Soldier with WIFI Connect problems

hooah87

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Me and my droid are stuck here in Afghanistan and will be here for about a year. I’ve purchased internet through one of the services here, and it works great on my computer but cannot get it to work on my droid. There are wireless networks in almost every building on base. They are all open wifi networks but is showing that it is a PPPOE connection, which means once I connect to the open wifi network, I then have to open the windows dial-up screen and connect again with my credentials in order to use the internet.
Just plain connecting to the wifi network on the droid does not work, first think I tried, it just keeps trying to obtain an IP address. I’m pretty sure that they do not do mac address filtering as I have connected to the network on other people’s computers using my credentials and other have been connecting with new devices they purchased here.
I’ve been searching the forum for a few days and have found some useful instructions, but have not been able to get it to work.
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/motorola-droid/15242-really-need-help-wifi-work.html
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/android-app-developers/25860-need-help-serious-app-wifi.html
Here’s what I’ve tried so far:
1. Wi-Fi Settings ----> Add Wi-FI Network
2. Enter Network SSID
3. Select 802.1x Enterprise for security
4. Leave PEAP selected for EAP Method
5. Leave Phase 2 authentication blank
6. Leave CA Certificate blank
7. Leave Client Certificate Blank
8. Enter my username in Identity field
9. Leave Anonymous Identity blank
10. Enter password in wireless password field
I’ve saved the network, but it keeps coming up as “Not in range, remembered”
I’ve also tried swapping all the EAP methods with Phase 2 authentications, mix matching all options and nothing has helped, and keep getting the same message that the network is not in range.
I’ve also tried resetting the credential storage password as mentioned in http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...culous-droid-wireless-connection-problem.html
I’m clueless at this point. The internet here is way slow but is always quicker when browsing the web on a mobile phone since you mostly access mobi sites anyway when using the default browser.
Thanks for what you guys do on here, thanks to the forum (before I left the US) I’ve configured my email settings to show my army email account and have found some very awesome aps!
If anyone has any ideas or new things I could try it would be greatly appreciated!

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum hooah!! and thank you very much for your service :D

i'm sure someone will be along to help you troubleshoot your problem soon just keep in mind it's like 2:55 EST here lol

J

Johnly

:welcome: to the forum hooah!! and thank you very much for your service :D

i'm sure someone will be along to help you troubleshoot your problem soon just keep in mind it's like 2:55 EST here lol
Thank god for you! No One gives better advice this time of night~

OP
H

hooah87

Reaction score
no real progress...

So i've been messing with it and still have not had any luck. I realize that this issue is not very common amongst droid users, any ideas as to how to possibly go about this would be greatly appreciated! :)