cheapest plan ($30 data, $20 unlimited text, $39.99 minutes). How much more would the family plan be?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
No idea, you'll have to look that up on the VZW site. I'm still on my folks' plan, I just write them a check for $100 each month.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
...or call. I'd suggest just checking the site as it only takes a few seconds.

ricks

Reaction score
You will have to pay for an additional line. Monthly 9.99 for the additional line, 29.99 for data, and if you want a text plan, you will have to pay extra for that too. The only shared thing is minutes.

solorca

Reaction score
So, out of curiousity.

Would it be possible to open a third line (since I have two), get a new phone, activate it, and then trade it with the first line. At that point, couldn't I simply convert the new line to a dumbphone with a $10 charge per month?

HTC Incredible - $199 +$240 in monthly fees = $439

vs.

HTC Incredible - $599 retail.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
So, out of curiousity.

Would it be possible to open a third line (since I have two), get a new phone, activate it, and then trade it with the first line. At that point, couldn't I simply convert the new line to a dumbphone with a $10 charge per month?

HTC Incredible - $199 +$240 in monthly fees = $439

vs.

HTC Incredible - $599 retail.

Yes, Done that myself...

ricks

Reaction score
If you add a smartphone to your account, you must pay smartphone fees (data plan). You can use any phone number you want on your account with any phone you have.

solorca

Reaction score
If you add a smartphone to your account, you must pay smartphone fees (data plan). You can use any phone number you want on your account with any phone you have.

Right, but you could then just change the phone and remove the data fees, correct?

ricks

Reaction score

Right, but you could then just change the phone and remove the data fees, correct?

If you add a smartphone to your account, you will have to keep a data plan on that phone no matter what phone number you use. With Verizon, if you have a smartphone, you must have the data plan with that phone.