Problem with smart action

eric.scheman

Reaction score
I like the smart actions but the most important one wont even work. I set up a new smart action and made the trigger location (my house) then i want to put the action for wifi off but wifi is grayed out andf i can't select it. Is anyone else having this problem?

VandalDROID

Reaction score
I like the smart actions but the most important one wont even work. I set up a new smart action and made the trigger location (my house) then i want to put the action for wifi off but wifi is grayed out andf i can't select it. Is anyone else having this problem?

Unfortunately, location is partially determined by Wi-Fi. Therefore, Wi-Fi NEEDS to be on for any smart action to work in a specified location. Turning off Wi-Fi would not allow the location to be determined. For instance, I set up two smart actions(one to conserve battery and one that shut off my ringtone at work). Both were able to run, but i decided that Wi-Fi was using too much juice so i adjusted the first smart action to turn off Wi-Fi. Immediately after making this change, the smart action for work said "error" and upon inspection it told me the location was not able to be determined.

So, im sorry but in your particular case, you cannot shut down Wi-Fi!!!!

OP
E

eric.scheman

Reaction score
See i want it to turn on when i get to my house. That's kind of besides the point. Even if i have my GPS enabled, wifi still has to be enabled to do a smart action?

Agrajag

Reaction score
I'm having an issue in that it seems that once a rule expires there's no undo.... For example, I thought I hit the jackpot last night. I sent up a rule for my house where, once I'm home between 5pm-10am Mon-Fri, turn the GPS off, turn Bluetooth off and disable cellular data (still not 100% sure how that impacts calls/texts) but suddenly the phone just lasted and lasted and lasted. It was like the Energizer Bunny. Then 10am came and the rule turned off but nothing changed. Am I going to have to now create a counter-rule for all the other times on what the normal state of affairs should be? In other words, 10am-5pm Mon-Fri (or is it Tue-Sat?) that turns everything back on?

I was also thinking it'd be wickedly cool to have an action that could use the text-to-speech engine to pass a spoken message like, "Welcome Home" when I got there, etc.

Someone should have a much better, more robust version of this but I'm not seeing it yet. I'd like to do OR cases like when I'm at home or when I'm at some other location then do this. Plus things like Not cases.

OP
E

eric.scheman

Reaction score
I'm having an issue in that it seems that once a rule expires there's no undo.... For example, I thought I hit the jackpot last night. I sent up a rule for my house where, once I'm home between 5pm-10am Mon-Fri, turn the GPS off, turn Bluetooth off and disable cellular data (still not 100% sure how that impacts calls/texts) but suddenly the phone just lasted and lasted and lasted. It was like the Energizer Bunny. Then 10am came and the rule turned off but nothing changed. Am I going to have to now create a counter-rule for all the other times on what the normal state of affairs should be? In other words, 10am-5pm Mon-Fri (or is it Tue-Sat?) that turns everything back on?

I was also thinking it'd be wickedly cool to have an action that could use the text-to-speech engine to pass a spoken message like, "Welcome Home" when I got there, etc.

Someone should have a much better, more robust version of this but I'm not seeing it yet. I'd like to do OR cases like when I'm at home or when I'm at some other location then do this. Plus things like Not cases.

Yea you'll have to put a smart action on to counter-act and to turn them back on I believe from what I have experienced

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

JHOOPS2

Reaction score
I have mine set up so that when I am in range of my home or work Wi-Fi (as the trigger) my Bluetooth and GPS turn off. I call this my Car mode because there is about a 99% chance that if I am not home or at work then I am in my car. This was the bassackwards way I found to have the GPS and Bluetooth come on when I am in my car. Of course, they are also active when I am anywhere but home, but that is a trade off. I will sort that out later on. Battery seems to last quite a while now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Last edited:

VandalDROID

Reaction score
Location and Wi-Fi

See i want it to turn on when i get to my house. That's kind of besides the point. Even if i have my GPS enabled, wifi still has to be enabled to do a smart action?

Yes, but only smart actions that involve locations. As i mention above with the example of work and battery saver, i get an error message when i turn off the Wi-Fi manually when these two smart actions are running. If you click the bubble, a notification will pop up that says Location and Wi-Fi.

"Wi-Fi must be ON for the Location trigger to accurately detect where you are located "