So IF the Droid will no longer be marketed...

Moreno

Reaction score
Rooting and flashing roms means *freedom* - freedom to choose how you want your phone to look and feel and how it should respond.Those are the important things to me and those are things I can only get from the original Motorola Droid - not the two new phones, being released.

-Mike

I would definitely agree with you, I just do not want to take a risk of voiding my warranty or insurance. If it didn't void them, I would already rooted my Droid 1.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
When you buy a TV, within 6 months it will have a new model number and new features.

It's the same with every device so why not phones. You don't go upgrade your oven, tv, dishwasher, etc... every time they upgrade them do you?

Relax.

yeah but I also dont carry any of those things and use them ALL DAY and could care a hell of a lot less about ANY miniscule new features they come out with in 6 months. I bought a 720p tv 2 years ago, love it still, dont care to upgrade until I have the money for a 3dHDTV. Phones are completely different I'm sorry but your argument just doesn't work.

Other than asserting that "phones are completely different," I can't see you're making any sort of argument. The fact that you carry your phone and don't carry your TV doesn't cut it. Nor does the fact that you "don't care to upgrade" your TV but apparently do "care to upgrade" your phone.

I'm afraid it's "your argument (that) doesn't work."

tfkennady

Reaction score
Rooting and flashing roms means *freedom* - freedom to choose how you want your phone to look and feel and how it should respond.Those are the important things to me and those are things I can only get from the original Motorola Droid - not the two new phones, being released.

-Mike

+1 right there with ya.

tfkennady

Reaction score
you'll never stay ahead of the curb of technology it just moves too fast. you can't "future proof" either, but if you spend the money upfront, educate yourself a little bit and be willing to take a chance on rooting/modding/etc you can have a device that will keep you happy for awhile.

ChugIt

Reaction score
I'm confident that with the higher demand in place, the X and 2 will be rooted eventually. They (Moto) know we buy their phones to be able to root. They aren't gonna be like Crapple and alienate us, I'm confident about that. I know the Devour isn't rooted, but it don't have anywhere near the demand as the X does and the 2 will.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm confident that with the higher demand in place, the X and 2 will be rooted eventually. They (Moto) know we buy their phones to be able to root. They aren't gonna be like Crapple and alienate us, I'm confident about that. I know the Devour isn't rooted, but it don't have anywhere near the demand as the X does and the 2 will.

The percentage of users who purchase android phones with the intention of rooting them is miniscule. Judging the demand for such functionality by looking at forums like this is like estimating political candidate support by counting letters to the editor.

ChugIt

Reaction score
OK fair enough, but I still believe the X and 2 will be rooted. On that note, I'm sticking with my Droid for a long time.

erikfig

Reaction score
OK fair enough, but I still believe the X and 2 will be rooted. On that note, I'm sticking with my Droid for a long time.

Same here.... I'm taking super good care of my droid so it can last for a long time.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

hpNYR

Reaction score

Same here.... I'm taking super good care of my droid so it can last for a long time.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
That's what i'm going to do as well. I see no glaring reason to rush onto another model.

Are you rooted or no? Not me.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm hanging onto my Droid even when I buy another device.

I don't think we're gonna see another device as 'open' as the Droid is.

Locked bootloaders and what not are what's headed our way.