Since 2.2 update broswer opens on last site visited

kabal22

Reaction score
My Droid Incredible just updated to 2.2 today.

Since that update my Web Broswer will not open on the home page, it opens on whatever page I was last on.

Before someone says it's still running in the background, I kill it with advanced task killer. When I reopen it it takes a second to load like when it's being opened so I know it's closing and not just staying running.

I can't find anything in settings that is causing this, and my homepage is set correctly. Why would there even be a homepage setting if it was intended to do this.

Anyone else experiencing this, and/or have a suggestion for a solution?

Reaction score
That happened on my moto droid 2.2 I dont have 2.2 on my incredible yet but what i did was went into the windows page and just deleted that page it went back to google it happened a couple of times but then it stopped after I deleted th window a few times

OP
K

kabal22

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by "went into the windows page and just deleted that page".

I can delete the page from history but it doesn't change the page I am on.

Reaction score
Before someone says it's still running in the background, I kill it with advanced task killer. When I reopen it it takes a second to load like when it's being opened so I know it's closing and not just staying running.

Hmm so you are closing the app with task killer thus having android reopen the app in the background to put it back where it was?

OP
K

kabal22

Reaction score
I don't think it's actually reopening it by itself. The next time I click on the browser it opens to a blank screen and takes a few seconds to get to the page (like it's opening the program from nothing).

It just always goes to the last darn page I was on instead of the home page. I tried clearing cashe and cookies and history to no avail.

I even cleared the data on the app itself, which deleted all my bookmarks and saved passwords :( but still didn't fix the glitch.

Smokadime

Reaction score
I don't think it's actually reopening it by itself. The next time I click on the browser it opens to a blank screen and takes a few seconds to get to the page (like it's opening the program from nothing).

It just always goes to the last darn page I was on instead of the home page. I tried clearing cashe and cookies and history to no avail.

I even cleared the data on the app itself, which deleted all my bookmarks and saved passwords :( but still didn't fix the glitch.

I'm having the same exact problem, plus a big handful of others. This 2.2 "upgrade" is ****.

Reaction score

yes it is reopening them as that is how android works. its doesnt close the apps until it needs the resources for new apps running. normally when an app goes idle it uses no cpu power and almost no memory (ram).

so when you go and run your task killer and close and app, android knows the app is supposed to be where it left it so it reopens the app and idles it where its supposed to be. really all you are doing is wasting battery having the phone do work thats not needed.

what you see when the browser opens is it reloading the page that you were on before. I'm so used to using dolphin browser that i just close the tab(s) i was using before i go to the home screen

turf

Reaction score
This really seems like a very basic question and I have the same issue. WHEN I OPEN THE INTERNET AFTER CLOSING IT I DON'T WANT THE LAST PAGE I WANT THE HOME PAGE
Nor do I want to click around to get back to the homepage... that's just stupid.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Only solution is to book mark your home page, and make a short cut on your desk top. Your browser will always open the last page you were on. It is set up that way, because if you were surfing and got a text message, phone call, etc (anything that would temporarily take you away from your browser), you would have millions of people screaming because they dont know why they browser always goes back to their home page.
Long press on your homescreen
shortcuts
bookmark
google

turf

Reaction score
Thank you... simple, direct and it made sense.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
That, and task killers don't work anymore, man. Get Froyo Task Killer and force close apps

OP
K

kabal22

Reaction score
There are a lot of possible workarounds. But they don't correct the basic problem that is happening.

Before the update. I could close the internet browser. It was not showing as a running process. When I reopened it, it went to the homepage I had saved.

After the update. I close internet browser and it is not showing as a running process. When I reopen it, it goes to where I just was, NOT the home page.

I am doing the same process and it is not working as intended. I don't buy an argument that suggests even though every appearance is that the browser has been closed (including it appearing to open and load the page from scratch when I go back into it) that it is actually still running.

This is clearly a glitch in the update...

Ontherocks

Reaction score
This is a glitch and also a security issue. I have moved from my incredible to the dx because of this. Only happened after the update to 2.2. Spoke with htc and they were unaware of the problem and after 30 minutes with them they were not able to fix it. I was able to log on to my banks web site, close the browser and open that page right back up. This did not happen before the update and does not happen on my dx. My dx always opens the home page. 3 incredibles all have the same issue.