Spelling out puncuation

twilightandmist

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Hi all,
I am new to this, so bare with me. I have a Droid Turbo, and I use the talk to txt a lot. It is faster than typing. Well my phone always used to put in the punctuation......like if I said exclamation point at the end of a sentence, it would put a ! same with a comma, and period.
For the last few weeks it has stopped doing that and now spells out the words instead of inserting the punctuation marks. Can anyone shed any light on why this is happening all of a sudden? It is really a PIMA!!!

Thanks!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Welcome to the forum! I don't use speech-to-text a WHOLE lot, but I do use it on occasion. I just sent a Hangouts message using my voice and my Nexus 6P put in a . when I said "period." Like you said, it's always done that.

That's weird that it's writing the word out for you. Have you changed keyboards or changed any settings for your keyboard and/or in "Language & Input" in the main settings?

OP
twilightandmist

twilightandmist

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I did change keyboards AFTER it started thinking maybe something was wrong with the one that came built in to my phone, and that worked for a bit then started locking up so I uninstalled it and went back to the one that was built in. Still same issue. I haven't changed any settings as far as I can tell, there doesn't appear to be much you can change.....

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Well I haven't noticed the same problem you mention, however I have noticed a new thing is doing. If I pause while speaking at the end of a sentence, and don't say 'period', it places one and automatically starts the next sentence with a capital letter (like it just did at the end of the first sentence), so it's apparently getting more intelligent. I still have to add commas and if I want an exclamation point or question mark I do need to say so, but for most quick notes I can note just talk like a normal person and the results are impressive. Perhaps the timing for saying the punctuation has changed due to the new self-punctuation? Could you try doing the punctuation quicker or slower after the last word and see if it responds differently?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
twilightandmist

twilightandmist

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I can try. It just really seems like it it's changed from what it used to be it's not getting more intelligent, it is getting worse all the time. It does seem to work a little better if I don't hesitate and I just keep talking words and say the punctuation all in one breath. Only one that seems to work with a break of seconds in between is . Just really odd how all of a sudden it started acting up when it all was working so perfectly in the beginning. I guess it's a learning curve, then I will have to be a little more diligent about how I speak into this thing. LOL!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Okay now I'm testing my own speech to text I'm not telling it to put any periods or anything in I paused long enough after saying or anything in just before this and it didn't put a. It was long enough for Google to stop listening

Now, I am saying my punctuation. If I try to use the exclamation point will it give me an!? Well that's funny. Now it's done both. I wonder if it tries to use context to see whether you want to use the punctuation or to spell out the word...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yep.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I believe the Droid Turbo came loaded with the Google Keyboard as the stock Keyboard. I see there was an update to that app in 22 Feb. Maybe that update started the issues? Have you tried uninstalling the updates to the Google Keyboard app and trying speech to text again?

OP
twilightandmist

twilightandmist

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
No doubt it's quite strange. Frustrating when you're trying to get a message to someone and you constantly have to stop and erase the words for the punctuation instead of the punctuation mark. And on my phone it seems like?. Work and, and! Don't more often than not. I'm laughing watching this thing type what I'm saying it's so funny it stops and thinks it writes one thing backs up write something else it's really funny

OP
twilightandmist

twilightandmist

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I believe the Droid Turbo came loaded with the Google Keyboard as the stock Keyboard. I see there was an update to that app in 22 Feb. Maybe that update started the issues? Have you tried uninstalling the updates to the Google Keyboard app and trying speech to text again?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
No doubt it's quite strange. Frustrating when you're trying to get a message to someone and you constantly have to stop and erase the words for the punctuation instead of the punctuation mark. And on my phone it seems like?. Work and, and! Don't more often than not. I'm laughing watching this thing type what I'm saying it's so funny it stops and thinks it writes one thing backs up write something else it's really funny
Yes, I've noticed it does that too. I believe it's trying really hard to be intuitive in the content, using expected grammar as a part of the text prediction/identification. We all have to be pretty amazed that it works at all, not to mention that it works incredibly well. Still, growing pains will come as they try to refine it and make it better. Fix this or make it do that, break the other is the mantra for software development in many cases.

I actually was impressed when it could figure out the end of one sentence and knew to punctuate and capitalize going forward. I'll play with this some more and see if I can gain a better understanding as to what sets it off to do one or the other.

gcaussade

Reaction score
I finally found a post describing my problem. Google voice recognition writes out comma or period, instead of using , or . Huge waste of time. I went to Samsung experience store at best buy and they said Google issue. Wanted to make sure I didn't have strange setting set incorrectly. We tested it on his personal phone and it was happening there, too! He said most people don't use punctuation, so they don't notice. (Seriously, I feel like he was insinuating I was old and was using the technology improperly. That was a first, lol) I'm definitely using Google Voice recognition and not something else comma and that word was just added in by the voice recognition. But, the period was added in properly. It's hard to know when we will work properly. Love to have a fix.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Hello, I don't think it's working. Wait a second... I am speaking all of this, and it is putting in the periods and commas..,!? Colon semicolon. Quotations End quotes parentheses open parenthesis period question mark exclamation point..,!. Strangers you for sure.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello, I don't think it's working. Wait a second... I am speaking all of this, and it is putting in the periods and commas..,!? Colon semicolon. Quotations End quotes parentheses open parenthesis period question mark exclamation point..,!. Strangers you for sure.

Bummer. I spoke this entire response. To do a period I spoke in a lower octave. Oh and I'm using Swype .

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
With the period & comma, it seems to try to use context around.

OP, do you pause for just a second after saying period? It seems like when I pause slightly after saying period is when it puts the . instead of typing the word out. I could be crazy though. It's way past my bedtime.