Silence camera sounds?

pm1066

Reaction score
Toycam is completely silent. Not top quality, but works.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Keep it OT please....

No one cares why anyone wants it silent......

Well at least not in an open forum.

mhuff29

Reaction score
I found an app called "Retro Camera" and everything is silent but it has its own drawbacks. The field of view is much smaller and there a few different choices of old cameras to use to get it back in color.

Elkay

Reaction score
I was at a wedding 2 days after the X came out and I wanted to take a ton of pictures but I had to be extremely reserved because of the focus beeps. Really sucked. I've also searched high and low for the beep sound but haven't had any luck. The camera click silences with the phone on vibrate so I'm not worried about that. I would almost call this a "bug" that Motorola needs to fix. Silent should be silent across the board.

hotprowl

Reaction score
I think the real reason it doesn't go 100% silent is to protect people. Thats why newer cameras & cell phones have the shutter or click sound. This way, some guy at the mall trying it take pics up womens skirts isn't going to get away with it as easilly as with a totally silent camera.

OP
1694kyle

1694kyle

Reaction score
I think the real reason it doesn't go 100% silent is to protect people. Thats why newer cameras & cell phones have the shutter or click sound. This way, some guy at the mall trying it take pics up womens skirts isn't going to get away with it as easilly as with a totally silent camera.

What else would you use the phone for?

Elkay

Reaction score

I use video for that, so the point is moot.

Lol jk.

OP
1694kyle

1694kyle

Reaction score
Helpful Shem from motorola

chat_agent.png
Shem: Hi, my name is Shem. How may I help you?
chat_enduser_message.png
Kyle Bonnet: yes
chat_enduser_message.png
Kyle Bonnet: How do i scilence the focus beeps on my droid x
chat_enduser_message.png
Kyle Bonnet: ...
chat_agent.png
Shem: Are you trying to get rid of the shutter tone every time you us the camera of your phone?
chat_enduser_message.png
Kyle Bonnet: yes, but not just the shutter. I want to get rid of the beeps it makes when it focuses. I've tried using it in silent mode, but that does nothing for the focus beeps
chat_agent.png
Shem: Let us see what we can do about it.
chat_enduser_message.png
Kyle Bonnet: ok
chat_agent.png
Shem: Your phone really beeps it makes when it focuses. Unfortunately, your phone has no option to change that feature.
chat_enduser_message.png
Kyle Bonnet: ghey

Hacking is the only way. And no camera apps that give you a .000008457 MP photo

Elkay

Reaction score
There is a sound file in BlurCamera.apk. Don't bother, already tried. That's not it, either. I'm hoping it's not part of the camera driver.

Elkay

Reaction score
This is going to be a bigger pain in the butt that we thought to get rid of. Looking at the source of Android's stock camera app:

android.git.kernel.org Git - platform/packages/apps/Camera.git/blob - src/com/android/camera/Camera.java

If you go down to line 1255 you'll see that the sound is being made by ToneGenerator and is not a sound file embedded as a resource in the application nor a file in the file system. After browsing the resources in BlurCamera.apk I can say that we're likely looking at the same situation here.

deranger

Reaction score

FWIW, all camera phones in Japan cannot have their shutter sounds silenced for this very reason.

Elkay

Reaction score
Alright, before I say anything else I must say (as usual) YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. If you brick your phone, it's not my fault that you decided to use this and don't say I didn't warn you.

That being said, I've attached a BlurCamera.apk app with the call to ToneGenerator during focusing removed. I had to decompile and recompile the resources, so this wasn't a simple "swap a byte" or "remove a file" hack. I haven't tested every little tiny feature, but from basic use it all seems to be working.

** You must be rooted to do this. **

To install:

First, rename BlurCamera.zip to BlurCamera.apk.

Copy the apk to your SD card with your preferred method.

Launch Root Manager. It's worth it to just buy the app if you haven't already. I grew up with DOS so I'm no stranger to command lines, but I'm not listing every single command line command to do this here. If someone else wants to list it for people to use Terminal instead, thank you.

Ensure that /system/app is mouned R/W (read/write). There's a button for it at the top right in Root Manager to toggle it.

Move /system/app/BlurCamera.apk to your SD card somewhere in /sdcard. THIS IS THE BACKUP OF YOUR ORIGINAL CAMERA APP THAT YOU WILL LIKELY NEED TO RESTORE BEFORE DOING AN OTA UPDATE. Also, don't be stupid and overwrite the one you just copied to the SD card, otherwise you're accomplishing nothing. Put it in a different directory.

Move the BlurCamera.apk file from where you put it on your SD card to /system/app.

Set permissions on BlurCamera.apk to rw-r--r--. This is User R/W, Group R, Others R. As of the current version of Root Manager this is checking the first two in row one, the first in row two and the first in row three. The rest are unchecked. Since this is standard Linux permisions, it won't likely change, but in case it does just make sure you're checking off the right ones and make sure you end up with rw-r--r-- when you are finished.

Reboot.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

cardr

Reaction score
So, I'm clueless about rooting, and don't really want to except to get rid of these camera sounds. So, my question is....if I root to do this can I unroot and the phone be the same as it was before except for the camera sounds? I've read the rooting thread and still don't really understand if I can root do what I want and unroot and it be like it is now.....

Any help for the new guy would be appreciated. Also has anyone else used Elkay's new file without the focus sound in it?

Thanks!

debdroid1a

Reaction score

FWIW, all camera phones in Japan cannot have their shutter sounds silenced for this very reason.

What if the woman is too busy chatting or texting and doesn't hear anyway... or maybe she's hard of hearing... or he's too fast for her... or

quadjacks

Reaction score

What if the woman is too busy chatting or texting and doesn't hear anyway... or maybe she's hard of hearing... or he's too fast for her... or
ROFLMBO.....Perv...lol...