Recommend solar charger?

silverfang77

Reaction score
Last Friday, I had a power outage that lasted just under 24 hours. My Droid 4 dropped to 30% battery. I want to buy a solar charger, but am unsure of what to buy. I looked at some on Amazon, but they all seem to get mixed reviews, with some people saying that they function properly and others that they take days to charge a phone using solar power. Does anyone here have a solar charger that works with the D4 that they would recommend?

Thank you.

SylenThunder

Reaction score
It would need to have an output of no lower than 800mah to kind of properly charge the phone. Stock charger puts out 1000mah IIRC. (800mah is standard output from a USB port I think, but not certain.)

SolarJunkie

Reaction score
The best solar charger i found on Amazon with the highest reviews (only two bad reviews) is the sCharger-5:

Amazon.com: sCharger-5 High Performance, Fast, Solar Charger, Quickly Charges iPhone, iPod, Android Phones, Samsung, eReaders, and Many Other USB Devices Directly From Sunlight. And Extremely Reliable.: Cell Phones & Accessories

The other solar chargers i see have 10-20 really bad reviews like the goal zero and instapark, I would go for the sCharger-5 which does work with Droid phones.

OP
silverfang77

silverfang77

Reaction score
That's what put me off most of them too. It seems like if you want quality, you have to be willing to pay in the three digits. I purchased it and will give it a go during the next inevitable power outage.

Thank you.

SolarJunkie

Reaction score
That's what put me off most of them too. It seems like if you want quality, you have to be willing to pay in the three digits. I purchased it and will give it a go during the next inevitable power outage.

Thank you.

You get what you pay for, i bought a goal zero nomad 7 and a power monkey, both were around 2 digits, both were so bad i dropkicked them off a cliff. I bought suntactics solar charger and couldn't be happier!