Smart Actions "manual trigger"

Jakewj

Reaction score
Alright, first post...

Last month, the wife and I jumped on the BOGO Razr deal and each got a Razr Maxx. WOW, I love this phone and it has far exceeded my expectations, especially coming from the OG Droid (me) and Droid Eris (her).

I've set up a few smart actions for both of our phones, but tonight I tried to set up one for her and ran into some difficulties.

I set a smart action under "meeting" for her that silences the phone, and sends a text reply to all calls and texts with a generic "In a meeting now, I'll get back to you soon" text response. Her schedule is such that I cannot set a trigger by the calender or time of day, so I deleted all triggers. When I saved the rule, a message popped up that reads "Without triggers, you will need to turn this rule on and off manually". This of course is exactly the point, allowing her to select the smart action whenever she wants. BUT, when I tried to select the smart action (by clicking the icon in the smart actions list) it reads "shutting down" under the smart action (where the others say 'active' or 'ready'), then does nothing. SO, how does one turn on a MANUAL smart action??

Sorry if this has been covered already. I searched but found nothing. This forum has been great for every question I've had and i appreciate any help

THANK YOU!!

Trash Can

Reaction score
Why not set a time trigger of 8 AM to 5 PM (or whatever)? Then have her enable/disable the smart action whenever she needs it.

Also, go to Smart Actions>menu>help. Lots of good info there, especially regarding how SA resolves conflicts.

OP
J

Jakewj

Reaction score
Wouldn't that mean that it would come on automatically at 8 am - 5 pm (or whatever time I set it for)? I don't want her to have to disable it every morning when she gets to work then turn it on for when she has a meeting.

Good suggestion, and I may use it, just trying to save a step.

Thanks

Trash Can

Reaction score
Once she shuts it down, it will remain disabled until she re-enables it again. She won't have to turn it off everyday - just use as needed.

OP
J

Jakewj

Reaction score
Trash Can;2038820 Also said:
I looked at the help section as you suggested. It says that all you have to do to enable or disable a manual trigger is to press the icon next to the rule to manually enable or disable the rule. I tried this, but again, it only reads "shutting down..." instead of "ready" or "active".

Trash Can

Reaction score
I looked at the help section as you suggested. It says that all you have to do to enable or disable a manual trigger is to press the icon next to the rule to manually enable or disable the rule. I tried this, but again, it only reads "shutting down..." instead of "ready" or "active".

If it's greyed out and says "touch icon to enable", that SA is shut down. "Ready" means the SA is enabled but awaiting a trigger to become active. "Active" means that SA is doing what you told it to do right now - it's trigger(s) have been met.

OP
J

Jakewj

Reaction score
Once she shuts it down, it will remain disabled until she re-enables it again. She won't have to turn it off everyday - just use as needed.

Ok, thank you. A quick test on my phone suggests this should work. I'll have her try it on her phone tomorrow if possible. Just seems sort of redundant I guess. Thank you for the reply!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Ok, thank you. A quick test on my phone suggests this should work. I'll have her try it on her phone tomorrow if possible. Just seems sort of redundant I guess. Thank you for the reply!

Further clarification...if the icon has a Blue halo or backlight on it, it is active, meaning in her case it means the phone is silenced and incoming calls will get a text message. Otherwise it is disabled and shows "Touch icon to enable" below and the word "Manual" in a gray block to the right. Ready only shows for Smart Actions that have triggers defined. In your case, since the Smart Action has no triggers, it will only show either Active or "Touch icon to enable". You can also pull down the Status bar from the home screen and it will tell you what Smart Action(s) is/are active. Further proof that the action is active would be to check the phone's ringer setting by hitting the Menu button (three lines at the bottom left), then Settings, Sound, and Volume. ;)