Phone randomly shuts off

brucebanner77

Reaction score
I received this Maxx as a replacement about a month ago. The past week or so it has been randomly shutting off by it self. Has anyone had this problem and what was the solution? I have not performed a FDR, I'm hoping to avoid that, but if I have to then I will. I have not contacted Verizon either. I'm sure they will want me to do an FDR before sending me a another Maxx.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I feel the phone is faulty enough to warrant replacement. There are few things that would cause a shutdown short of dramatic overheating or a bad battery - battery connection.

As you pointed out, the only way to tell if hardware is at fault is the FDR.

OP
brucebanner77

brucebanner77

Reaction score
Would an app cause such a glitch?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
There are some situations where if the processor is over taxed it can lead to a freeze and shut down..boot into safety mode to eliminate software...use it like that for a while...see if it continues...

But you are correct when you say that vzw will have you do a fdr and reset up the device...and see if this continues.. It's the quickest way to determine if its hardware and if they need to send out a replacement..

OP
brucebanner77

brucebanner77

Reaction score
I stopped "into" phones with my S3, how do I boot into safe mode?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
My personal thought is that if an app was at fault, (which still may be), you would be seeing other issues, (you didn't mention), like some sort of other weirdness when it was operational. I would also think the phone would be more likely to randomly restart rather than shut down.

Anything is possible.

OP
brucebanner77

brucebanner77

Reaction score
No, just shuts off, no restart. When it's on, it works as expected.

OP
brucebanner77

brucebanner77

Reaction score
There are some situations where if the processor is over taxed it can lead to a freeze and shut down..boot into safety mode to eliminate software...use it like that for a while...see if it continues...

But you are correct when you say that vzw will have you do a fdr and reset up the device...and see if this continues.. It's the quickest way to determine if its hardware and if they need to send out a replacement..

Can't get my phone to boot into safe mode. When you turn the phone on, you hold both volume keys until it has fully loaded, correct?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Restart the Device in Safe Mode DROID Mini / DROID Ultra / DROID Maxx by Motorola | Verizon Wireless

Restart the Device in Safe Mode - DROID Mini / DROID Ultra / DROID Maxx by Motorola

[Device-Specific Instructions]

Safe Mode puts your phone in a diagnostic state (returned to default settings) so you can determine if a third party app is causing your device to freeze/reset/run slow.

An alternate method is available if the device is unresponsive or won't power on.

Press and momentarily hold the Power button (located on the right edge, above the volume buttons) until options menu appears then release.

Touch and hold Power off until the 'Reboot to safe mode' screen appears.

From the Reboot to safe mode screen, tap OK.

Allow up to a minute for the device to reboot.

Notes:

With Safe Mode enabled, test device and app functionality. If the previous issue fails to occur, the cause has been isolated to a third-party app and all recently installed or updated apps should be uninstalled. Power cycle the device to disable Safe Mode, reinstall then test each app, one at a time, to identify which is causing the problem.

OP
brucebanner77

brucebanner77

Reaction score
I put it in safe mode yesterday and it didn't shut off. I turned safe mode off and within in an hour it shut off.

Has any one read any where about certain apps causing phones to shut off? It's going to be a pain trying to isolate the bad app.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I put it in safe mode yesterday and it didn't shut off. I turned safe mode off and within in an hour it shut off.

Has any one read any where about certain apps causing phones to shut off? It's going to be a pain trying to isolate the bad app.

Any app can potentially be the cause. It can also be a combination of apps as well. There are various reasons why the phone may shut itself off, some are due to errors in coding or bugs, some are due to potentially overheating, some maybe due to a disruption in the phones metering for battery levels where it believes it's close to being depleted in power.

The best way to isolate the offending app or apps is to start with a clean slate and simply add your most frequently used apps one at a time and run them for a while to see if you have the undesirable effect of it shutting down again.

fed123

Reaction score
Any app can potentially be the cause. It can also be a combination of apps as well. There are various reasons why the phone may shut itself off, some are due to errors in coding or bugs, some are due to potentially overheating, some maybe due to a disruption in the phones metering for battery levels where it believes it's close to being depleted in power.

The best way to isolate the offending app or apps is to start with a clean slate and simply add your most frequently used apps one at a time and run them for a while to see if you have the undesirable effect of it shutting down again.
I was using 3G and the phone would shut down whenever it was in a low signal zone. Started using 4G and the shutdowns stopped. Has it ever shut down on Wi-Fi?

rosariorose9

Reaction score
I have a variant of the OP's problem. My Maxx occasionally, and for no apparent reason, reboots. My guess is that it's a third party app with a memory leak. It's a pain in the behind, but not enough of one to motivate me to do an FDR...