other phone vs droid reception

snake

Reaction score
For those of you with droids that have family members, who you live with, that use a different device...I was wondering how your Droid compares in signal strength under the same roof. My wife and I both have droids. Before that, both had the dare. The Droid seems to have a weaker signal in general. I've never dropped a call and I don't think my wife has either, but I've read about the Droid having a poor signal in comparison to other phones. We usually hang around -90dbm at our house. Honestly never checked the dare for actual signal. The bars were usually a good indication. The Droid however seems to fluctuate in bars while signal strength remains the same. On occasion we do lose 3g and show no signal for a brief period. Anyone notice a difference from their previous device or have some info while comparing the Droid to another phone in your household?

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
my Droid also fluctuates in its bars constantly....my mother has an Omnia, and my father has a BB Storm1...but I haven't ever really paid attention to their signal strength though...thats something I will have to check out

BradDroid

Reaction score
my Droid also fluctuates in its bars constantly....my mother has an Omnia, and my father has a BB Storm1...but I haven't ever really paid attention to their signal strength though...thats something I will have to check out

I'm curious, do the bars ever ever gray out completely during a call, ie; no bars? If so, does it recover to full during the call?

G8TR

Reaction score
Sitting in a restaurant with my son in law yesterday, searching the web. I have a Droid, he has an iPhone. I can go straight to the net, he has no signal. Who would have guessed that?

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
For me the number of bars means absolutely nothing. I have never dropped a call and unless I completely have NO service (probably .04% of anywhere I've ever been) it just works. 4 bars, no bars...droid just DOES.

OP
S

snake

Reaction score
For me the number of bars means absolutely nothing. I have never dropped a call and unless I completely have NO service (probably .04% of anywhere I've ever been) it just works. 4 bars, no bars...droid just DOES.

I haven't had any real issues with service, I was just curious how the Droid measures up in terms of signal strength. I'm not unsatisfied..just digging around.

BradDroid

Reaction score
I haven't had any real issues with service, I was just curious how the Droid measures up in terms of signal strength. I'm not unsatisfied..just digging around.

Your question sparked my interest. Seems this is an issue that is well documented.

Link.

OP
S

snake

Reaction score

I'm curious, do the bars ever ever gray out completely during a call, ie; no bars? If so, does it recover to full during the call?

For me the bars seem to have little meaning. My signal strength found in settings-about phone-status is the same while my bars go from nothing to full back to 1 then to 3...it doesn't matter

OP
S

snake

Reaction score

Your question sparked my interest. Seems this is an issue that is well documented.

Link.

I thought it might be nice if we could see some data from Droid owners who live with roommates or family that have Verizon with different phones and how the Droid does in the same environment

uma

Reaction score
Oh dear. I was so excited about the Droid with hopes of watching my shows on HULU eventually, that I never once even considered reception. With my first cell phone that's basically all I cared about... reception, sound, feel, and user friendliness. I hope my new Droid will work at my rural home. My little pebble would work in one spot in my home, and certain spots outside. I wished for more, but was happy to get that. I'll let you know how my Droid handles reception in about a week. (if I can find my way back to here).