SICK New Luxury Android Wear Watch From LG

SquireSCA

Silver Member
Reaction score
But if all it is really good for is voice commands... I mean, you already have that on the phone...

I guess it's that the appeal is so narrow for most...

You can't really watch movies on it or type on it. If you are in a place where you are trying to discreetly do something and don't want to pull your phone out... then you are probably also in a situation where you can't sit there talking to your watch either, like a business meeting...

If there is an alert that pushes to the phone, you will likely reach for the phone to do whatever it is you need to do anyway, that having such a limited, $200 middle man on your wrist just adds an extra layer...

I researched these things for months and I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. It looks like a cool gadget, but in the end it is so limited that I see it being counter productive in a lot of situations...

I can see that at some point the platform will mature and become more useful, but by the time that happens, all the current watches will be horribly dated and probably be sitting in a drawer collecting dust...

Doesn't seem like a platform that I want to be an early adopter on.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I like having the ability to look at my wrist & know if a notification is worth digging my phone out of my pocket. As I've shared elsewhere, I find that being able to swipe notifications away without taking my phone out actually makes me more social when I'm around people.

If I'm going to go through the effort of getting my phone out, I'm more likely to interact with notifications that I would simply swipe away on the watch & worry about later.

To each their own though.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

cerisecons

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 22 Ultra
As I'm using my Phone for the job, these smart watches may never manifest themselves into my life, I can already do the heart rate etc on the GS5...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
One of the selling features for me for the g watch, aside from the great deal I got on it, was the fact that it doesn't have a heart rate monitor. I can do the same on my Note 4, so that wasn't a big deal to me.

The only feature that it doesn't have that I kinda think would be useful is for it to have a speaker, so I could use it for speaker phone and further keep my phone in my pocket.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
But if all it is really good for is voice commands... I mean, you already have that on the phone...

I guess it's that the appeal is so narrow for most...

You can't really watch movies on it or type on it. If you are in a place where you are trying to discreetly do something and don't want to pull your phone out... then you are probably also in a situation where you can't sit there talking to your watch either, like a business meeting...

If there is an alert that pushes to the phone, you will likely reach for the phone to do whatever it is you need to do anyway, that having such a limited, $200 middle man on your wrist just adds an extra layer...

I researched these things for months and I just couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger. It looks like a cool gadget, but in the end it is so limited that I see it being counter productive in a lot of situations...

I can see that at some point the platform will mature and become more useful, but by the time that happens, all the current watches will be horribly dated and probably be sitting in a drawer collecting dust...

Doesn't seem like a platform that I want to be an early adopter on.

My S has Swift Key Flow,a much easier usage if you're already used to sliding keyboards.
It has its own phone number and my phone forwards to it if I don't answer the phone, use my Bluetooth earpiece or speakerphone independently of my phone, can send or respond to emails and texts independently of the phone plus other things such as a calculator, notes, etc that I used to need my phone to do. For that matter, as I wrote before, I can keep an eye on this forum without my phone should I choose to.
Not trying to dissuade your opinion as I was probably a bigger nay sayer than you until I got my Fit . It's not really convenient to check my pulse on my phone when cycling or kayaking and not possible to get an average rate of beats while exercising without something other than my phone without taking lots of breaks , which defeats the purpose of trying to improve my cardiovascular health.
I agree the whole thing is in its infancy but I also am old enough to know the days when the pda was considered a fad that would soon fade away , no one imagining it maturing into iPhones and Androids of today. Just imagine the awe of Windows Mobile vs what we have today. I see the smartwatch having the same potential of morphing into something we're not even imagining at this point.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, because the new one doesn't come in black. But I have a black 360 and they are in stock:

Moto 360 Black Leather - Devices on Google Play
The black 360 pre release thread got me actually looking at smartwatches. Before that I considered them all to be big square gimmicks. Then the LG R. Then I ended up going with a big rectangular one after initially buying a smaller rectangular one though I ALMOST got the 360. As a watch/notifier only I really like the round ones because they are much less low profile in that they look like a big watch, something not out of the ordinary for older folks like me that their great eyesight went away before the turn of this decade.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Noteate

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
. As I've shared elsewhere, I find that being able to swipe notifications away without taking my phone out actually makes me more social when I'm around people.

If I'm going to go through the effort of getting my phone out, I'm more likely to interact with notifications that I would simply swipe away on the watch & worry about later.

I've been wanting to comment on this. This is actually an incredible point to me because Johnny is 100% right and it never really even occurred to me until I read this post. Because of my watch I spend SIGNIFICANTLY less time futzing with my phone when I am around family/friends. How many times do you feel that vibration or hear that notification: you pull your phone out just to read that text... OK it's not urgent BUT since I DID pull my phone out and I'm staring at the text...let me just reply real quick.
When I get one now? Glance, swipe. Glance, swipe. I find most Txt messages can wait. So even though my friends are impressed that I generally reply quicker, I don't reply as often when I'm "being social". ;)

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
How many of you smartwatch owners have started to feel that "ghost vibration"? You know the one.... you feel a vibration on your wrist only to look down and realize you took your watch off hours ago. DOH!

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
How many of you smartwatch owners have started to feel that "ghost vibration"? You know the one.... you feel a vibration on your wrist only to look down and realize you took your watch off hours ago. DOH!

S5 tap'n
I've actually got the opposite. I tend to not feel it vibrate these days, most of the time.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2

/Raises hand. Happens to me once in a while. Not that my watch is off my
wrist...because it rarely ever is. But I swear I feel something and I look at the watch and it just blankly stares back "I didn't buzz you...".

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

S5 tap'n
Right up there with hearing a phone ring, almost reaching for mine until realizing the ringtone isn't the one I have set on mine. I used to get a kick out of iPhone users. One would ring, every iPhone owner in the vicinity would reach for theirs and check the screen.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I get the Phantom buzz on my left leg where I keep the phone when it's stirring next to me etc, but not the watch.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk