Stagefright disabled?

rich_r

Reaction score
I have been following a thread over at XDA about enable and disabling stagefright to solve some problems with streaming applications like Pandora and especially SiriusXM. Some uses have reported that permanently disabling stagefright breaks some applications. The preferred solution seems to be to create a script (perhaps using gScript) to toggle stagefright on and off. With stagefright off Quadrant scores take a significant tumble.

I noticed in the changelog for Sapphire that stagefright has been disabled. Can you add a script (scriptybox) or even better a setting in GEM to enable/disable stagefright rather than having it permanently disabled?

thanks,
Rich

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have been following a thread over at XDA about enable and disabling stagefright to solve some problems with streaming applications like Pandora and especially SiriusXM. Some uses have reported that permanently disabling stagefright breaks some applications. The preferred solution seems to be to create a script (perhaps using gScript) to toggle stagefright on and off. With stagefright off Quadrant scores take a significant tumble.

I noticed in the changelog for Sapphire that stagefright has been disabled. Can you add a script (scriptybox) or even better a setting in GEM to enable/disable stagefright rather than having it permanently disabled?

thanks,
Rich

Just set media.stagefright.enable-player=true in build.prop.

OP
R

rich_r

Reaction score

Thanks. I already have a couple of scripts using gScript to toggle the value.

But it would be nice to have the capability built into the ROM. And my concern is that Sapphire 1.0 will use some other way of disabling stagefright so that I can't toggle it the way I do now.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score

But it would be nice to have the capability built into the ROM. And my concern is that Sapphire 1.0 will use some other way of disabling stagefright so that I can't toggle it the way I do now.

You can ask cvpcs in IRC, but my guess is he only set the above to false for 1.0 for the disable. I could be wrong, though.

JoelWRX

Reaction score
I think he has chosen to make stagefright=false since opencore already has FLAC support in 2.2, stagefright just decodes a little quicker... I have yet to see any harm done by disabling the service.

chemist109

Reaction score
The new mobile site for youtube will not play video with stagefright disabled.

TuBitMittens

Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question but can somebody tell me what this stagefright thing is exactly???

phatkat66

Reaction score
id also love to know why if its so important to be enabled is it naturally disabled on droidX while the youtube mobile site works?

StuntinX

Reaction score

I would like to know what you Gscript looks like to toggle Stagefright on and off. Would you be able to post or explain. Oh and what would the advantages be to having it off at time and on at another.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Tsusai

Reaction score
The stagefright component was fixed by Google a while back, and this fix is incorporated into at least Sapphire 1.1.0 and higher. There isn't a real reason to have stagefright disabled anymore.