Skype wifi not working??

DoubleTapp89

Reaction score
I installed Skype Mobile on my Droid and noticed that the Wifi feature is not working. Also people have been leaving comments about the Wifi not working on the android marketplace. I live in a place where there is low signal and I have Wifi enabled in my home. I have a land-line but I thought this would be a great alternative to talk to my Friends and family using my Droid. But I was wrong. Can someone explain to me why???

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Skype mobile uses the Verizon Wireless voice network for the wireless connection of the Skype-to-Skype calls....Not Wifi.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Basically Verizon is afraid that you'll stop using your minutes and decrease the amount of minutes you buy per month - so they try to prevent any form of wifi calling on their phones.

Check out Fring on the market. I haven't had a lot of success with it but when it works, you can make calls with skype. I have the unlimited usa calling with skype and it worked well when it worked. lol.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Using the Skype app on the market - you're basically calling an 1800 number that Skype set up for Verizon users. That doesn't use your minutes AS LONG AS the person you are calling is a PC Skype user. Otherwise, yep, it uses your minutes.

Fring actually uses 3G or WiFi to make the call through Skype like Skype should be doing but doesn't because Verizon wants to make more $$$.

lffisher

Reaction score
how can I use fring to video call a PC?

I set up fring on my Droid and after a bit of aggravation, finally got the Google Talk add-on to load in my contacts. I can text, and audio call, a friend's laptop.

Is there a way to force fring to use Wifi if both the Verizon and Wifi connections are active? I couldn't even tell which interface it was using. I did verify that if I put it in airplane mode that everything still worked over wifi, but I want to use wifi when the Verizon connection is still active.

But I digress, the real issue is HOW can I make a video call to a PC? I tried to use the GTalk add-on but it says the feature is not supported.

Is there another add-on that will work?

(I know I can fring to another cell phone and video call, but how do I do that to a laptop since a regular PC doesn't have fring)

Thanks!

rjsurfer

Reaction score
Just got an email the other day saying Skype will no longer work with Fring !!!, not that it ever worked all that great to begin with.

Skype shut them down.

Ron W.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Skype is really upsetting me. But more than that, Verizon is really pissing me off. I use Skype a lot (international friends). I am so tempted to get an iPhone just to use Skype and other international texting/calling apps that work for the iPhone but don't on Android because Verizon won't let them....

GrillMouster

Reaction score
Skype-to-skype calls are free with the Skype app; it doesn't use your minutes. Therefore, what does it matter that it's not using Wifi? Wouldn't the audio quality be worse using wifi? Also, using the Verizon voice network instead of wifi makes it more convenient to use the Skype app.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Exactly, why use Skype if I can use my cellphone? That's the whole point of Skype - to use a telephone based service when you don't use your cellphone. I'm going overseas on vacation and guess what, unlike the iPhone and certain Blackberry devices, I can't use my paid Skype account with my Motorola Droid on WiFi. That's complete BS.

Also at home I have 1-2 bars of reception. I use Skype/Vonage at home as my primary numbers. (Work/college = full reception).

Also, the Skype app doesn't reliably receive calls - and it just doesn't for a call in number. Pathetic!

lffisher

Reaction score
Skype using wifi IS important when traveling overseas

Fine, so 99% of the people don't care, but if you are travelingoverseas to where Verizon doesn't have service, then you could still call people on Skype if it used wifi. But alas, no...

So I installed fring and I was able to call a friend using a laptop with the GTalk add-on over wifi. But the video calling isn't supported on the Droid. Not sure how I can video call from my Droid to a laptop.

gvsteve

Reaction score
Skype-to-skype calls are free with the Skype app; it doesn't use your minutes. Therefore, what does it matter that it's not using Wifi? Wouldn't the audio quality be worse using wifi? Also, using the Verizon voice network instead of wifi makes it more convenient to use the Skype app.
Wifi Skype calls are extremely helpful for people such as myself who moved to a place with terrible Verizon reception and work inside a big steel building.

bluezdawg

Reaction score
Even though big red does not charge minutes for Skype, it is a big no-op when you are in Europe where there is no coverage.

carlos31820

Reaction score
I realize this is an old thread but I wanted to update it with relevant information. If you download Skype for Android (not the Verizon-specific Skype Mobile app), you will be able to call home using Wifi when abroad. I just returned from a trip in Honduras and was able to call home over Wifi. Honduras is a GSM country so I had no cell coverage whatsoever on my CDMA-only Droid X handset. The rate was 0.02 a minute (for calling land-lines or non-skype users). Skype to Skype is free. The Honduras rate for Verizon (if you have a global phone) is $1.99 a minute for phone calls. Skype over wifi is obviously much cheaper.

Last edited: