Silly Question about memory

jsroberts

Reaction score
I realize that this is probably a silly question but I can't figure it out yet. If media has to go on a micro SD card, why in the world does the droid have 16gb? What am I supposed to fill that up with? Is there a way to use main memory for media?
Thanks,
J

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
16gb is a lot of storage space. The phone itself only has 256mb not Gigabytes of storage so I'm not sure why you'd rather store information on the device itself.

OP
J

jsroberts

Reaction score
OK so maybe here is where my confusion is lying. Can I put media on the preloaded 16gb of memory or do I need to purchase an additional microsd card as all the site tell me? Thanks for the prompt response

Bear in NM

Reaction score
JS,

The 16gig card is predominatly set up for your camera pictures, video and music. Trust me, the onboard memory will not even begin to be enough for these files with any kind of normal use. You have bear in mind that as just a phone, the card is barely needed. To fully exploit the phone, many of us are finding that 16 is barely enough. For some folks, 32 will not be enough.

And yes, you can put music, video, pictures and programs on the external card. And I am guessing that having the high capcity card is going to open a lot of possibilities for programmers, especially those who develop apps that require massive amounts of data storage, like mapping programs, or perhaps games.

Craig

Stigy

Reaction score
Your media (music/movies) goes on the 16GB microSD card included with the phone.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What on Earth are you guys filling your SD cards with that 16gb isn't enough!?!?

You can load media onto the 16gb SD card that came with your phone.... go to the Market and do a search for "file explorer" and pick one up... Android has no native explorer and it's a must have to access files on your SD card.

mjs31

Reaction score
OK so maybe here is where my confusion is lying. Can I put media on the preloaded 16gb of memory or do I need to purchase an additional microsd card as all the site tell me? Thanks for the prompt response

Yes. I think you are a little mixed up on what goes where. Your apps that you may download primarly go on internal memory. The external card holds all your music, pictures, extra ringtones, videos from camera, movies you may watch etc....and they will play fine from here. You start loading up two hour converted movies at 1.5gb plus each and it can fill up fast. By the way...it is drag and drop loading. Plug your phone into the computer, use the drop down to select "mount" and then just drag and drop all your media to and from the phone. When you unplug from the computer, your phone will recognize that you have new media and you will be able to use it right away as long as it is compatible type.

OP
J

jsroberts

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone. I think you are right 16gb probably won't be enough. Any advice for a good 32gb microsd card?

Smuuth

Reaction score
Thanks for the help everyone. I think you are right 16gb probably won't be enough. Any advice for a good 32gb microsd card?
32Gb microsd cards are not yet available.

I think you might find that 16 Gb holds quite a lot.

I currently have about 1000 songs and 50 pictures plus ringtones and other miscellaneous files on mine and still have more than 10 Gb free space.

Last edited:
OP
J

jsroberts

Reaction score
grrrr thanks. now all i need to do is find a good source of mp3 non annoying ringtone stuff and I'll be set =)

BeepBoopBoo

Reaction score
What on Earth are you guys filling your SD cards with that 16gb isn't enough!?!?

You can load media onto the 16gb SD card that came with your phone.... go to the Market and do a search for "file explorer" and pick one up... Android has no native explorer and it's a must have to access files on your SD card.

Music....I have 2 TB of music on my server at home...I generally keep aprox. 10-12 gigs on my phone and leave the rest for photos...

OP
J

jsroberts

Reaction score
That makes sense, I have a friend who was the buyer for music at a bookstore and got the same sorta deal

TomN

Reaction score
You can also get the Motorola Media Link software that will sync your iTunes playlists with your Droid. However, it won't work with the music infected with DRM, but works great with everything else.