Skype Video Calling?

Brandon477

Reaction score
Hello. I have done some searching but no real results on this subject. Does the DInc 2 work with skype video calling? if so does it have to be connected to wifi? I am looking to get this phone for my wife. We are expecting a baby in a month and it would be nice if she could stream video to her Mother who is a few hours away. The new LTE phones are a little bulky for her and she has the original incredible so it should be an easy transition..THANKS in advance for any replies!!!

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken no android phone is capable of Skype video calling right now...only iphones can. You can call Skype to Skype, just no video right now. They said it's in the works but who knows when the video/android will be working. There are other programs that are capable of video calling, just not Skype.

OP
B

Brandon477

Reaction score
My brother has the thunderbolt and we put the skype.apk that allows video calls on it..it works pretty well. I was hoping someone has tried that on the Dinc2.

Reaction score
I guess you just gotta try it with the Dinc2, if it works with TBolt then there's a good chance it will work with other android phones.

Reaction score
This is from a Verizon support forum...looks like I was right, still no Skype video calling app. This was dated 5/25/11.

<<Our store representative provided accurate information as your phone (Dinc2) will be able to establish video chat connections once the Skype with video application is released. While the Skype with video application has not been released at the present time, you can use other third party video chat applications from the Android Market for video chat connections.

Please keep in mind that Verizon Wireless does not support third party applications and you must contact the developer for any troubleshooting if necessary. As a personal experience, I can share that Tango application will work fine with your phone for video chat connections. You can try other third party applications if this one does not meet your expectations. Again, this is just a personal recommendation based on my own personal experience and not a recommendation by Verizon Wireless.>>

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
This is from a Verizon support forum...looks like I was right, still no Skype video calling app. This was dated 5/25/11.

<<Our store representative provided accurate information as your phone (Dinc2) will be able to establish video chat connections once the Skype with video application is released. While the Skype with video application has not been released at the present time, you can use other third party video chat applications from the Android Market for video chat connections.

Please keep in mind that Verizon Wireless does not support third party applications and you must contact the developer for any troubleshooting if necessary. As a personal experience, I can share that Tango application will work fine with your phone for video chat connections. You can try other third party applications if this one does not meet your expectations. Again, this is just a personal recommendation based on my own personal experience and not a recommendation by Verizon Wireless.>>

What exactly does the Skype app on my phone do then if its not video chat?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Xerrus

Reaction score
Basically you can just do text based chatting on their preinstalled Skype app.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

anguish

Reaction score
Preinstalled app is just about useless. At least with the Skype app in the market you can do voice calls over 3G now. That is handy and has saved me a few times.

Mike0

Reaction score
I have the Droid Incredible 2 and I beleive Skype isnt compatible with video chat as of yet. The app I use is called Tango..it's pretty good..sometimes the audio sucks though.

OP
B

Brandon477

Reaction score
I was able to get qik to work on her Inc 1 so I think I'll give that try. I'll report back

MaverickH1

Reaction score
Yeah, I work in R&D and we were looking at using a Skype compatible device to broadcast to other engineers within our international company, the boss was going to buy us all iPod Touches. I whipped out my Incredible 2 (that I bought 3 days prior with no knowledge of how smartphones really work) and said "this thing's got Skype on it!".

Well, he gave me a list of things to buy and told me to be the guinea pig to see how useful it was. So, I got to crawl back into his office and explain why the Skype app that is preloaded on this phone is a joke and why I can't do what needs to be done.

Kind of embarassing. I'll be watching this thread, waiting for Skype to work on these things...

MaverickH1

Reaction score
OP
B

Brandon477

Reaction score
I saw that also.. I thought it meant the Incredible 1. Im thinking of going to the store and trying it on a demo version