solar charger?

92ehatch

Reaction score
Im a big golfer. Play 18 every saturday and sunday and a few afternoons in the week. I love my gps app but it struggles to last 4 hours. The perfect solution is a solar charger. I know they exist but do they work? Anyone tried one?

jakegsxr11

Reaction score
I have one I received at a seminar. I have it wedged between the headliner and windshield in my car. I'll test it out this weekend and let you know. It takes 50 hours to recharge the charger battery via solar power but it can be charged in 1-2 hours via a USB cable.

OP

92ehatch

Reaction score
I have one I received at a seminar. I have it wedged between the headliner and windshield in my car. I'll test it out this weekend and let you know. It takes 50 hours to recharge the charger battery via solar power but it can be charged in 1-2 hours via a USB cable.
Im not understanding. Thought a solar charger was just a panel that would connect to the phone and keep it charging. Sounds to me like its an external battery with a solar panel on it that doesnt function well

OP

92ehatch

Reaction score
Screenshot_2012-06-30-11-20-10.png

Nevermind, don't. Need one. Using smart actions to shut down gps and data when i turn off the screen i managed 5 hours at the course and only a 10% drain on battery.

Johnny14o

Reaction score
Solar charger

Im a big golfer. Play 18 every saturday and sunday and a few afternoons in the week. I love my gps app but it struggles to last 4 hours. The perfect solution is a solar charger. I know they exist but do they work? Anyone tried one?

Ok.. I had need of a solar charger. I have the kind with AA batteries in it as a backup, but found another one that charges on the fly. It is so powerful that I got a Micro USB Y-Splitter and can charge 2 Moto Bionic's at the same time

TSS YG-050. When looking at the TSSS be sure to look for the YG-050. There are TG-030 and lower model numbers, they have less juice. Please keep in mind that this thing is a good size. I used it in Disney World and camping strapped to my backpack.

One this that separated it from other solar panels, it effectively charged even in low light or cloud covered days

JRParsons

Reaction score
I tried a solar charger but found that it was much simpler to throw a spare battery in my pocket.

Johnny14o

Reaction score
True..

I understand that the spare battery is probably easier, overall. Nevertheless the conversation surrounded using a solar charger, not if you have access to a spare battery.

Besides, when I have been on camping trips, Disney, golfing GPS software, etc. they will crank through a battery (or a spare too). A solar charger sure is a nice way to keep your battery charged, until the sun goes down. THEN you have the spare battery for events in the evening.

IF you have need of a solar panel, I was providing input to the topic.

lykeme

Reaction score
Hello, I have not use these solar battery and also would like to know that will works or not?

I think they got to work because I have seen my few of neighbors are using those solar battery.

ShaneCr

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
True..

I understand that the spare battery is probably easier, overall. Nevertheless the conversation surrounded using a solar charger, not if you have access to a spare battery.

Besides, when I have been on camping trips, Disney, golfing GPS software, etc. they will crank through a battery (or a spare too). A solar charger manufactured by solar panels manufacturer sure is a nice way to keep your battery charged, until the sun goes down. THEN you have the spare battery for events in the evening.

IF you have need of a solar panel, I was providing input to the topic
Well both spare battery and solar panel is effective.. IF plenty of sunshine is available you can opt for solar charger otherwise keep spare battery with you..

Last edited:

XavierScotti

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Apple 4s
True..

Besides, when I have been on camping trips, Disney, golfing GPS software, etc. they will crank through a battery (or a spare too). A solar charger sure is a nice way to keep your battery charged, until the sun goes down. THEN you have the spare battery for events in the evening.

IF you have need of a solar panel, I was providing input to the topic.
Yes solar charger is pretty effective.. I do use it while camping and my power problem is nearly solved..