Quick Question about 3G/4G showing signal strength

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well I don't have an Android phone as you can probably see on the side bar so bear with how much of a noob question this is. How can you tell how much signal you have for 3G or 4G if there is only one signal bar in the corner? For instance, my EnV Touch has a signal icon for EVDO and one below it for 1X. How can you tell the difference on an Android phone if there is only one signal graphic that just shows whether you are connected to 3G or 4G?

googlelover

Reaction score
Well I don't have an Android phone as you can probably see on the side bar so bear with how much of a noob question this is. How can you tell how much signal you have for 3G or 4G if there is only one signal bar in the corner? For instance, my EnV Touch has a signal icon for EVDO and one below it for 1X. How can you tell the difference on an Android phone if there is only one signal graphic that just shows whether you are connected to 3G or 4G?
Well, not sure on this just a guess, I would assume since 1x has a larger coverage area then 3G, if you are connected to 3G then you have a strong 1x singal, and if your connected to 4g you have a strong 3g signal and 1x signal. So if you are connected with 3g and it shows 3 bars, that means you have a 3 bar connection to 3g and the same, or better, with 1x. It doesn't show all connections because it doesn't need too.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
same thing pretty much.

if you don't have 3g it drops to 1x. If you don't have 4g it'll drop to 3g and show on the signal bar via an icon.