Show clock without even activating screen. Possible?

Jurje

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3
Hello everyone.

First of all I'd like to state that I'm a massive noob on this forum, so if I'm being stupid for not finding a thread about this subject yet, please refer me to it. My apologies.

I've recently bought my LG G3 like 2 months ago. Now, I'm the type of person that likes perfection, so I've already tweaked my phone to the max (without 'hacking' into the system though), for as far as I'm concerned.
I was wondering if any of you know an app or trick to always show a digital clock on the screen, even when it's locked (untouched). I've read on forums that a lot of people complain about battery draining owing to the latter. Though I'm searching for just a tiny, dimmed clock on top of my screen so I can always look up the time without even tapping the screen. My logics tell me that those few pixels used will never really benefit to massive battery draining, and even if it would, I'm still curious whether it's possible yes or no.

I've tried the NoLED app. But like most apps, this is just another Daydream tweaker, which obviously is not what I'm looking for.

So in conclusion, I'm looking for a tiny little clock destined for the top of my screen, always visible, dimmed (to save battery life), not in the way Daydream does (since this leaves the entire screen on [draining more battery life than my idea IMO]).

Anyone know a trick, app or tweak to achieve this?

Thanks in advance!!

Jurjen

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Welcome to the forum Jurjen!
Hang in there and hopefully one of our many knowledgeable members can provide an app suggestion for you. Good luck!

S5 tap'n

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Welcome to the Forum.

I do not see that option on my G3, but different carriers have different options available.
Go to Settings > Lock Screen and check the options available.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Check out Clock View by Kimscom on the Play Store
Hope that helps

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

tommyg562000

Reaction score
Go get a X or a turbo if this is what you want. That is the only solution.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Unfortunately I don't think you're going to find one that doesn't utilize the whole screen, regardless of what part of the screen it uses. It would have to turn the whole screen on just to perform that action. (Which in turn would be a huge drain on the battery) I did a search of "lock screen clock" in the Play Store and there are quite a few apps available. You'll just have to search through them to find the one that works for you. Good luck!

S5 tap'n

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
The Turbo does what you want it to do, but then you'd have to spend a lot of money on another phone and tweek the new phone, plus the Turbo won't do everything your current phone does, so you'll have to install an aftermarket launcher...

You see where I'm going, right? No phone is perfect. If there's not a Play app that will do what you want, then unfortunately there's no way for your G3 to do it.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
App called acdisplay will bring moto active notifications and clock to any android phone.

I don't see where this can remain "on" all the time, only where it will "wake" the phone with sensors. So it still doesn't do what Active Display (AKA Moto Display) does.

In other words, this is a "lock screen" active display feature. Active Display on Motorola phones is a "Sleep Screen" active display feature. In other words, this appears while the phone is NOT on a lock screen, but instead "turns on" the lock screen to display the alerts and clock.

Again, I don't know if this can be accomplished any other way than a ROOT access to the system so it can have access to API necessary to "wake" phone while untouched, and/or custom ROM.

Last edited: