SIM Card Capabilities

erweinstein

Reaction score
So the Droid 4 has a SIM Card slot. Well, I'm about to be going to New Zealand for a few months and was wondering if I could use the Droid 4 there with a local SIM card. Of course, I would have to get the phone unlocked (which I've heard sometimes works no problem when calling and sometimes is near impossible). If I were to get the phone unlocked, could I pop in a local SIM card and use the phone?

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
good question I'm not sure of the world phone?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

bjorn65

Reaction score
It will not work Verizon has locked down the GSM part of all Ltd phones. It will not recognized the sim. To unlock the phone will not make a difference unless you have firmware to allow the GSM antenna to work. Tried the same thing in the UK in November did not work. Also the argument being made that it a Ltd sim makes no sense, for att lte phones can be unlocked and use micro Sims anywhere in the world but not Verizon.

silver6054

Reaction score
The claim on xda is that the rezound is in fact mainly global (it has issues with either sending or receiving texts, can't remember which,but can make/receive calls and works with data)

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

bjorn65

Reaction score
The claim on xda is that the rezound is in fact mainly global (it has issues with either sending or receiving texts, can't remember which,but can make/receive calls and works with data)

I was in England had no signal, in Korea had 1x data and voice (it is CD ma) and in Thailand had voice and could receive text. However in Australia I had nothing but wifi. No signal so unless the Verizon sim is able or program to pick up GSM, how is any of their lte phones capable of doing anything in a GSM area. Australia has lte and GSM and my phone became a camera and a PDA.

silver6054

Reaction score
The person reporting this used a local sim. (T mobile UK) he wasn't asked for an unlock code so it is all strange but others have confirmed

bjorn65

Reaction score
The person reporting this used a local sim. (T mobile UK) he wasn't asked for an unlock code so it is all strange but others have confirmed

OK make sense.

zertsman

Reaction score
i read an article somewhere that untill LTE towers are put up in other countries, it will not be a global phone. that article seemed to say that would happen over many years.

the verizon person told me it was a sim card but not GSM.. it is an LTE sim card. totally differnt radio supposidly.

B-Unit

Reaction score
Rumor has it that there is GSM hardware in D4, but at this time the software to power it up is absent.

MidnightLight

Reaction score
Apparently a Verizon spokesperson (Brenda Raney) has confirmed that they're working on enabling GSM roaming in the Droid 4 and LG Spectrum, but this is still pending "network enhancements". Supposedly it's targeted to be made available within the first half of this year, presumably via software update.

LG Spectrum and Motorola DROID 4 have global roaming capabilities, will be enabled later this year | PhoneDog

If all Verizon 4G LTE phones from now on will have GSM roaming, this will really change the game in terms of removing a major annoyance of being with Verizon.

rweb

Reaction score
If I understand it right' this kind of update was just released on the xyboard tablets.
_If_ the Droid 4 has a GSM radio, the update could come quite soon. At least there is hope. :)

Gesendet von meinem MZ601 mit Tapatalk

bjorn65

Reaction score
If I understand it right' this kind of update was just released on the xyboard tablets.
_If_ the Droid 4 has a GSM radio, the update could come quite soon. At least there is hope. :)

Gesendet von meinem MZ601 mit Tapatalk

But the RAZR has a GSM radio that is not enabled. Yet the rebound has a GSM radio that is never talked about but works. Verizon need to control is causing confusion.