Smartphone Olympics - AnandTech Shares Benchmarks for 27 Devices

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
benchmarks3_egypt.jpg

AnandTech, the hardware 'tech-lord' website, recently released a set of benchmarks for 27 different smartphone devices. There are more Android devices on here than any other, but Apple and RIM are 'represented' in some of them as well. Of course 'Andy' dominates the competition. Their original article was really just a first-run test of the LG Optimus 3D, but the info on the rest of the phones is valuable too. The LG Optimus 3D pretty munch trounces everyone else in most of the benchies.

Above is a pic of one of the benchmarks, and below is a video of the 3D 'Egypt' test. You can hit the 'More Benchmarks' link below for a few more to get your 'nerd juices' flowing.

[video=youtube;GKDSHI_f4Ik]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKDSHI_f4Ik&feature=player_detailpage]YouTube - LG Optimus 3D running GLBenchmark 2.0[/video]

More Benchmarks: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...t/126226-smartphone-benchmarks-anandtech.html
Source: AndroidPolice via AnandTech

Detonation

Reaction score
The Fascinate placing 3rd on that list just goes to prove that good benchmarks don't necessarily mean its the best phone.

i can read

Reaction score
Iphone 3GS outperformed the Iphone 4. Shows how good the Iphone 4 is

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

Or that the benchmark/test is flawed. I can't comment, but I thought that was a curious result as well.

The two LG phones are really impressive. Too bad neither one is coming to VZW (I don't think).

sb1831

Reaction score
interesting for people that play games of stream video...

JeffDenver

Reaction score
The reason the iPhone 4 seems so low is because it has a far higher resolution than the 3GS. Remember that this demo renders at whatever the native resolution is, and the iPhone 3GS has a crappy resolution while the iPhone 4 has a very HIGH resolution...probably the highest in that bunch.

So it is not really an apples to apples comparison (heh heh).

If you adjust those results for screen resolution, the iPhone 4 places much higher.

Beardface

Reaction score
The reason the iPhone 4 seems so low is because it has a far higher resolution than the 3GS. Remember that this demo renders at whatever the native resolution is, and the iPhone 3GS has a crappy resolution while the iPhone 4 has a very HIGH resolution...probably the highest in that bunch.

So it is not really an apples to apples comparison (heh heh).

If you adjust those results for screen resolution, the iPhone 4 places much higher.

So what you're saying is that Apple put out a device that has a display that the processor can't keep up with... Not only one device, but two when you factor in the iPad.

Normally, I'd say its just the test, but when both of Apple's top end devices place dead last, it is glaring. They are putting out devices that are awesome for on screen graphics, and great for simple animation, but when you try to maximize the potential of the display with video, the things slow to an absolute crawl. Perhaps the iPhone 5 improves upon that, but they have a very, very long way to go to match the top-end Android devices, especially since those have great screens as well.

What good is the retina display if the processor craps all over itself when you try to watch something, or play a game? I'd rather have the 3GS with its worse display and smoother playback than the iP4 and its great graphics and choppy playback. That would drive me up the wall!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
There's another thread with additional benchmarks and the IP4 does just fine, at the top of models with comparable specs/release dates.

The IP5 is supposed to be dual core and probably will go to the top of that list, but it will be interesting to see how the dual core Androids run fully optimized on Gingerbread.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
So what you're saying is that Apple put out a device that has a display that the processor can't keep up with...

Anyone who runs benchmarks on a PC knows full well that the resolution the benchmark demo is run at has a lot to do with the results. I have run these Open GL benchmarks on my Droid before...and yeah, it is running at whatever the native resolution of the device is.

The Droid runs at 854 x 480 (410,000 pixels). The Apple 3GS is 320 x 480 (154,000 pixels). So the Droid 1 is rendering over 2 and a half times as many pixels. If the 3GS were also rendering 410,000 pixels, it would be placing a lot lower on that list.

And that is not even getting into the color bit depth. Rendering an 8-bit image is going to be a lot faster than a 16 bit image.

The results are not quite as obvious as they might seem. Thats all I'm sayin.

Normally, I'd say its just the test, but when both of Apple's top end devices place dead last, it is glaring.

If you have ever played games or demos on either of those devices, it becomes "glaring" how obviously wrong these results are.

I dont think the iPhone 4 would place first, but it is most CERTAINLY not weaker than a stock Droid 1. Or an iPhone 3GS.

What good is the retina display if the processor craps all over itself when you try to watch something, or play a game?

Games do not necessarily have to run at the native resolution. The chart is only valid if you assume that all games on the iPhone 4 are running at its full resolution.

The iPhone 4 is not the best out there, but it is comparable to high end single core Android phones.

The IP5 is supposed to be dual core and probably will go to the top of that list, but it will be interesting to see how the dual core Androids run fully optimized on Gingerbread.

Dual core Androids are already out now, and will only get better. If the iPhone5 debuts at the top (and even that is not a given) it wont be there long.

moosez3

Reaction score

Or that the benchmark/test is flawed. I can't comment, but I thought that was a curious result as well.

The two LG phones are really impressive. Too bad neither one is coming to VZW (I don't think).

I really would like to try an LG phone but it doesnt seem like an LTE device is even in the horizon...

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Kinda off topic, but this is the first time I've seen this phone. Just curious, since this has 2 back-facing cameras, does that mean the pictures it takes will be x2 its megapixels? So if they are both 4 MP each, will the picture be as good as an 8MP picture/camera?

adjangs

Reaction score
Kinda off topic, but this is the first time I've seen this phone. Just curious, since this has 2 back-facing cameras, does that mean the pictures it takes will be x2 its megapixels? So if they are both 4 MP each, will the picture be as good as an 8MP picture/camera?

No nothing cool like that they're only good for taking 3d pictures. :)

Although theoretically, there probably is something to be gained from images taken at infinity.