Shutting off/Powering off Randomly

SKEWTS

Reaction score
I have the Droid Maxx and it has shut off/powered off randomly three times already. Once, the battery was fully charged and I was not using the phone. Once the battery was at about 50-55% and I was on a social networking site and this last time I was in the middle of a phone call and the battery was at 30%. Has anyone else had this issue? The last time it shut down on me, when I started it back up it was saying it was formatting the sim card for my new phone???????? I cut it back off because it never came off that screen and when I cut it back on, it's working again.

Hersh

Reaction score
Yep, have had it shut off on me more than a few times. Not using it, using it, if it gets jarred. Usually starts right back up, but once it didn't want to restart. Finally did. Also, I keep getting cool down mode warnings more than I think I should. Was thinking about seeing if I could get a new one.

guardlights

Reaction score
Yep, have had it shut off on me more than a few times. Not using it, using it, if it gets jarred. Usually starts right back up, but once it didn't want to restart. Finally did. Also, I keep getting cool down mode warnings more than I think I should. Was thinking about seeing if I could get a new one.

Can you update us? did you get a new phone and did if fix the issue?

I am having the same issue, every couple of days, if the Maxx is in my pocket, and i take it out to text someone or make a call, and notice it is off, and I have to power it back on. When it happened yesterday, I had just had a pocket dial episode, followed by a series of pictures of the inside of my pocket. I cleared it all out, locked the phone, and then put it back in the pocket. a few minutes later, reached for the phone and it was off.

the other times, no noteworthy conditions before noticing the phone was off. but each time, it was in the pocket and locked.

My store is getting replacements tomorrow, and I am going to try and swap it out.

Hersh

Reaction score
It hadn't shut off for a while, but today it did and wouldn't restart. I happen to be out near a Verizon store, and stopped in. It wouldn't reboot for the employee, so a replacement is on the way.

Hope the new one doesn't do the same thing.

Archangel1972

Reaction score
I had the very same concerns. Have had the phone for 1 week yesterday. Last week Thursday got it no issues . Issues started on Sunday morning It shut down on me probably 9 times over 2 hours then started "cooldown" warnings and shutting off. Monday no issues, Tuesday no issues, Wed shutdown on me 4 times. Thurday ( yesterday ) I decided enough Im taking it back to Verizon I walked into the store approached one of the customer support people explained it she said ok let me see it. I had at that point gone over what was happening had showed her the phone it was on. I put it in the holster and then gave it to her when she asked it was off. ( LOL couldnt believe how lucky I was with how intermittant it was happening that it happened to her ) We took the case off ( Otterbox) and made sure nothing from the case was causing it. While the case was off it shut down in her hands.

Needless to say I have a new Maxx as of yesterday.

-Arch

donzz

Reaction score
I have had this issue on and off again for the last couple months. Last night it wouldn't turn back on. I left it alone for a couple hours then tried it again and it fired right up and has worked flawlessly ever since. I'm not sure what's going on? Anybody?

donzz

Reaction score
Welp, this morning it shut down and wouldn't start up again. Called Verizon and they are over-nighting me one. I wonder if a bad app could cause this? Frustrating, because I really like this phone.

donzz

Reaction score
I received my new Droid Maxx this morning. I thought this phone was sealed up and you couldn't open it to access the sim card or battery. Wrong! Oh, you can't easily remove the battery but the sim card is located within the volume up and down rocker. You just use your fingernail to pull out on the volume control and out comes the sim card. My new phone came without a sim card and the direction stated to remove the sim card from my old phone and put it in the new phone. Now I know. I wish I would have known that before. Oh well. The new Maxx is working excellent...for now anyway. I hope this somehow helps someone else, if you encounter the same problem I did.

JMWF

Reaction score
donzz, you have had your new Droid Maxx for over 2 months now, how is it working? Have you had any more shut down problems or anything else?

JMWF

Reaction score
I ask because I'm on my second Droid Maxx. Verizon replaced the first one because the camera wouldn't work properly (constant errors). The camera on the new one works but I'm having the shut down problems described in this thread.

ChrisMAXX

Reaction score
What kind of issues were you having with the camera? Mine has done the random reboot also a few times now...

Sent from my XT1080 using Droid Forums

doogald

Reaction score
For the first time I had my phone just lock up this morning. The display would not light, no active display. I had to press and hold power to get it to restart.

This was coincidentally a day after switching back to the stock launcher from Nova Prime. I have run Nova for a long time without any problems like that, so I'm wondering if it's the stock launcher.