Sapphire 1.0 Quadrant scores

GodfatherIP

Reaction score
How has your experience with Sapphire been, slightly lower quadrant scores notwithstanding?

So far, great. I enjoy the fact that I don't have to use SetCPU anymore which frees up a little extra RAM.

However, the P3 based roms do run a bit hotter than Chevy's. Also, the ADW Launcher just feels noticeably slower than LauncherPro in terms of menu responsiveness.

Other than that, AdFree gives me Force closes, but it did in LithMod as well. Other apps have worked fine and the rom seems quick and stable.

I may try launcher pro on it and see how that goes.

Edit: Also, I really miss the "allinone" script that Lithium Mod has. With it I can do all sort of commands that normally I wouldn't be able to run with my limited terminal/linux knowledge.

The kernel is based on a combination of p3droid and bekit's work but the rom and kernels are all built form source by cvpcs so I'm not sure what you mean by a P3 based rom. Also what is the allinone script (I haven't used lithiummod)? With Sapphire you can type scriptybox in terminal emulator to get a list of all of Sapphire's scripts, maybe that will help you out. I've been using launcherpro and it runs well on this rom.

EnJoY

Reaction score
How has your experience with Sapphire been, slightly lower quadrant scores notwithstanding?

So far, great. I enjoy the fact that I don't have to use SetCPU anymore which frees up a little extra RAM.

However, the P3 based roms do run a bit hotter than Chevy's. Also, the ADW Launcher just feels noticeably slower than LauncherPro in terms of menu responsiveness.

Other than that, AdFree gives me Force closes, but it did in LithMod as well. Other apps have worked fine and the rom seems quick and stable.

I may try launcher pro on it and see how that goes.

Edit: Also, I really miss the "allinone" script that Lithium Mod has. With it I can do all sort of commands that normally I wouldn't be able to run with my limited terminal/linux knowledge.

I think you meant P3 based KERNELS there and not ROMs. ;) (and only portions are based on P3, I have no heat / speed issues)

In ADW settings make the following changes:
Screen Preferences:
Auto Stretch = unchecked
Desktop Scrolling Speed = 170
Desktop Overshoot = 0

System Preferences:
Read "wallpaper Hack and Use Screen Cache's description and check / uncheck based upon your setup
Disable Scrollable Widget Support unless you *need* it

That should solve any ADW issues you think you have

Haha, yes guys, I meant kernel, not rom. I was typing quickly...whoops.

I wasn't able to find where the ADW settings were, I feel like a retard. Could you direct me?

Thanks

wingdo

Reaction score
Screen Preferences:
Auto Stretch = unchecked
Desktop Overshoot = 0

System Preferences:
Read "wallpaper Hack and Use Screen Cache's descriptions and check / uncheck based upon your setup

I wasn't able to find where the ADW settings were, I feel like a retard. Could you direct me?

Wow, OK. Make sure ADW is the launcher you are running. Click the menu hard key (the one to the left of the home hard key). The bottom right choice should say "ADW Settings".

Click on the menu choice which says Screen Preferences (first menu choice) and make the following changes:
Auto Stretch = unchecked (4th choice down)
Desktop Scrolling Speed = 170 (next to last choice, scroll down to find)
Desktop Overshoot = 0 (last choice)

Click the back hard key and go to System Preferences (fourth menu choice):
Read wallpaper Hack (fourth choice) and also Use Screen Cache's (sixth choice) description and check / uncheck based upon your specific setup
Disable Scrollable Widget Support (seventh choice) unless you *need* it

Hope that is a bit more helpful, if not please let me know where you're getting stuck.

Last edited:

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com

serveitup911

Reaction score
For those that absolutly need "accurate" Quadrant scores - this seems to work:
Pandora and Froyo Not Playing Nice, Issue Processing Audio Files | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

cvpcs already made a small patch update.zip that will switch this for you.
It's on the wiki. Of course, some may prefer the manual way, so thanks for the link.

Was unaware of that! Thanks

No problem! Your link is good too, especially if one wants to switch back. I don't think he has a patch to switch back.

wingdo

Reaction score
I scored just about 1400, which is certainly very good, but about 100 points shy of the 1533 I got after a fresh install of Lithium mod at the same settings.

Here's a question I have for you and I am not trying to be sarcastic nor condescending: How does that extra 100 points on Quadrant actually affect usage of the Droid for its intended purposes (you know, phone calls, some web surfing, music playing etc).

brochaos

Reaction score
just ran my first ever benchmark and scored 1215. i have stagefright player set to true and stagefright http set to false.

KpAtch3s

Reaction score

balthuszar

Reaction score
i ran a quadrant, and got 455 without stagefright and 489 with it...and got over 800 on 0.7.0

EnJoY

Reaction score
I scored just about 1400, which is certainly very good, but about 100 points shy of the 1533 I got after a fresh install of Lithium mod at the same settings.

Here's a question I have for you and I am not trying to be sarcastic nor condescending: How does that extra 100 points on Quadrant actually affect usage of the Droid for its intended purposes (you know, phone calls, some web surfing, music playing etc).

So far, with Launcher Pro now, tweaked for performance, everything is just as snappy as LithMod was and if anything, it seems more stable with this 1100MHz SV kernel.

I scored just about 1400, which is certainly very good, but about 100 points shy of the 1533 I got after a fresh install of Lithium mod at the same settings. I have yet to find a ROM that scores higher than JRums.

Running quadrant only twice won't give you enough information about the actual speeds your phone is getting.

I highly suggest reading http://www.droidforums.net/forum/hacking-faqs/47871-overclocking-101-a.html courtesy of Skull One

I run it twice as it's always faster after it's been cached. Usually running it after that gives you within 20-30points, depending on the run, so it's a pretty good idea of what your phone/rom is scoring.

EnJoY

Reaction score
Screen Preferences:
Auto Stretch = unchecked
Desktop Overshoot = 0

System Preferences:
Read "wallpaper Hack and Use Screen Cache's descriptions and check / uncheck based upon your setup

Wow, OK. Make sure ADW is the launcher you are running. Click the menu hard key (the one to the left of the home hard key). The bottom right choice should say "ADW Settings".

Click on the menu choice which says Screen Preferences (first menu choice) and make the following changes:
Auto Stretch = unchecked (4th choice down)
Desktop Scrolling Speed = 170 (next to last choice, scroll down to find)
Desktop Overshoot = 0 (last choice)

Click the back hard key and go to System Preferences (fourth menu choice):
Read wallpaper Hack (fourth choice) and also Use Screen Cache's (sixth choice) description and check / uncheck based upon your specific setup
Disable Scrollable Widget Support (seventh choice) unless you *need* it

Hope that is a bit more helpful, if not please let me know where you're getting stuck.

Yea, I'm dumb. I was running Launcher2, which is why I couldn't find the settings. :icon_ nono2:

Running Launcher Pro now and I'm very happy.

serveitup911

Reaction score
i ran a quadrant, and got 455 without stagefright and 489 with it...and got over 800 on 0.7.0

You have to reboot for the new setting to take effect. You should get a similar score, or just slightly higher than your 0.7.0 benchmark.

PJnc284

Reaction score
ha. Quadrant fail

Cyanogen Demonstrates Quadrant’s Flaws &raquo BriefMobile

Today, famed Android developer Cyanogen posted a troubling tweet about the flaws of Aurora Softworks’ Quadrant application. He specifically pointed to the I/O portion of the Quadrant benchmark test. The I/O test is an assessment of the efficiency of “filesystem access and database operations” on a device. In Cyanogen’s tweet, he says he was able to exploit the flaw to get obscenely high Quadrant benchmark scores by mounting “a tmpfs over quadrant’s data directory.” A tmpfs, or temporary file storage system, can artificially inflate a device’s I/O score and provide unreal benchmark improvements.

We’ve seen this kind of artificially high score improvement most notably on the Samsung Galaxy S. The Galaxy S has been berated for it’s use of the RFS filesystem employed by Samsung which has caused stuttering and lag on Galaxy S devices. But hacks that mounted an Ext2, Ext3, or Ext4 partition to store application data boosted real world performance a sizable amount, but Quadrant scores through the roof.

quadrant-rape.png