Some questions from a potential buyer whose life is on google

BinfordsTool

Reaction score
As the title suggests, I use google for damn near everything. Calendar, Voice, Contacts, Gmail... I love it. I have an extensive amount of stuff up on my google account, which makes going for a droid seem like a no brainer. I just have a few questions that my searches haven't revealed to me. First, all the contacts I want are already on google, but I'd like to use facebook to update statuses. Does facebook necessarily HAVE to sync contacts (I don't want the hassle of merging or deleting people if I don't have to) or can the app run independently of the sync feature. The droid will be my second smartphone. I am someone who was doing a lot of travelling overseas, so right now I have an unlocked, winmobile 6.5 HTC Dash that is far from perfect, but does the job. However, this started my love affair with smartphones. Having access to the net and email everywhere is the big appeal. Especially since I am gmail based, thats whats pushing me towards the droid. My normal phone when I'm back in the states (which will be for good starting Dec 11) is an LG flip phone with little to no "smart" functions. I barely am able to check my email. So that being said.. Notifications, how are they handled on the droid? The Dash I have has a nice home screen that displays unread messages and text messages. I'm hoping its similar in droid? I hate ringtones, are there a variety of vibrate patterns for droid? Or will I have to cave and enable sounds to hear it (which will ultimately be a traditional ringing noise if necessary). What advice would you give to a firsttime user of android? I own and iTouch, the droid isn't going to be loaded with music or stuff, its really going to be an information center. I do public relations for an Emergency Medical Service (as well as work as an emt), so being able to grab news, gps locations, google street view, and the like will come in handy. I also will try to figure out how to use our exchange server to sync with that... we'll see though. Thanks!

bacalao

Reaction score
yea, don't know what you're waiting for! I hope you go with the Droid and one day come in tell us how it helped you save someone's life (or your social life). I am always at work or school, and I only have my phones on vibrate. I'm sure if it doesn't have a diverse enough selection of vibration patterns, there should be something in the android market.
good luck!

oceanlight

Reaction score
Does facebook necessarily HAVE to sync contacts (I don't want the hassle of merging or deleting people if I don't have to) or can the app run independently of the sync feature.
---
it does not have to. you can tell it to sync all, or none, or just the ones already in your contacts list.

OP
B

BinfordsTool

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replies... does anyone know if a twitter client for Android exists that supports multiple accounts? My ability to browse the marketplace is pretty limited without a phone yet...

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I believe a Twitter app does exist for the Droid. I think I've seen a couple just browsing the market, I don't use Twitter myself. I haven't used Facebook in over a year, but since it's a feature on my phone, might get back into it.

Since you heavily rely on Google, the phone seems to be a perfect fit for you, at least in a software point of view. The phone isn't bulky (I came from an AT&T Tilt), and it's nice and slim. Feels real nice in the pocket. All I can say is go check it out, and since you got everything Google, you're set.

Edit: Forgot to mention, notifications on the phone are real nice. Even when the screen is off you get a small green blinking light right above the screen to notify you. You might hear some stories of notifications not being shown or whatever, but I personally had no problems. I sent multiple emails to myself and get them literally within seconds. However, I would like to add that it's brand new hardware and brand new software, so there will be some bugs. I've never noticed anything on my phone, but I've read others have, guess I'm one of the lucky ones.

If any of the threads you read mention flaws and problems of the phone, i would also like to mention there will be a major OS update to the phone coming on Dec. 11th. This should fix all problems the phone is having. Considering the phone would only be out for a little over a month, Google is really on top of their game to satisfy their customers and get their excellent OS running perfectly.

It's not as easy as say "go out and try it". I recommend you do some further research, but from what you posted I'd say the phone will work the way you expect it to and beyond. I'm still amazed at what this phone can do and I've owned it since release date. Hope you can decide and good luck if you do get it!

sir

Reaction score
i think this should do everything you want. I hook up to exchange, I use google heavily like you, i have the facebook app syncing facebook info only for contacts that I already have on my phone (i believe your contact name has to be setup to mimic the facebook contact name, though), and I use Twitdroid until such a time as Tweetdeck can get their act together and migrate their twitter app to Android.

But as always, I'd suggest finding someone who has one and messing with it to ensure you feel comfortable holding, and interacting with the phone. You always have the 30 day return policy if you don't like it :)

And of course, if you have any questions after you get it, we'll do all we can to answer the questions for you!