Can Smart Actions be used to reboot the phone automatically?

Reaction score
I'd like my phone to be scheduled to reboot automatically based on specific conditions. Is there any way to get Smart Actions to do this?

I realize there are other apps out there that can schedule reboots, but I'd prefer to use the built-in Smart Actions if possible because it's already running on the system and I want to add specific triggers/conditions.

One idea I had was to find an app that would act as a one-touch reboot, and then set a Smart Action to launch that app, but I can't find any app that reboots the phone just by launching it.

I'm open to more ideas if you guys have any.

Thanks.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I'd like my phone to be scheduled to reboot automatically based on specific conditions. Is there any way to get Smart Actions to do this?

I realize there are other apps out there that can schedule reboots, but I'd prefer to use the built-in Smart Actions if possible because it's already running on the system and I want to add specific triggers/conditions.

One idea I had was to find an app that would act as a one-touch reboot, and then set a Smart Action to launch that app, but I can't find any app that reboots the phone just by launching it.

Thanks.

Working on a solution but don't have any yet. I have found apps that do create a desktop shortcut or widget which can reboot with one touch but Smart Actions can't call desktop shortcuts or widgets. Every solution I did find requires Root and I am rooted.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Locale can launch a shortcut based on condititions. Believe Tasker can, also, with additional triggers such as apps running. Actually not a bad idea....may schedule my phone to do that early each morning before my alarm goes off.

Not really sure why you want to do this, though. If you're phone locks-up, I doubt this will work and you'll need to do a battery pull.

OP
V
Reaction score
At first, I thought it would just help my phone run better and help eliminate buildup of running tasks/services if I had it reboot every day or so. Doing this automatically while I was sleeping would be helpful. Smart actions would check to make sure the phone wasn't being used and that it was charging before rebooting.

I have a buddy on Facebook who has created a few live wallpapers for Android, so I asked him if he was able to make a really simple app that would just restart the phone when you launched it. No reply yet, though.

Also, I have a Droid RAZR, which has no removable battery... so a battery pull is not possible. I've asked Verizon reps how I'm supposed to cut the power to the device if it locks up. Most of them say they've never had any problem with it locking up (as if that's supposed to help me feel better), and I've heard that you hold the power button and a volume button or something and that's supposed to reset it. I just tried it. It doesn't seem to work. Also, that still sounds like a soft reset, and not something that cuts power to the device. Anyway, I think this topic is for another thread.

About Locale and Tasker... I do know that those apps are powerful and can do a lot more than Smart Actions, but they're not free, and as I mentioned in my original post, I'd like to try to specifically find a way to use Smart Actions for this.

I'm gonna go message that FB friend again...

gling

Reaction score
" and I've heard that you hold the power button and a volume button or something and that's supposed to reset it. I just tried it. It doesn't seem to work. Also, that still sounds like a soft reset, and not something that cuts power to the device. Anyway, I think this topic is for another thread".

If you hold power+volume down for approx 10 seconds, it will reboot the phone.

OP
V
Reaction score
" and I've heard that you hold the power button and a volume button or something and that's supposed to reset it. I just tried it. It doesn't seem to work. Also, that still sounds like a soft reset, and not something that cuts power to the device. Anyway, I think this topic is for another thread".

If you hold power+volume down for approx 10 seconds, it will reboot the phone.

Okay. Thanks. That does work. I guess I just wasn't holding it down long enough, or perhaps I need to make sure I press them both at the exact same time. Still, let's hope it still functions if the phone locks up. However, after some thinking, I realized that it probably would work. My Xbox 360 freezes up during games sometimes, so I hold down the power button to force a shutdown. Same goes with modern PCs.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

Thanks.

Although Smart Actions can't call a home screen shortcut or a widget, it can call an app. Unfortunately I can't find an app that works simply as an app to reboot on one touch, however there is an app called Quick Boot that requires Root Access, but it does a FULL REBOOT in a one-touch widget as one of its options by;
  1. Pressing and holding a blank part of the screen,
  2. Selecting "Shortcuts",
  3. Selecting "App actions",
  4. Selecting "Activities",
  5. Choosing "Quick Boot",
  6. Selecting "Reboot" from the drop-down.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Found the one mentioned below, and two more...

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.jakar.rebootwidget&feature=search_result

&

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.schreinerDev.rebootwidget&feature=search_result

There may be others but both of these do exactly one thing...shut down and restart the phone with no other functionality and with only one press of the home screen widget...no prompts, just a pause of a few seconds, and then blank screen followed by a complete cold reboot.

Also https://market.android.com/details?id=com.antweb.silentboot&feature=search_result works to silence the reboot sounds, so it can be completely in the background whether a scheduled, triggered, or manually activated reboot, the phone will not make the DROIIIIIDDDD sound.

OP
V
Reaction score
Although Smart Actions can't call a home screen shortcut or a widget, it can call an app. Unfortunately I can't find an app that works simply as an app to reboot on one touch, however there is an app called Quick Boot that requires Root Access, but it does a FULL REBOOT in a one-touch widget as one of its options by;
  1. Pressing and holding a blank part of the screen,
  2. Selecting "Shortcuts",
  3. Selecting "App actions",
  4. Selecting "Activities",
  5. Choosing "Quick Boot",
  6. Selecting "Reboot" from the drop-down.

I already have and use that app. It's great for when I want a fast manual reboot, but it doesn't help me with my original question.

Found the one mentioned below, and two more...

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.jakar.rebootwidget&feature=search_result

&

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.schreinerDev.rebootwidget&feature=search_result

There may be others but both of these do exactly one thing...shut down and restart the phone with no other functionality and with only one press of the home screen widget...no prompts, just a pause of a few seconds, and then blank screen followed by a complete cold reboot.

Also https://market.android.com/details?id=com.antweb.silentboot&feature=search_result works to silence the reboot sounds, so it can be completely in the background whether a scheduled, triggered, or manually activated reboot, the phone will not make the DROIIIIIDDDD sound.

Smart Actions cannot launch a widget. It can only launch an app. Thus, reboot widgets do not help.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Smart Actions cannot launch a widget. It can only launch an app. Thus, reboot widgets do not help.

Yes, I said that in the beginning of the message you quoted above. I would certainly like to see it be able to launch both widgets and shortcuts. Hopefully they will add that feature in a future update.

OP
V
Reaction score
Yes, I said that in the beginning of the message you quoted above.

Ah, I thought that was someone else. I didn't look at the name. At any rate, if you know Smart Actions can't launch widgets... then why bring up the rebooting widgets? Just curious.

My 'friend' still hasn't responded to my message on FB. I'm not sure why. I know he's online because he "Likes" and comments on some of my posts...

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
q
Ah, I thought that was someone else. I didn't look at the name. At any rate, if you know Smart Actions can't launch widgets... then why bring up the rebooting widgets? Just curious.

My 'friend' still hasn't responded to my message on FB. I'm not sure why. I know he's online because he "Likes" and comments on some of my posts...

Because the way I read your original message led me to believe you couldn't find any method that allowed a reboot with only a single touch. I did realize it didn't satisfy your ultimate objective but felt you might still appreciate and gain benefit from the suggested apps. Edit; and as the post below suggests perhaps someone else would also appreciate and benefit from it as well. Sorry if I created confusion.

There may still be some benefit for you by reading the description of one of the tools mentioned since the developer describes what command his app uses to effect the reboot.

Last edited:

SANhacker

Reaction score
Subscribed.
If this can be done via widget it is clear there exists a command that causes a reboot.
I just wish I was smart enough to know how to execute this command in an app. :blink:

OP
V
Reaction score
My buddy who is an Android developer worked on this for me. Apparently he had lots of trouble and it seems like it was one of the most frustrating things he's ever tried to do, even though it seems like an awfully simple application.

However, he was successful in creating a custom application for me that reboots my phone as soon as it is launched (well, technically it takes a couple of seconds, but no additional action is required). I can set Smart Actions to launch this app when certain conditions are met and my phone will reboot. (There were some issues at first with the phone rebooting every 5 minutes or so, but that's because the Timeframe has to be set with the end time 1 minute later than the start time. If they are the same, I guess the phone assumes it should be active for 24 hours or something.

I would share the app he gave me but it's a personalized version. I'm going to encourage him to put the app on the market, though. I think there are people out there that would really appreciate it.

2THEXTRM

Reaction score
I restart my phone every morning to keep it running lag free. Would be real timesaver to have it restart same time every morning just before I get up.

I say convince him to put this app on the market;)

Sent from my VTAB1008 using DroidForums