What exactly does Stagefright break/fix?

akanealw

Reaction score
I have drod's latest rom, 1.9.0 running over the 2.3.320 leak from TBH. I checked the build.prop to see if stagefright was enabled or not and they are all set to true.

i noticed that shoutcast streaming on winamp works now. is there something that i'm sacrificing by leaving stagefright on? or is it broken for only certain video or audio formats? is there an easier way to toggle it on/off than editing the build.prop in case i want it off? maybe using gscript?

thanks for any info or help you can give me :)

Inkarnit

Reaction score
I have drod's latest rom, 1.9.0 running over the 2.3.320 leak from TBH. I checked the build.prop to see if stagefright was enabled or not and they are all set to true.

i noticed that shoutcast streaming on winamp works now. is there something that i'm sacrificing by leaving stagefright on? or is it broken for only certain video or audio formats? is there an easier way to toggle it on/off than editing the build.prop in case i want it off? maybe using gscript?

thanks for any info or help you can give me :)

You can't play videos you've recorded. Not sure what else it causes problems with. GScript could absolutely be used to toggle them on/off. I don't think you gain anything leaving them on though...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

DroidEric

Reaction score
It helps with media streaming (think youtube's mobile site and the like) but it broke Pandora among other things. This is Pandora's fault IMO. I thought stagefright was fixed. Are you having an issue?

OP
A

akanealw

Reaction score
so far everything i've tried works. i haven't tried recording video tho, not a huge deal. i'll just test it over the next few weeks or until the next rubix ;) and see how it goes.

teh_g

Reaction score
Hmm. I might re-enable this. I never record videos on my phone, and if I do, I will just switch this off. If it provides faster media streaming while only breaking a function I don't use, that sounds great to me.

OP
A

akanealw

Reaction score
How would that script look? I'm new to scripting in android and linux in general. Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk