Smart Phone Signal vs. "Dumb" Phones

obutto

Reaction score
Just want to promote discussion.

From all the smart phones I've owned (Droid 1, Droid 2, Droid Pro), one thing has been blatantly apparent, the signal strength of smart phones seems to be weaker than that of dumb phones.

Now I broke my Droid Pro yesterday (ripped LCD ribbon while replacing digitizer) and I've been using my old dumb Samsung SCH u740. One thing I've noticed was that the signal on this phone is remarkably stronger. I live in an area with weak reception, almost no 3G comes to my house (took a toll on my Droid's battery) and the 1X also very weak. My Droids would average 0-1 bars 1X and I would end up receiving texts either late and/or by bundles. I haven't had this problem on my SCH u740. I'm averaging 2 bars constant 1X and my texts come right on time.

I'm going to see the connection on my dad's Samsung Fascinate to see if its Motorola only, but what is YOUR experience with connection? Of course, 3G is faster, but how about your voice calls/texts?

I'm going to miss Android, downgrading to a cheap Blackberry (will let you guys know about connection on this phone) while waiting for the Galaxy S2 :).

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
It is typically better on dumbphones. They have antena's in better places (such as top of phone rather than the middle when if its in a pocket its pressed against your leg.

Sent from an Angelic D2G

Oowoon

Reaction score
It is typically better on dumbphones. They have antena's in better places (such as top of phone rather than the middle when if its in a pocket its pressed against your leg.

Sent from an Angelic D2G

It kinda makes me wonder why they do that. So its more sleek? Reception in my area and school is usually good though.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
Probably just trying to make everything fit with in the casing of the phone as it was designed.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
From all the smart phones I've owned (Droid 1, Droid 2, Droid Pro), one thing has been blatantly apparent, the signal strength of smart phones seems to be weaker than that of dumb phones.
It really just depends on the specific device you're talking about. Experience with a few smartphones doesn't really indicate an overall trend with all smartphones out there.

bassjason

Reaction score
Ive always wondered why my cheap work phones got such better reception than my droids

Reaction score
I've had blackberries since the early models, Windows Mobile 6.x phones, a Palm phone and currently a Thunderbolt. I can tell you that none of them get the reception of my old Samsung flip phone or Moto RAZR. So far my TBolt has gotten reception everywhere I've gone and usually 2+ bars so it may buck the trend, but it's also my first Verizon phone so I don't have any dumbphone comparisons.