What's so special about Sapphire?

velocity92c

Reaction score
I keep seeing these posts all over the forums raving about Sapphire so I finally flashed and am currently using Sapphire. I understand it is built from source but I fail to really tell how that affects me, the end user. My Quadrant score with a 1.2ghz kernel is about 1540 on Sapphire which is no doubt a phenomenal score, but I get over 1600 with my BB0.4 and a 1ghz kernel. The themes also leave a bit to be desired (the font on the blue smoked glass theme is by far the ugliest font I have ever seen, I am guessing that's why another zip labled 'no fonts' was an option - how can anyone use that awful, dreadful font?), I prefer the regular, non blue smoked glass theme, though 928's theme is pretty nice.

Anyway, this isn't intended as an insult to the Sapphire dev team, I have a feeling I am missing some of the features and would like to be enlightened. The QS score is the second highest I've ever gotten behind BB so I know this is a very solid rom, I think I just need to learn it a little better. Tell me, what advantages does it possess over BB besides being built from source (or just tell me what advantages it being built from source the dumb end user [me] will notice). Are there more (read: better) themes on the way? Future plans for the rom? Update frequency? This will be the first rom I've ever kept on my phone longer than an hour before switching back to BB because it's fast. Cyan, SS and others aren't even close.

Help me make my choice on whether to stick with Sapphire or not easier. Thanks :)

kook

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
GEM app is pretty cool. There are nice customizations you can make there.

The ability to change notification, date, time font colors.

The MUCH longer battery life and cooler temps.

Stability. I haven't had 1 reboot of force close.

As far as themes....the one in my sig....3 colors from roberj and the nextang are available.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Then why reply to this thread?

The wiki they have setup is a great place to read up on features and what makes it different. I am on my phone or I would start to list out a whole bunch. Though my main reason why I use this ROM? The support. The dev team has been the nicest group of people I know. Heck, they even helped me with a problem I had with ubuntu on my laptop while in the IRC. That is one reason I am sure every sapphire user would say.

Also, this rom is VERY new. if I remember what cvpcs said correctly, he wants to work on a solid base rom before moving onto features, so this rom isn't feature packed. Though I have not found one good enough reason to switch to another ROM.

I could go on and on, but my thumbs don't like typing on a droids keyboard, plus its a little late :) in a month this rom will be a force to be reckoned with, and you can quote me on it all you want, because I know it will turn out to be the truth.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll just simply point you to the main sapphire site (http://sapphire.cvpcs.org/wiki) and say that there's no substitute for experience - try running the latest version for a few days, try to find a theme you like, etc. See what you think after that trial period.

I run Sapphire because of the great support and structure - cvpcs has his own wiki, vendor setup, github, etc. - and because in a short time he has put together one of the finest products out there. He was putting out mature, polished Froyo builds while CyanogenMod 6 was in alpha.

There's a bright future here and I want to be a part of it.

btb103

Reaction score
What tanknspank and pdroid said.

Sapphire gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. :)

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
What tanknspank and pdroid said.

Sapphire gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. :)

well make sure you leave it off vibrate when in your pants pocket... :icon_eek:

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I'd like to add that after flashing Sapphire you don't have to sit on the forum for hours waiting for updates to fix issues.

Their builds are solid right out to the gate. Personally I do not like to update my ROM everyhour because of issues.

Only time I have had to update Sapphire was for a build change. If you are looking for updates everyother day to quench your thirst for flashing this ROM will not be for you.

If you are looking for a rom that will provide stability and reliability look no further. As a bonus cvpcs and sniffle are 2 very nice devs who are very welcoming to EVERYONE.

They are doing things right in this little corner of cyberspace so join in on the freshness that they bring.

Sent from my Droid

gwwjpd

Reaction score
I don't know if it's special, but I like the ability to long press power button to get - Reboot and reboot into Recovery option

But the biggest reason for me, it runs very smooth and cool with no FCs.
I got over 1600 Quadrant with P3Droid's 1.2GHz LV kernel.:icon_ banana:
CAP201007140114.jpg

So I'm sticking with Sapphire for a while. Or until the next new or updated ROM is released.

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
I used BB v.4 for days and yes the speed was great. I think I had the fastest Quadrant speed with BB v.4 but as the same time my battery life with it wasnt great. I tried different kernels. Between UL, LV and different brands. I even used default that BB had. In addition, I stopped using setcpu for a day and let Pete's script handle the battery. I had no luck at all with battery performance. Every day I would take off my phone off the charger at 930am and then I would I need to charge it around 6pm or 7pm with normal use. So I tried Sapphire. Great performance and stable. Quadrants are less than BB v.4 but the battery performance is great. I tested it yesterday. I took my phone off the charger at 930am and 10pm that night I was at 30% with same usuage...dancedroid

BullDroid

Reaction score
I can attest to Sapphire rock solid stability! Usually 0 issues from the time of flashing onwards and by far the most stable rom I've ever been on!

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Please folks, let's not go down this path. I don't want to have to drag the mods in here. Thanks.

white_ash143

Reaction score
Please folks, let's not go down this path. I don't want to have to drag the mods in here. Thanks.

Agreed...

The number one reason I use Sapphire is because it isn't a kanged-up CyanogenMod like the majority of ROM's here. I did prefer BB until I noticed pete acts like he has better things to do than respond to issues with his hax.

This thread could potentially lead to fanboyism issues....

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can bet that cvpcs has credited every feature in his changelog to whoever made it. But he also tries to make them on is own or in his own way, without useing others in anyway at all

And again, sapphire is new. How would saying some like BD/Cyanogen had that months ago when this rom wasn't around help anything? If anything cvpcs is just making up for lost time.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

h_10

Reaction score
most of the roms are great. some have issues here, others have issues there. but as a whole, all the roms are great. it comes down to preference. i tried pete's bb, he who shall not be named's UD extreme, and sapphire. i like sapphire the best, right now. that's the great thing for us users. the roms keep getting better and we get the benefits.

in a month from now, bb may be better, or some other rom. i have no problems switching because all the devs do a great job. also, that's why i donated $ to most of them, whether i use the rom or not. it's just better for everyone if we have more and more dedicated developers. we are all the better for it.