speed test app

trackman1

Reaction score
just curious what is the best speed test app to use?...to test upload and download speeds....thanks

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
alot of people use the speedtest app. I really don't know any other apps other than that one. Just search "speed test" and see what you get

OP
T

trackman1

Reaction score
ok...just curious what was a good quality app to use.........i do see there are several....

nleksan

Reaction score
SpeedTest.net app is my favorite, as it is quite accurate for both 3G/4G and for WiFi and also keeps track of every result you ever get along with the server you utilized and the date/time of the test. This can be extremely useful for things such as determining if there is a new 4G tower closer to you or so forth. Plus, it's free! Just be careful if you have a limited data plan, as it can chew through the bytes!

tannins

Reaction score
So, what are good results?
I just tested for the first time (WiFi) and here's what I got;
Ping 41ms
Download 12440kbps
Upload 2121kbps

What's it mean?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Ping 41ms
Download 12440kbps
Upload 2121kbps

What's it mean?

Speedtest tests your internet connection speed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Ping 41ms
Download 12440kbps
Upload 2121kbps

What's it mean?

Those are pretty good results..

rjcapp

Reaction score
ForumRunner_20120826_205707.png

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Droid Forums

Tas

Reaction score
These have been random tests in different areas in Brooklyn, NYC.

ForumRunner_20120827_113611.png

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

tannins

Reaction score
I seem to have better results in a good 4g zone than at home on WiFi. Does that make sense?

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1346100643676.png
    uploadfromtaptalk1346100643676.png
    193.2 KB · Views: 164

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I seem to have better results in a good 4g zone than at home on WiFi. Does that make sense?
Yes, at time 4g can be faster than your home network. Most people with wifi probably get around 15-20mbps, 4g can easily (depending on traffic on the tower) can exceed 25mbps.

For 4g and Wifi throughout the day, I get about the same. At night, 4g is usually quicker for me, I've seen 32mbps a few times, but that's a rarity

nleksan

Reaction score
Yeah, WiFi is dependent on your home internet connection speed, which will always be lower than advertised (i.e. "$50 for 25Mbps Broadband" will NEVER hit 25Mbps) due to overhead, "sharing" with neighbors, encryption, and distance from hub. If you're paying for 25Mbps, you should expect anywhere from 5-15Mbps; also, WiFi is ALWAYS slower than wired connections, it's a fact and there is no way around it. Adding the additional encryption of WiFi as well as the variations in signal strength, distance variations, and interference from just about everything; you end up with WAY less than what the provider says you will get. Also, they refer to "MegaBITS" while never, ever, ever, ever, EVER making any clear distinction to the consumer about the difference between a bit and a byte (8 bits = 1 byte; most basic encryption is 8b/10b which cuts throughput, and more advanced can cut it further but it's getting better). That is why, when you download a file, you don't see "15,051KB/s" speed, but more like "348.1KB/s or 855.3KB/s".

For what it's worth, I have 50Mb/s home internet, and I get pretty close to advertised speeds due to tweaking and modifying stuff...
On my GNex, my absolute fastest 4G test has been 41.03MB/s down and 21.9MB/s up. That's WAAAY faster than my home internet, but testing my phone at home results in slower speed than WiFi the vast majority of the time.

Plus, WiFi saves your battery :D