Ridiculous droid wireless connection problem

Infrared

Reaction score
i've been trying to connect to my school's wireless network for months now and they finally put up instructions on how to connect to the network via andriod...

Using BU (802.1x) with the Android OS

While the IT Help Center does not officially support the Motorola Droid, we hope these instructions — provided to us by a Droid owner — will help you set up a connection to BU (802.1x).

Configuration settings for BU (802.1x)

Connect to: BU (802.1x)
EAP method: PEAP (this is the default option)
Phase 2 Authentication: None (only option)
CA Certificate: N/A (only option)
Client Certificate: N/A (only option)
Identity: <BU login name>
Anonymous Identity: <BU login name>
Wireless Password: <Kerberos password>

I was just wondering how to input this information into my droid. Every time i click on the 802.1x wireless network that comes up, it asks for a 'credential storage password' and there is no where in the advanced settings tab or anything where I can input the aforementioned information.

thanks so much for your help

TySchwab23

Reaction score
you go to settings>wireless&networks>WiFi Settings>Add Wi-Fi Network

see i'm having the same problem with my droid. My school uses a secure wireless internet and I actually work for the IT department here but we have yet to figure anything out. it sees our network, but the cisco access points are asking for a WEP key and there is no single WEP key. Reading your post, i believe that we have the same setup. You have to set up your connection on your laptop and log in using your username and password, then you have access to the internet. We use the 802.11x encryption on all laptops, ipods, macs, etc but the 802.11x configuration on the droid isn't agreeing with the access point. I have just about exhausted my ways to set up this internet connection so I'm going to file a real complaint with my boss haha. If i hear anything, i'll be sure to repost in here.

OP
I

Infrared

Reaction score
you go to settings>wireless&networks>WiFi Settings>Add Wi-Fi Network

see i'm having the same problem with my droid. My school uses a secure wireless internet and I actually work for the IT department here but we have yet to figure anything out. it sees our network, but the cisco access points are asking for a WEP key and there is no single WEP key. Reading your post, i believe that we have the same setup. You have to set up your connection on your laptop and log in using your username and password, then you have access to the internet. We use the 802.11x encryption on all laptops, ipods, macs, etc but the 802.11x configuration on the droid isn't agreeing with the access point. I have just about exhausted my ways to set up this internet connection so I'm going to file a real complaint with my boss haha. If i hear anything, i'll be sure to repost in here.

so how does the iphone connect so easily?

TySchwab23

Reaction score
well mainly because i am a mac person and i knew how to set it up in the first place. but i wouldn't buy the iphone because its on at&t which sucks. anyway, at my school, it refuses to "locate" the access point when i attempt to set it up manually. i go about setting it up the same way we set up laptops/iphones/etc and all it tells me is "out of range" when there's an access point literally right above my head. it sees the access point but it wants a WEP passkey and there is no one specific WEP passkey, you login using your credentials (campus username & password) and when i attempt to change the settings, all it tells me is that its once again out of range.

i don't know who to blame, my university for not figuring this out by now or motorola for making their wifi so darn stubborn when trying configure secure wifi. seeing as this is the only device we have not been able to connect to wifi, i'm going to blame motorola lol. but i love my droid so i'm not that upset.

siorestech

Reaction score
I had a similar problem but found a solution. The WiFi at my work worked fine for the past week. Then suddenly today, when I tried to connect it prompted me to enter a "credential storage password". The WiFi password for my work didn't work, and neither did my gmail password nor my phone number. Nothing was changed on the WiFi network and a coworker's iPhone was still connecting fine. I have also never set up a credential storage password for my phone which can be found under Setting => Location & Security.

I called Verizon and their tech support said they don't troubleshoot for WiFi problems. I explained that it was clearly the phone and not the WiFi network so they transferred me to Motorola tech support. The guy told me that it was asking for a password associated with my wireless and not the droid phone. I told him this was bull but he was insistent and not helpful in any way.

When I tried a password that was incorrect a message appeared in red warning me that if 3 more incorrect passwords were entered, my credential storage would be deleted. I decided that I would just try triggering this result even though I was worried about locking up my phone. When the final attempt failed, a new window popped up telling me to enter a new credential storage password. I made up a password, entered it twice and now everything is back to working again.

My only guess is that using the WiFi network suddenly caused the Droid to require a credential storage password and instead of allowing me to make one on the spot, it incorrectly believed there was one already created. Of course both Verizon and Motorola were clueless about this and instead insisted it was a 3rd party problem.

As far as connecting to your school's wireless in the first place, I'm not sure what to tell you about the settings. Try doing what I did to get past the "credential storage password" part and then follow your school's instructions for the EAP method, Phase 2 Authentication, etc.

fleminator

Reaction score
Worked for me

siorestech was right, here are the steps that worked for me:

1. Open up the phone settings
2. Choose "Security"
3. Choose "Set password" and create a new credentials password

4. Install certificate, and use your new credentials password.

I should mention I am using an HTC Evo 4G on Sprint, but I don't think that matters.

jholive

Reaction score
Success!

I had the same issue, trying to connect to my university's wpa wifi. I had always connected fine until I had to change my university password. Then my Incredible kept asking for the "Credential Storage Password". These steps worked for me:

1. go to Security settings, and fail the 3 attemps to change the password
2. then it will allow you create a new one
3. Create a new password (I used one different from my university password, and it still worked)
4. Go to wireless networks and try to reconnect to your desired network
5. This time it should act like it is a brand new network and allow you to enter your account username and password.