Soon to be D2G owner, let me see if I get this right...

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am getting my D1 replaced with a D2G tomorrow, and wanted to say hello, make sure I am on the right page with the D2G world, and ask a few simple questions.

As far as I understand, there is only ONE ROM out for the D2G, which is the Fission ROM. The SBF file will go public in the next (lets say) week, and then we will have a failsafe - to ensure that our phone's are 99.99% safe from bricking.

The Bootloader can't be hacked, so we are stuck with Bootstrapper, which allows us to make nandroids, etc. but is a bit finicky.

The phone stock has a lot of bloatware, and the battery can be a little bleak because of that bloatware. My options are to get an extended battery, or root and get rid of the Blur stuff.

I think that about covers what I know. Now for my questions.

1. When the SBF is released, will we be seeing more ROMs/themes/etc. come out for this device? Or is it not going to see as much development as say the Eris or D1, because it is not as popular a phone as these devices/different framework (thanks Moto)?

2. How finicky is bootstrapping? I don't need to change my boot animation, but I enjoy flashing zips, making backups, and being able to access a recovery screen with ease.

3. I have always used z4root and NEVER used RSD Lite. Since the process is different on the D2G, what do I need exactly to use the SBF file in case of brick? I will use z4root, and the bootstrapper, but what else do I need... the SBF file and RSD Lite, is that it?

Thanks for reading all of this, and hope to hear back from you guys!

Matt

Last edited:

trook

Reaction score
You got everything right except for the bootstrapper being finicky, Ive used it hunderds of times and its solid. I think that there will be more roms availible for the global as more people switch and as more developers get their hands on them. My wife has the global and I have the droid 2 and we d2 users have about 10 roms to choose from, but its constantly growing.
Z4 root is what I used on my wifes global. RSD lite is a motorola tool made to revert your phone to its out of the box state if you happen to brick it. Its easy, you plug your phone into your pc, open rsd lite, open the sbf file within rsd lite, then flash away. Well you already know to make a backup but also make sure to back up your contacts to gmail or the backup assistant too, I backed my contacts up to gmail,its made my life easier and you will never lose them. Well I think thats it. Happy modding!

wilboy

Reaction score
3. I have always used z4root and NEVER used RSD Lite. Since the process is different on the D2G, what do I need exactly to use the SBF file in case of brick? I will use z4root, and the bootstrapper, but what else do I need... the SBF file and RSD Lite, is that it?

Matt
This is what i posted to another thread..

" SBF in rar files format-you can do this using normal recovery by renaming it to update.zip for bricked phones!(I'm not sure w/ this method)

If you Unzipped SBF rar(you will see the files in sbf format) and this format is the one uses RSD using usb cable.....but i don't know yet on how the phone be w/ when flashing it using RSD.... but i know how i do it in D1. "

Jolly

Reaction score
Hey all,

I am getting my D1 replaced with a D2G tomorrow, and wanted to say hello, make sure I am on the right page with the D2G world, and ask a few simple questions.

As far as I understand, there is only ONE ROM out for the D2G, which is the Fission ROM. The SBF file will go public in the next (lets say) week, and then we will have a failsafe - to ensure that our phone's are 99.99% safe from bricking.

The Bootloader can't be hacked, so we are stuck with Bootstrapper, which allows us to make nandroids, etc. but is a bit finicky.

The phone stock has a lot of bloatware, and the battery can be a little bleak because of that bloatware. My options are to get an extended battery, or root and get rid of the Blur stuff.

I think that about covers what I know. Now for my questions.

1. When the SBF is released, will we be seeing more ROMs/themes/etc. come out for this device? Or is it not going to see as much development as say the Eris or D1, because it is not as popular a phone as these devices/different framework (thanks Moto)?

2. How finicky is bootstrapping? I don't need to change my boot animation, but I enjoy flashing zips, making backups, and being able to access a recovery screen with ease.

Matt

As Far as I know you can the D2G SBF File in the Team Black Hat App. You can buy that in the Market. I also know that there is a Version of TranQ in the works for the D2G but I'm not sure of an ETA.

Sent from my Droid X Running TranQ 3.6.0

buryboi

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
droidtwoglobalgetrdonedevteam.webs.com
I'm certainly not all knowing, and it seems like you've already done a bit of research, but my best guesses in answering your questions are:

This has yet to be seen, but the X and standard D2 have had sbf for a while and each have a handful of ROMs available. It is likely that the D2G will get similar treatment.

Not that finicky for me. It is overall a great utility.

The biggest issues seem to be:

Clockwork sometimes booting instead of os (even when supposedly not selected). Selecting reboot from clockwork will load the os.

Uninstalling is not the most straight forward, instructions are available around here, but simply uninstalling the app wont make clockwork recovery go away.

When a bad "rom" is flashed, it may take an unknown number of battery pulls to get clockwork to finally load (not necessarily clockworks problem)

Z4root always works for me (sometimes it has taken a few tries). And I haven't used the sbf yet, but it seems that all you will need is the sbf (currently only available through the TBH app in the market) and RSD lite.

Last edited: