so i was just at the verizon store and...

steveyos

Reaction score
Had my phone replaced because of a bad headphone jack. Not only did the verizon guy not care, but he had me root his phone while I was there.

Really? Before I even rooted mine I took it to the store for a headphone problem and the guy gave me a number to call instead of replacing it. What the hell.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
so the moral of this story is that the guys at verizon = stupid.

No the moral of the story is.. Verizon reps dont care if you are rooted and running Roms. At best they are clueless about it.

As a corporate rep, I resent that...especially as a rooted rep! And yes, 95% of the reps don't even know what "Root" is but, there are a few who do. Personally, I wouldn't own an unrooted Droid now that I see the benefits! I'd HATE to go back to stock!! I have quite a few rooted customers that text, call, and come to my store and we go back and forth about it all the time (coworkers look lost! Haha!!!). I've personally helped a few of them root their phones! I could care less if they're rooted or not..I'm not Motorola!

superbalde

Reaction score
Well Ted we did read that post and read the news weeks ago...what does legality have to do with warranty? have you read any of the previous posts??? As noted earlier legality means nothing....you can do what you want with your phone however that doesn't mean you can do anything you want with your phone and Verizon or Motorola have to give you replacements or new phones at your will. Why not shoot my slow working droid with my 45 and then take it in for warranty???

Wrong. If you read my post correctly, I stated that you can't be denied a warranty claim just for rooting your phone. If you take a rooted phone in, they can not just say "eh, no, denied, your phone is rooted." Now, if you had a rooted phone and you took a sht all over it and tried to return it, then obviously they can void it. Like I said in my prior post, rooting cannot void a warranty.

Ahahaha, cmon Ted! Rooting ABSOLUTELY voids your warranty. Modifying any of the stock programming outside of OTA updates and market apps voids your warranty as stated in your contract with VZW. VZW reps can be really loose or really strict about this (they could stop your warranty claim for installing Non-Market apps if they wanted). The whole deal about jailbreaking or rooting being legal doesn't stop the contract you signed saying you will not use the phone in a way it was not intended for.

They put those safeguards in place to protect themselves. If everyone was running 1.2ghz kernals and burning their CPUs, it's the modder's fault. VZW didn't run the droid up to 1.2ghz because they know it could ruin the phone.

So yes Ted, you can legally root your phone, but that doesn't mean your warranty is valid if you install things that could potentially damage your phone.

packetdog

Reaction score
Well Ted we did read that post and read the news weeks ago...what does legality have to do with warranty? have you read any of the previous posts??? As noted earlier legality means nothing....you can do what you want with your phone however that doesn't mean you can do anything you want with your phone and Verizon or Motorola have to give you replacements or new phones at your will. Why not shoot my slow working droid with my 45 and then take it in for warranty???

Wrong. If you read my post correctly, I stated that you can't be denied a warranty claim just for rooting your phone. If you take a rooted phone in, they can not just say "eh, no, denied, your phone is rooted." Now, if you had a rooted phone and you took a sht all over it and tried to return it, then obviously they can void it. Like I said in my prior post, rooting cannot void a warranty.

Ahahaha, cmon Ted! Rooting ABSOLUTELY voids your warranty. Modifying any of the stock programming outside of OTA updates and market apps voids your warranty as stated in your contract with VZW. VZW reps can be really loose or really strict about this (they could stop your warranty claim for installing Non-Market apps if they wanted). The whole deal about jailbreaking or rooting being legal doesn't stop the contract you signed saying you will not use the phone in a way it was not intended for.

They put those safeguards in place to protect themselves. If everyone was running 1.2ghz kernals and burning their CPUs, it's the modder's fault. VZW didn't run the droid up to 1.2ghz because they know it could ruin the phone.

So yes Ted, you can legally root your phone, but that doesn't mean your warranty is valid if you install things that could potentially damage your phone.

Guys, this is absolutely correct. It is 100% legal under DCMA laws to circumvent the blocks in place to obtain root access to your phone. Motorola's warranty (as administered by Vzw retail stores) is VOID if you run unauthorized OS modifications/ROMs/hacks on your phone. They made a product, and warrant that it will be defect-free AS THEY SOLD IT. If you change the software on it and cause it to overheat, overvolt, etc, and/or otherwise burn out, why should Motorola replace that? You're running it outside of spec defined by the manufacturer.

That said, warranty voiding is an interesting thing. If you flash the stock unrooted .sbf, delete all of the root apps (probably not even necessary..) and wipe your SD card, how could they know that the phone was previously rooted? That's right, they can't. That's the point. From the day you root your phone, you take the risk that hardware failure will render you unable to flash that stock ROM back on the phone. If your issue/hardware failure isn't severe enough to cause flashing issues, then you're still under warranty as far as they can tell. Does that make sense?