Silent Mode

diesel_lv

Reaction score
I just changed from AT&T with an unlocked Omnia. My Omnia had the ability to turn it screen down and it would turn off the ringer and vibrate. Turn it screen up and they would function again. Can this be done with the Droid?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
there is a silent function within the droid. though i am sorry i don't understand what your explaining. you can still have it vibrate while in silent mode.

OP
D

diesel_lv

Reaction score
On the Omnia its called business mode. Say you forget to turn off your phone ringer before a meeting. During the meeting you remember. You just lay your phone down on the tabel/desk screen down. This will turn the ringer and vibe off while face down. As soon as you pic up the phone, it will allow the ringer and vibe to function again.

missegg

Reaction score
I remember seeing an app for that on Androlib, but I can't remember the name or anything, I just remember thinking, oh that's kinda neat.

jbjtkbw00

Reaction score
I just got my dock from FedEx. When the phone is placed in there, you get an icon to dim the display and put it in a night mode. I'm trying it now to see if it actually does silent the phone.

As for otherwise, there is a vibrate mode that comes on right before silent as you turn the volume down. I'm going to keep playing with it and post anything else I may find. (Feels like freaking Christmas as a kid!!!)

EDIT: Just sent myself a test email from the computer. Nope, just dims the phone but doesn't silent notifications. That sucks. Hope this is fixed in an update. I'll give that Turn Silent a try.

Last edited:

Droider

Reaction score
In the app Market, try "Off the Hook" by Lemmsoft. You can supposedly set it so that when the phone is face down the notifications are totally silent but calls still ring...or some similar variation.

There's also SEVERAL other market apps. Try searching keywords: face down

Trip

Reaction score
If you get the "Beautiful Widgets" from the market place (others have this too I'm sure) there are widgets for silent mode and vibrate among others, then you just hit those widgets before you put it in the cradle.

I agree though that the night mode in the media cradle SHOULD put it in silent mode automatically. I have one on my bed side stand, I use my droid as my new alarm clock and hoped that that would be the case, but oh well, I need to make it quiet before I put it in the stand anyway...if my wife goes to bed before I do and I put that thing in the cradle and it yells "DROID" she might just throw it against a wall lol ;).

inigomntoya

Reaction score
I was also looking for an app that would do what the HTC's seem to do right out of the box.

I just installed Off The Hook. It seems to work really well. Make sure you put it on your ignore list if you use TasKiller.