Silent ringtone?

quantumred

Reaction score
Is there any way to set someone to a silent ringtone? I see there is a way in contacts to cause a contact to go straight to voicemail, but I don't want the contact to know that I set it that way.

I assume when I enable the "straight to voicemail" setting, the person on the other end will know something is different. I just want it to seem normal for them. I want it to seem to ring for them, and then go to voicemail, but I don't want to hear (or see) anything on my end.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to set someone to a silent ringtone? I see there is a way in contacts to cause a contact to go straight to voicemail, but I don't want the contact to know that I set it that way.

I assume when I enable the "straight to voicemail" setting, the person on the other end will know something is different. I just want it to seem normal for them. I want it to seem to ring for them, and then go to voicemail, but I don't want to hear (or see) anything on my end.

I don't see anyway possible to do this. This I believe would have to be done manually.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
You could make a ring-tone with nothing in the recording and put it as their individual ring-tone though, that should be easy. That way when they call you don't hear anything, but when anyone else calls it will ring normally.

OP
Q

quantumred

Reaction score
You could make a ring-tone with nothing in the recording and put it as their individual ring-tone though, that should be easy. That way when they call you don't hear anything, but when anyone else calls it will ring normally.

Yeah, I thought of that. Seems like a hack, but maybe I'll give it a try.

@dfalcon217, yes, I don't want to hear when they call, but I also don't want them to know that I have them set to "straight to voicemail". I assume with that option on, the caller will be able to know, because it goes to voice mail right away, rather than ring for a while first.

droidweb

Reaction score
Use Google Voice

If you have a google voice account you can set which of your phone rings when someone calls you. Set none of your phones to ring and you shouldn't be notified when they call...

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Better yet, if you have GV you have these options which I find very useful:

http://www.google.com/support/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=115089
Privacy and Security: Blocking unwanted calls

If you want to stop getting unwanted calls, you can choose to send the caller directly to voicemail, treat all calls from a particular number as spam, or block the caller. Simply go to the Contacts list and select the checkbox next to your contact's name. Click Edit Google Voice Settings and select the second radio button under the 'When this contact calls you:' section, next to the drop-down menu. Choose one of these options from the drop-down menu:

• Send to Voicemail: The caller will hear ringing and then be prompted to leave you a voicemail message. None of your phones will ring.
  • Treat as Spam: The caller will hear ringing and then be prompted to leave you a voicemail message. None of your phones will ring. The voicemail will be automatically marked in your inbox as Spam, and you won't receive a notification for the voicemail.
  • Block Caller: The caller will hear a 'Number not in service' message when calling your Google number. None of your phones will ring. The call will be marked as 'Blocked' under 'History' and 'Missed.'

Last edited:

bassman1547

Reaction score
Silent Ringtone. Huh?? :icon_eek:
Silent = No sound
Ringtone = sound
you want to silence your phone so it doesn't ring? Is that what you mean?:)